Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Givi 30L panniers  (Read 861 times)

Offline MilliniumFalcon

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: San Diego
Re: Givi 30L panniers
Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 05:34:40 AM
*Originally Posted by Rufus2010 [+]
I still don’t get it. I read what you say and look at the pictures and I cannot see where tue swingarm is anywhere near the mounting rack. The lower front attachment points are on the passenger foot peg mounts, well outside of the swingarm, and the tear lower mounting points ate on the license playe holder, well behind the swingarm. I just can’t see what you are describing.
  The muffler is much closer to the swingarm than any point of the rack.

Yeah I guess looking at my own photos, you are correct.  The closest point of contact is the passenger peg mounting bar, and although its quite close (about half an inch on the left side) there's no real reason why the rack has to flare out beyond that  narrowest point....***perhaps to clear the giant tail rack that is normally required to mount the panniers racks? (the two racks don't flow together very naturally, I'm guessing the made the main rack first and then built the pannier rack to fit around it)

I've had racks flex inwards on other bikes on bumpy roads, and the Givi rep mentioned that they usually flex test the racks and each new model bike's mounting points to determine which rack system they can safely make for each model of bike - they want to be able to control how big of a set of their boxes you can strap to the bike, they use a small rack and a larger rack system to control that - the bigger boxes can't mount to the smaller rack.  The mounting points and system on the z900rs was deemed too weak/flexible for the bigger rack setup...so maybe the extra bit of flair is also safety net for inward flex?

edit (tons of edits)  - mind you that the flair from the passenger peg mounting point to the plane of the rack is really only an inch or two at the most...like I said the optical illusion of the camera and the narrow duckbill tail section make the whole setup look needlessly flared... 

Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 05:55:31 AM by MilliniumFalcon

Offline Rufus2010

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Minnesota
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 05:49:17 AM
Maybe so. Who knows. I suspect ease of manufacture related to common parts for other frames and maybe liability concerns.

Offline Notsoaverageguy

• Forum Supporter
    and Approved Vendor
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Cafe 900
  • Town / City: Sandiego
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 03:34:31 PM
Nice work! Man when I look at your rig I get  agita! I thought you were moving :745: I think it looks just fine, and I would want the extra security of all that clearance. I mean itís just for touring. Not like it needs to be in a fashion show :110: I see you do a lot of your own maintenance judging by you garage equipment. What city you in? I am in lakeside.
Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler!
(Albert Einstein)

Offline MilliniumFalcon

• Z900RS Member
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 08:11:46 PM
*Originally Posted by Notsoaverageguy [+]
Nice work! Man when I look at your rig I get  agita! I thought you were moving :745: I think it looks just fine, and I would want the extra security of all that clearance. I mean itís just for touring. Not like it needs to be in a fashion show :110: I see you do a lot of your own maintenance judging by you garage equipment. What city you in? I am in lakeside.

Oh cool, I just touched Lakeside a couple days ago at the end of wildcat canyon road!  We have so much new pavement in San Diego on some of our best roads, I'm spending more and more time around the local stomping grounds...such a blessing!   

I recall seeing something you made on the forum recently, not sure where or what, but I remember thinking "no way I could do that!" Haha, I'm just a hack who swore off any dealer maintenance a few years ago...part and parcel with having too many bikes that need said maintenance.  Been enjoying going through an old airhead, what a wonderfully simple design, still don't consider myself a bmw fanboy though haha. 

I'm living in la jolla, let me know next time you're planning to ride, I'm just heading out now...

Offline Notsoaverageguy

• Forum Supporter
    and Approved Vendor
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Cafe 900
  • Town / City: Sandiego
Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 08:35:20 PM
Oh cool, I live in the middle of wildcat it IS my stopping ground  :047: and yes we do have awesome roads dont we? Have you done Mt Laguna? its a great loop through Julian. And you could make anything you put your mind to (and buy the tools for it) :152:
Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler!
(Albert Einstein)

Offline MilliniumFalcon

• Z900RS Member
Reply #15 on: August 02, 2020, 07:35:13 PM
*Originally Posted by Notsoaverageguy [+]
Oh cool, I live in the middle of wildcat it IS my stopping ground  :047: and yes we do have awesome roads dont we? Have you done Mt Laguna? its a great loop through Julian. And you could make anything you put your mind to (and buy the tools for it) :152:

Sounds like a great spot!  I love Mt Laguna, one of these days I'll get a turkey up there during bow season. 

I did a pretty long route yesterday, 440 miles of some of my favorite canyon roads, having a hard time making an exacting map after the fact, need to figure out a better system than trying to force google maps to do it and fighting the efficient routing algorithm every step of the way... 

But I hit Mt Laguna - sort of - via 79...

Started things off blasting through Rancho Santa Fe, up Highland Valley raceway (my favorite road locally) Old julian highway around Ramona, Wynola Road (my favorite semi secret around Julian) from Julian I went down the 79 to the 8 and then back up the 79 to Julian again just for good measure, god that new pavement is good, but traffic not so much (sorry to anyone who happened to be driving a minivan on the 79 yesterday...if you'd just pull over or slow down briefly you could avoid the scary race pass).  Back at Julian went down banner grade to Borrego Springs so I could ride Montezuma back up, over to top to Idyllwild via warner springs and the 371 through Anza, down that incredible grade to Banning (new pavement!!) where the big burn going on was pretty amazing to see, tons of airliner slurry drops!   From Banning I slogged it to Palm desert on the slab, and then ended up getting stuck with a road closure at the very beginning of the 74 in Palm desert for about 45 minutes before getting to head back up the mountains, sitting on the curb in 105 degree heat as it got dark, but at least I got to ride to the front of the line and be the first one back on the road going back up haha, NO TRAFFIC!!  But man handlebar mounted lights are worthless at night in the canyons - counter steering your headlight AWAY from where you're going lol, at least with the fullish moon you could see some road glinting ahead.  At Anza I basically retraced my route back home, minus the loops through Borrego Springs and Julian... 

Something like 11.5 hours...the new seat is okay in my book, but would still prefer a more upright bike on these longer rides I think.  Being able to effortlessly blast at 80 on any straight section of a canyon road fairly does make miles disappear quickly though...

Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:37:37 PM by MilliniumFalcon

Offline MilliniumFalcon

• Z900RS Member
Reply #16 on: August 02, 2020, 07:38:50 PM