Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Turn signal swap from US spec to Euro spec LED ReDux  (Read 6441 times)

Online IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Noblesville
Re: Turn signal swap from US spec to Euro spec LED ReDux
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2019, 04:41:52 PM »
Just got a set of the Euro LED Turn Signals from someone at the German RS forum for 50 Euros plus 16 Euros for shipping.  Total around 75 Dollars.  He sent it out today and I should have them in about 10 Days. 
He said they are practically brand new since he switched over to Rizoma Turn signals when he first got the bike.    Saved me about 111 Dollars from what Webbike wanted for them.   Can't wait to install them.   :046:
I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.

Online IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 03:27:48 AM »
Got the Turn Signals from the Forum member in Germany today.   The Ends were cut off since he needed his connectors for the aftermarket turn signals which is fine since I don't need them.
I am just wondering how much wire is required to reach the connectors?   I have the orange connectors but hate to put them on if I need to extend the wire.   I guess I will have to take things apart
first and see how long the originals are and go from there. 

Thanks again for a great write up.   
I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.

Offline ve3hzz

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Oshawa
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2019, 03:40:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by IndyTom [+]
Got the Turn Signals from the Forum member in Germany today.   The Ends were cut off since he needed his connectors for the aftermarket turn signals which is fine since I don't need them.
I am just wondering how much wire is required to reach the connectors?   I have the orange connectors but hate to put them on if I need to extend the wire.   I guess I will have to take things apart
first and see how long the originals are and go from there. 

Thanks again for a great write up.

I'd say it all depends on how much wire was chopped off? If just at the connector then I would think it should be fine. But your correct in not doing the crimp till you confirm by routing it onto the bike. Once you take the old off you can see the length and if the new ones without any connector are about the same you should be fine. My guess is however you'll need to add a bit (on the rear espcially) as the front again it will depend on the length of wire you have, but those need to be longer or as long as original as they need some slack going into the headlight bucket.

Last one is of the rear on mine.

You can see the hole where they route up through and plug into the connector.
But I.m sure you will be fine.
 :305: :821:
81 Kawasaki KZ 750E2
84 Honda CB750SC Nighthawk S (Canadian Model)
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
18 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

Online IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2019, 04:40:17 AM »
Thanks v3hzz for the pictures.   I hope I don't have to add any wire but we shall see.  Going to try and install them tomorrow.   Thanks again for your input and advice!

Offline ve3hzz

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2019, 09:52:35 AM »
Thanks v3hzz for the pictures.   I hope I don't have to add any wire but we shall see.  Going to try and install them tomorrow.   Thanks again for your input and advice!

No problem hope it can help. Good luck with the install I am sure you will be fine. IF you run into a snag post here or send me a PM if I can help at all..but you got this!

Scott

81 Kawasaki KZ 750E2
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
18 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

Online IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2019, 03:40:11 PM »
Thanks Scott.   As I feared the turn signal wires are too short.  I have some bullet type connectors which I will use to connect more wire and go from there.  I am sure it will be fine. 

Offline ve3hzz

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2019, 03:31:20 AM »
Thanks Scott.   As I feared the turn signal wires are too short.  I have some bullet type connectors which I will use to connect more wire and go from there.  I am sure it will be fine.

Just remember to make sure to use some good dielectric grease in the end of the connector and seal it up then with some heat shrink tube. IT will make the connection water tight (mostly) and keep corrosion at bay. This might seem like overkill but for long trouble free miles it will be worth it. I didn't do that in a connector I put under the seat of my 02 Nomad and a couple years later had to trace it back to that connector and cut and splice in to get rid of the green corrosion that got there...and only from condensation not washing or riding in rain! It was a nice DRY spot which I think is why I didn't follow that process...just an fyi...

Scott
81 Kawasaki KZ 750E2
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
18 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

Online IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2019, 04:24:31 AM »
Thanks for the tips!   I didn't use any grease but I did use Shrink wrap connectors and the wire adapters did have a clear rubber sleeve to fully cover the Bullet connectors.   I made sure all connections are rock solid. 
The Kawasaki wire Turn signal adapters worked like a charm.   They were $5.95 plus Tax for the pair at Cycle Gear.  Lucky for me there is a store about 5 miles from where I live.   The Euro Turn Signals look a lot more
modern and streamlined.  Unlike the North American Blinkers which are larger and very edgy.     Still trying to decide if I should go with a Tail Tidy/Fender eliminator or just leave it the way it is.   
I want to do some SW-Motech Blaze or Legend Soft Luggage and if I do I don't think a Tail Tidy would work since it will put the Signals too far back.   So I guess I will just leave well enough alone. 

Offline ve3hzz

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2019, 11:16:14 AM »
Glad it worked out for you. As far as tail tidy it depends on which one you get.

Mine seems to be in about the same place as the OEM based on what I can tell looking at the OEM tail section and the one I changed....it's made by Savage was and e-bay purchase

And the OEM for reference

But I guess it depends on which one you get as to where they are located and on what else you plan on installing...

81 Kawasaki KZ 750E2
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
18 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

Online IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 01:20:42 PM »
WOW, I like your turn signals.   I may have to change again  :002:   But I guess I better leave well enough alone.   It's a nice day today and me and a friend are hitting the trails for a nice 9 hour ride . 
He has the same identical bike I have except for the turn signals.    Going to do more research on the Tail Tidy's to make sure they won't interfere with some soft luggage which I am going to try and
find.   Flying to Germany this fall so if everything else fails I will get it there.