Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Chic Design Bikini Cowl  (Read 24794 times)

Online halbie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Portland
Re: Chic Design Bikini Cowl
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2019, 06:01:51 AM »
Very sorry to hear this for you . . . And for me.  I just paid for one a week ago. 

Online TallyRex

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Tallahassee
« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2019, 08:17:55 AM »
Sorry you experienced this problem.  Had mine on for about a year and 3,500 miles with no problems (just went into the garage to check).  While there is some screen vibration, it doesn't shake even at triple digit speeds.

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Noblesville
« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2019, 02:37:38 PM »
I just placed my order and they told me it's going to be 2 month's plus 1 week shipping from Japan to the US.  Seems a very long time for a simple injection molded item to be produced and shipped.   Now that someone says they had cracks and major vibration perhaps I really don't want this fairing if it doesn't old up especially at this price.  With the Current exchange rates PayPal charged me $537 dollars which isn't chump change for me.  If I didn't have my tax return I probably wouldn't have even considered it.   Now there are questions about the quality which makes me wonder if I should just cancel the order.   It does look nice but at that price I want it to not just look nice but last as well. 

Offline Andyb1962

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Jaffa
  • Town / City: Rotherham
« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2019, 03:16:23 PM »
Yes mine “wobbles” at speed. But so will all cowling without top fixing brackets .
When I attached the fairing I was very careful to only “nip” up the bolts on the thread . Fortunately no cracks yet .
It would be better with top mounting brackets , but then it wouldn’t look as good
“Cest la vie !”

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2019, 05:26:36 PM »
Sounds like a definite design flaw.  Not only didn't they brace it sufficiently but they didn't even put Metal bolt supports around the their mounting holes.  Regardless of how carefully and softly you tighten the bolts those are major stress points and over time and with the inherent vibration of the motorcycle that area will crack.  I think I will cancel my order since this isn't what I am looking forward to.

Offline ACL9000

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Ninja 250, Z900RS
« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2019, 09:20:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by halbie [+]
Very sorry to hear this for you . . . And for me.  I just paid for one a week ago.
It's no biggie; windscreens don't last forever. I don't mind having to get a new one, and this time I'll take some proactive measures to address the shortcomings in the design.
*Originally Posted by IndyTom [+]
Seems a very long time for a simple injection molded item to be produced and shipped.
Well, the fairing itself is fiberglass, and painted very well. You're right that it's a long time – I think the turnaround for my order was six weeks.
*Originally Posted by Andyb1962 [+]
Yes mine “wobbles” at speed. But so will all cowling without top fixing brackets .
I try to keep it below 75 at all times pretty much because watching the thing vibrate on the highway made me nervous.
When I attached the fairing I was very careful to only “nip” up the bolts on the thread . Fortunately no cracks yet .
It would be better with top mounting brackets , but then it wouldn’t look as good
Well-designed stays won't look anything at all, because they'd be well-hidden. I'm going to take a stab at designing something that will shore up the fairing and prevent a lot of the stress that must have killed the windscreen. I'm thinking a U-shaped brace that attaches under the fairing using the supplied hardware, and then two brackets that attach on the sides, somewhere. It might be a good idea to work some rubber bushings into the mix to damp out as much of the vibes as possible. This'll take me a while, but when I have a successful result I'll let everyone know.
*Originally Posted by IndyTom [+]
Sounds like a definite design flaw.
Oh, it totally is. They should have supplied steel stays from the get-go, and they should go back and redesign some in right now, and mail the rest of us the new parts.
I think I will cancel my order since this isn't what I am looking forward to.
Tell them why, and suggest that if they developed a support brace and supplied existing customers with it as a gesture of goodwill they might not have to deal with many more cancellations. I doubt they'll respond accordingly, but it's worth a shot.

Just to be clear for everyone: the fairing is fine. It's very sturdy, and while I'm sure tens of thousands of miles might cause cracks to appear eventually, I think we're a long way from that happening. The polycarbonate screen is what gave up on me.

In the region of Connecticut where I live and ride the roads are ***bad***. India has nicer roadways. I have no doubt that nobody in Japan thinks about designing to withstand these conditions. It's completely understandable that the thing didn't like being shaken and jarred so vigorously. Frankly, I don't like it either.

I have a Mustang GT with the performance pack and this Z900RS, and I sold my CBR600RR to put a down-payment on the 'Stang. What I really should have is a beat-to-hell truck on big squishy tires and another beat-to-hell KDX. I picked the wrong vehicles for my sub-third-world environment. The joke is on Connecticut, though, 'cause I'm leaving as soon as I can afford it.

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2019, 11:29:09 PM »
My guess your roads are about as bad as ours.  Indianapolis was recently named Pothole capitol of the world.  Our temperature changes are drastic and can go from Minus 40 in the winter to 100+ in the summer.  They patched over 100,000 Potholes since the beginning of the year and there are still over 40,000 being reportet as non fixed.  This is an ongoing problem.  I have been all over the US and Europe and while some places come close I have never seen roads in such disrepair than here in Indiana.  So if you leave Connecticut don't move here.   My brother popped 2 brand new tires on his car on different spots on I-65.  When I came to his rescue there were 4 more cars in the same area all with blown tires and bent rims.   
Anyway, I will contact them regarding the fairing and do as you suggest.  That the fairing is flawed in it's current design and needs some metal stays on the mounting points to brace and prevent vibration and possible cracking of the fairing around the mounting holes.    Good Luck with yours.  Let me know if you come up with a solution.  I may reconsider my decision.

Offline ACL9000

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2019, 10:19:49 PM »
Actually, it sounds like your roads are the winners. Ours here are just heaving, crumbling, chip-seal covered in sand and gravel and fallen limbs. 140,000 potholes that'll kill your tires are another level entirely, although I'd figure they're not impossible to avoid if you spot them soon enough.

I followed up with Samurider and as I expected Chic Design don't warranty the windscreen against cracks.  I think what I'll do is take the fairing off for now, and I'll order a new one when I've got the spare cash for it. They told me it would be $180, which sounds really extreme, but I guess I'm in competition with Japanese domestic-market customers who are globally notorious for paying ludicrous sums without question, so it's no surprise. I was really hoping to hear $60, though.

I checked again and one of my little plastic washers is also cracked, so even though I thought I didn't go too rough on the fasteners I'm starting to suspect it's possible I did. When I get the new screen I'm going to do it as lightly as possible without allowing any wiggling, and just glob some threadlocker on there to be sure.

Still going to work on getting some stays made up. If I can damp out the wiggle at the top of the screen I'll feel a lot better.

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2019, 12:22:35 AM »
What do you mean with getting one for $180 but you were hoping for $60??   The fairing is $540 bucks shipped so I am not sure what you meant.   
I still haven't decided if I should cancel my order or just wait and when I get it try and reinforce the mounting holes.  Maybe sandwich it between 2 Metal washers ? 
But if the plastic is prone to cracking than it probably just starts spiderwebbing or cracking where the washers end.    Did anyone else experience any cracking or failures? 

Offline ACL9000

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2019, 12:33:32 AM »
I'm noticing a lot of you guys don't seem to comprehend the distinction between the fairing itself and the windscreen. I'm talking about the clear piece of polycarbonate plastic. Typically something like that is around 60 dollars, give or take a little. In this case it's 180.