Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Scenic Picture Thread  (Read 42813 times)

Offline CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold CA.
Re: Scenic Picture Thread
« Reply #290 on: August 11, 2019, 04:09:36 AM »
I averaged 38 mpg for a 250 mile ride all around the Sierra foothills west of the Park and entered via hiway 120 and left via 180, the El Portal entrance. I managed about 50 miles in triple digits over several long deserted straights before climbing above 6,000í in the mountains. Weather was perfect. Like trees? Hard to find shade at times but this old one was quite accommodating. Oak trees dot the foothill landscape but then up high I quickly run into evergreens galore! The river shown is right next to the road for miles. The roar at the rapids (right next to the road) :D was incredible. Can you hear it? The split rock Iím guessing, was at one point a solid mass that split in two when it fell from the mountain. The Busa is a big bike but is dwarfed by that boulder. A Peterbilt would be dwarfed by it. The huge rock overhang is at the El Portal entrance. Was it one piece too sometime in history? Great ride all around. WishUwuzhere to see it.:)

Offline sklover

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 18 Candytone
  • Town / City: bothell
« Reply #291 on: August 11, 2019, 05:32:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]
I averaged 38 mpg for a 250 mile ride all around the Sierra foothills west of the Park and entered via hiway 120 and left via 180, the El Portal entrance. I managed about 50 miles in triple digits over several long deserted straights before climbing above 6,000í in the mountains. Weather was perfect. Like trees? Hard to find shade at times but this old one was quite accommodating. Oak trees dot the foothill landscape but then up high I quickly run into evergreens galore! The river shown is right next to the road for miles. The roar at the rapids (right next to the road) :D was incredible. Can you hear it? The split rock Iím guessing, was at one point a solid mass that split in two when it fell from the mountain. The Busa is a big bike but is dwarfed by that boulder. A Peterbilt would be dwarfed by it. The huge rock overhang is at the El Portal entrance. Was it one piece too sometime in history? Great ride all around. WishUwuzhere to see it.:)

Damn! CaliZed those are some mighty fine pics.  Mighty fine.

Offline CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
« Reply #292 on: August 11, 2019, 06:18:22 AM »
Thanks.  Itís an incredible area for riding.  I moved here two years ago and Iím still finding roads I havenít been on.  Breathing in the air up high not to mention the scenery makes the area a great attraction.  Sometimes, too great, inside the Park at least.  Cars. SUVs, RVs and even buses can fill up the road pretty quickly when the weatherís good.  Camp grounds inside are booked a year in advance.  But, there are many great roads outside the actual Park that are pretty much empty. 

Try piecing the halves of this giant boulder.  Makes me think of all the Falling Rocks signs I see in the mountains.  Can you imagine?

Offline Mastrocinque

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawa Z900-RS Brown
  • Town / City: S„o Paulo
« Reply #293 on: August 11, 2019, 12:08:56 PM »
Incredible, Calized.

I visited the park about 4 years ago. It was amazing.

Unfortunately, I wasnít riding my bike so didnít enjoy the road itself. But after seeing this pictures and reading your posts about it, I added to my bucket list a bike trip to this area!

Itís a pity that your Z had to stay home because of the ABS problem.
Paulo Mastrocinque

Offline Maxacceleration

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: '19 Cafe RR
  • Town / City: Central Wa
« Reply #294 on: August 13, 2019, 04:15:07 AM »
Road some of the interior of the Washington peninsula yesterday. Beauty bodies of water, trees and clouds. We had some good seafood too.
Lot of fun with good curving roads, all lined with developed water front property. Such is life, but the ride was good!
Very scenic. Like fresh oysters??  :821:

Old is new again

Offline halbie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Portland
« Reply #295 on: August 13, 2019, 04:38:45 AM »
Day 1 of 5 of solo touring around central and northern Washington State.  Did 300+ miles today taking the long routes from Portland to Leavenworth.

Will post more scenic stuff later, but this is scenic enough for me right now, camping outside Leavenworth with a large beer in hand and good tunes on my Bluetooth headphones.  And the weather is perfect. 

Offline CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
« Reply #296 on: August 13, 2019, 05:14:15 AM »
Nice.  I used to ride/camp but making camp (and) breaking camp every day was just too much.  I also learned to arrive at wherever I was camping well before dark.  Setting up camp in the dark is no fun!  :008:

Offline halbie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Portland
« Reply #297 on: August 13, 2019, 09:04:52 PM »
Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA

Also passed 10,000 miles!

Offline CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
« Reply #298 on: August 13, 2019, 10:19:59 PM »
Niiiice!

Offline sklover

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 18 Candytone
  • Town / City: bothell
Mount Rainier National Park
« Reply #299 on: August 14, 2019, 06:41:04 AM »
Motored to Mt Rainier, Sunrise specifically.  Was an awesome day.  My longest jaunt so far.  Get ready for it, a 209 mi round trip.  When all you seat time monsters stop laughing just give me credit for 8 hours total trip time, with the Sunrise stop about 1.5 hours.  My first (of 2) gas stops was about a half hour break too.  So I was riding for ~ 6 hours.  A bunch of the route is slow and I ran into horrible rush hour stop and go traffic on the way home which added a bunch.  Nothing like being halted on I-405 with a billion cars n trucks.  I got away from that as soon as I could.  I also rode in the rain for the first time.  It was brief, and not *that* heavy, but a regular rain an I was quite concerned with the oil coming up on the first moisture after a dry spell, though it was fine.  Pissed off the folks behind me on NB 410 as I slowed to 40 in a 55   I was really glad for the clouds, as when I first got to Sunrise in the bright sunshine it was ridiculously hot..  Woulda been a good day fer a swim.  The full size of all these shots have decent detail..

There's a mountain in the distance against the left margin mid pic, that's Mount Adams, a 12280' volcano.  The airmiles line o sight from me to Adams is 50 miles.

The scent and aroma of the air in the park was intoxicating.

Is that a honking bad mofo or what?  This picture is abysmally composed, instead of the huuuuuge panorama all I got was a down in the bowl effect, oh well...

that's Little Tahoma on the left (11,138'), the top 3000+' vertical of Rainier is cloud shrouded in this photo..  The flower show was still going great petals, an impressive display.  Rainier is known to have one of *the* most impressive wildflower meadows..

ya don't get glaciers like that in NY, eh..

It's Golden Oldies Time