Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Chic Design Bikini Cowl  (Read 50653 times)

Offline BlueMarbleRider

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS DL1000 FE390
  • Town / City: Vancouver Island
Re: Chic Design Bikini Cowl
Reply #230 on: January 25, 2020, 12:47:13 AM
Yeah that's too bad.  Who makes that one?  One reason I went for the Road Comet was it is perhaps less rounded, has a very slim front profile and some angles to it.  Gives it a bit of definition.  Also, unlike the root beer version, the black Z has no graphics on the tail, so the front looks balanced with that.  But to each there own.  Good luck with the graphics.
Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:02:11 AM by BlueMarbleRider

Offline SL4GSTER

• Z900RS Junior Member
Reply #231 on: February 02, 2020, 05:46:46 AM
I received my chic design road comet. Looks great. I see your all talking about the rubber grommets. Got those too but the metal inserts (goes inside the rubber grommets) are too small for the bolt that fits the side of the headlight. Iíll try to find larger ones, shouldnít be hard but will the larger ones fit inside the rubber grommets. Not sure yet.
I had a day yesterday trying to dry fit (not yet got the metal inserts) the road comet.
So how the hell Can I fit it?? If I unscrew the headlight side bolts the nut inside the headlight   falls off. So I have to undo all the headlight, silver cover and unscrew the interior headlight to get to the nut. Ok so, that done. Now try to fit again. There is no way I can now bolt in the comet, the interior headlight and silver cover when the nose cone is blocking it all.
Iím not entirely mechanically dysfunctional but it just seems impossible to fit without the interior bolts not being fixed/glued or somehow unable to fall off.
Please, anyone who has fitted this before help me out here. There must be some kind of trick.
I hope you understand my dilemma and my explanation.

Offline halbie

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Portland
Reply #232 on: February 02, 2020, 08:02:03 AM
*Originally Posted by SL4GSTER [+]
I see your all talking about the rubber grommets. Got those too but the metal inserts (goes inside the rubber grommets) are too small for the bolt that fits the side of the headlight. Iíll try to find larger ones, shouldnít be hard but will the larger ones fit inside the rubber grommets.
I had a day yesterday trying to dry fit (not yet got the metal inserts) the road comet.
So how the hell Can I fit it?? If I unscrew the headlight side bolts the nut inside the headlight   falls off. So I have to undo all the headlight, silver cover and unscrew the interior headlight to get to the nut. Ok so, that done. Now try to fit again. There is no way I can now bolt in the comet, the interior headlight and silver cover when the nose cone is blocking it all.
Iím not entirely mechanically dysfunctional but it just seems impossible to fit without the interior bolts not being fixed/glued or somehow unable to fall off.

Something isnít right but itís unclear to me based on your description. Maybe photos would help? Iím wondering whether you have the wrong grommets bc the metal insert isnít too small on mine.  And you should be able to hold the fairing up to the bike with your hands (your ďdry runĒ)  and get a good idea of placement. Is it possible you have the bottom edge of the fairing misaligned or too high when you hold it up to the bike?

Offline SL4GSTER

• Z900RS Junior Member
Reply #233 on: February 02, 2020, 08:38:52 AM
The rubber grommets I can work around. Itís the fact that when I unscrew the bolt holding headlight housing the nut inside is not fixed so it falls off. So when I need to bolt back the Ďchic designí cowl I can not get a spanner inside the headlight to hold the nut to bolt on the cowl because the cowl and silver headlight bracket is in the way.
Are the nuts inside your headlight housing fixed or loose?
This should be an easy fix but Iím stumped.

Online mfairplay

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Cape Cod, Mass.
Reply #234 on: February 02, 2020, 10:28:26 AM
*Originally Posted by SL4GSTER [+]
The rubber grommets I can work around. Itís the fact that when I unscrew the bolt holding headlight housing the nut inside is not fixed so it falls off. So when I need to bolt back the Ďchic designí cowl I can not get a spanner inside the headlight to hold the nut to bolt on the cowl because the cowl and silver headlight bracket is in the way.
Are the nuts inside your headlight housing fixed or loose?
This should be an easy fix but Iím stumped.

I mounted a different fairing but it appears the procedure is the same: As you found out, the nut inside the headlight will be too loose or fall off. Take the chrome ring off, and then remove the four small screws that hold the headlight. No need to take the headlight out but you will have the wriggle room to stick a wrench in to hold the nut while you tighten. I saw step-by-step instructions to fit your fairing but I don't recall where (either here or on YT).
Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 10:29:59 AM by mfairplay
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by the Man!" Peter Fonda as Heavenly Blues in "The Wild Angels"

Offline SL4GSTER

• Z900RS Junior Member
Reply #235 on: February 02, 2020, 12:57:54 PM
After hours of searching I finally found something on YouTube.
I get it now.
The instructions that came with the chic design are in Japanese and not very easy to understand when Google translating.
Iíll sort it out tomorrow.
Actually it is very easy.
Now I feel like a nob.
Thanks for your feedback people.

Offline BlueMarbleRider

• Z900RS Member
Reply #236 on: February 02, 2020, 04:34:09 PM
*Originally Posted by Ove [+]
Good video. Well done. Be interested in your riding experience of the fairing :152:

Cheers, Ove.

Offline pikerin

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS candy brown
  • Town / City: Vigo
Reply #237 on: February 26, 2020, 06:05:42 PM
expensive, took ages to arrive, but looks gorgeous and does reduce chest pressure, very happy with it

Offline BlueMarbleRider

• Z900RS Member
Reply #238 on: February 27, 2020, 12:48:40 AM
Looks gorgeous.  Haven't had chance to ride my Z yet, but will soon.  Glad to hear the fairing deflects some air.  Any helmet buffet?  I rode mine to about 80kmh and felt nothing. 

Cheers.

Offline TallyRex

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 900 Root Beer, V1K
  • Town / City: Tallahassee
Reply #239 on: February 27, 2020, 07:30:14 AM
Had mine for 2 years now and have never experienced any buffeting up to 120mph  and it still looks new.