Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Replacing Horn  (Read 4853 times)

Offline OKZ

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Multiple bikes
  • Town / City: Edmond, OK
Re: Replacing Horn
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 02:36:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by CTD [+]
Thanks, OKZ!  By the way, it‘s a dual tone horn with 110 dB and 80 mm diameter. Found it at Amazon for about 15 Euro, so it was worth a try 😉.

That's exactly what I purchased, along with a new horn harness with a relay so I can you the OEM horn electrical connection without drawing too much amperage. I just haven't got around to fabricating a mount. Did you fabricate the bracket yourself? If so, are you interested in making another on and selling it me? I pay well  :038:
Technology: Man's ability to make simple things complicated.
2018 Z900RS - Hooligan bike
2018 BMW K1600B - for traveling in style and comfort

Online CTD

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Hofheim
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 08:08:03 AM »
First, happy to provide you with the link.  It relates to the German Amazon page, but on that basis it should be easy to find it on amazon.com or elsewhere as well.

https://smile.amazon.de/gp/product/B01N1LKLZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Second, I actually didn‘t need to build a new bracket, as I just used what came with the new horns.  I therefore screwed the two horns together on their respective plain sheets and mounted them to the lowest, centrally (!) located screw thread of the head lamp.  Just used a slightly longer screw (30 mm) with a flat screw head plus two thicker washers to get sufficient distance to the mount.

For the electrical connection I also just used the four short cables that already came with the horns.  I covered them with shrink hoses for both black appearance and heat protection.  Finally, I crimped one plug to every two cables. I have absolutely no concerns that this could be drawing too much amperage even w/o an additional relais.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:50:18 AM by CTD »

Offline OKZ

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Multiple bikes
  • Town / City: Edmond, OK
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 12:01:25 PM »
Excellent CTD, job well done. Appreciate you sharing that, I thought about that but I did not look into it.  :028:
Technology: Man's ability to make simple things complicated.
2018 Z900RS - Hooligan bike
2018 BMW K1600B - for traveling in style and comfort

Offline Mastrocinque

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawa Z900-RS Brown
  • Town / City: São Paulo
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 10:11:41 PM »
First, happy to provide you with the link.  It relates to the German Amazon page, but on that basis it should be easy to find it on amazon.com or elsewhere as well.

https://smile.amazon.de/gp/product/B01N1LKLZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Found this in the american amazon page:

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-011225802-Black-77mm-Universal/dp/B01C8F0AUY/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=2+piece+motorcycle+horn&qid=1561064930&s=gateway&sr=8-2

It looks similar. What do you think?

Tks
Paulo Mastrocinque

Online CTD

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Hofheim
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2019, 10:29:13 PM »
Hella is a top German manufacturer 👍 They should actually work fine as well as long as you can live with the white lettering.  I just suggest to compare the length of the plain sheets on the Hellas with those I used.  Good luck!

Online pikerin

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS candy brown
  • Town / City: Vigo
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2019, 09:17:26 AM »
Did it this way also.  Was easy to install and IMHO looks way better than the original.  Sounds better and louder as well.

Well done CDT, I like it a lot, hope to do the same soon, thanks for the info, I'll post when I get mine done

Offline Feelooz

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Kawasaki Z 900 RS
  • Town / City: Orléans
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2019, 09:29:18 AM »

Offline Nexus.6

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Toulouse
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2019, 03:07:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Feelooz [+]

So you have twice the same horn..? It doen't produce a chord..?

Offline Feelooz

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Kawasaki Z 900 RS
  • Town / City: Orléans
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2019, 04:08:30 PM »
I would love it produce an Em7, but nothing like that. Only a good old horn sound  :002:

Offline cycle948Z

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: gville
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2019, 05:31:49 PM »
I installed the Denali sound bomb mini. I like the sound and fit. It's louder than OEM for sure and it fits in the same location with a few bracket mods. I thought about installing the sound bomb compact (two part air horn), but it's bulky :110: and I don't need an airhorn. This mini sound bomb sounds more equivalent to a compact car, with a "honk" instead of a "beep"! That's what I like about it. It took me no longer than ten minutes to install. It's not completely hidden under the cowl, but that doesn't bother me at all.   :018:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 05:52:22 PM by cycle948Z »