Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Poll

Do you do your own 1st service or take it to the dealer?

I do my own
8 (30.8%)
I take it to the dealer
18 (69.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: May 08, 2018, 03:01:37 PM

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 1st service  (Read 7868 times)

Offline rickyb

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Candy z900rs
  • Town / City: Lincoln
Re: 1st service
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2019, 06:56:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Chris [+]
You American guys (and the occasional European) donít seem to understand the difference in law. Our full warranty covers us for parts and Labour against any defect from corrosion to engine failure but the downside is the bike MUST only be services by the dealer or our warranty is void. So itís not a choice. Of course we can take a gamble and do it ourselves but if we go to the dealer complaining of a leaking radiator for example, the first thing the dealer will do is check his computer to see if all the services have been carried out by a dealer at the correct time and if his computer says no then heíll tell you to feck off and do it yourself - simple.
Not quite true but in the real world,yes easier to go main dealer. Eu law states a vehicle can be maintained by any vat registered mechanic and as long as parts and schedule exactly match manufacturers requirements then warranty must be honoured. However you stand to lose any goodwill from your dealer and unless you are vat registered diy is not an option.
Suzuki uf50, HondaCG125 ,Triumph Daytona955i, KTM990smt.

Online Oop North John

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: NE Scotland
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2019, 07:30:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by rickyb [+]
Not quite true but in the real world,yes easier to go main dealer. Eu law states a vehicle can be maintained by any vat registered mechanic and as long as parts and schedule exactly match manufacturers requirements then warranty must be honoured. However you stand to lose any goodwill from your dealer and unless you are vat registered diy is not an option.

I think that somehow Triumph have worded their warranty so that the option of going to anywhere other that one of their dealers voids the warranty. And what they've done is EU legal!

Offline RetroZ

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900rs
  • Town / City: Glasgow
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2019, 08:12:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by Oop North John [+]
I think that somehow Triumph have worded their warranty so that the option of going to anywhere other that one of their dealers voids the warranty. And what they've done is EU legal!

Triumph can word the warranty anyway they like, but EU "Block Exemption Laws" still take precedent. Any warranty offered is in addition to your rights under " EU consumer law" and not instead of. So, while Triumph state you must use their dealer, it carries no weight in EU law.

Online Mastrocinque

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawa Z900-RS Brown
  • Town / City: S„o Paulo
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2019, 02:15:36 AM »
Here in Brasil we get a 2 year warranty period.

BUT, you've got to have it serviced in official Kawasaki dealers. Otherwise, the warranty is voided.
So, I won't have to worry about where to take it for services for a good amount of time...I won't risk voiding the warranty, no way.

:012:
Paulo Mastrocinque

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold CA.
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2019, 03:57:45 AM »
Having bought a handful of new bikes (and cars) in my life, luckily Iíve never had to use a warranty.  I have heard of their value though but paying for dealer only servicing for years, is not just expensive, itís a scam.

Offline Kris

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Richmond
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2019, 02:57:21 AM »
f### the dealer!

Offline Jim

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Bike: 2019 z900rs Cafe
  • Town / City: Poway
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2019, 02:16:07 AM »
I'll be doing my own maintenance for the first service. It's been so long since I owned a chain driven bike that I need to relearn the procedure. I noticed the owners manual says to adjust the chain with the bike on the side stand. I've installed a center stand and will use it for the adjustment.
I'm not a mechanic, I just know how to turn a wrench.
1981 Suzuki GS1000g
2003 Yamaha V Max
2008 Yamaha FJR1300
2019 Kawasaki z900rs Cafe

Offline Hillie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2019, 02:21:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jim [+]
I'll be doing my own maintenance for the first service. It's been so long since I owned a chain driven bike that I need to relearn the procedure. I noticed the owners manual says to adjust the chain with the bike on the side stand. I've installed a center stand and will use it for the adjustment.

That's probably not the best idea. Using a front wheel chock would be better than a center stand, as you keep the rear wheel on the ground, as you would with the side stand. That means the rear suspension is compressed and it'll likely put a little different tension on the chain, instead of having the swingarm and wheel "hanging free".

Online MexicoMike

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2019, 03:12:21 PM »
Do what the owners manual says.  You want weight on the rear wheel to make the adjustment.  Also, be sure to rotate the wheel to the point where there is the LEAST chain play (chain is tightest) and make the adjustment at that point.
MexicoMike
1973 Norton Commando, BMW R9T (Mexico)
2017 BMW R1200RS (Texas, USA)
2019 Z900RS Cafe (UK)

Offline eccles

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: z900rs
  • Town / City: worcester
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2019, 02:33:44 PM »
my 1st service was free parts and labour :047:  :150: