Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: If you installed aftermarket headers, what else did you do?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Redlinez

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: None currently
  • Town / City: North Carolina
Re: If you installed aftermarket headers, what else did you do?
Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 08:08:33 PM
I'm pretty sure Chris Moore in SC would be another tuner to consider.  www.mooremafia.com.  I know he tunes a ton of bikes every day and races on weekends. 
No bike now.....

Offline mfairplay

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Cape Cod, Mass.
Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 06:15:25 PM
Before installing some Akra headers, I wanted to know what to do about the PAIR stuff and O2 sensor:

-- Akra's install instructions say to plug in the O2 sensor. No mention of having to flash or doing anything else
-- Ivan's site says his flash disables PAIR and O2 sensor and you can leave both in place. However, he sells block-off plates for the Z900RS so it seemed a bit contradictory.
-- 2WheelDyno says their flash disables PAIR and O2 sensor but you should unplug the O2 sensor and block the AIS hose at the airbox.

Had the ECU flashed by 2WheelDyno so I did what they instructed. Now, all I need is some slightly warmer weather...

Offline Dirty Dave

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2018 Jaffa
  • Town / City: Montreal
Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 08:39:43 PM
You are gonna have FUN!

:821:
18 Z900RS Jaffa
97 Honda Valkyrie
79 Honda GoldWing

Online Otown

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Ottawa
Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 09:44:27 PM
I second Dave's sentiment, we both have that flash and we are both quite happy. It definitely makes it a better ride.

Online timmybiker4

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: z900rs 2019
  • Town / City: devon
Reply #14 on: January 26, 2021, 12:11:10 PM
*Originally Posted by mfairplay [+]
Everything I've read indicates that if change the headers, you would want to unplug the sensor, block PAIR system and flash. Yet, looking at Akrapovic's website for their headers, they don't mention anything about the sensor or PAIR and in the fine print recommend the Rapid EVO unit with a new map. I haven't looked into headers from Lextex, Delkevic etc but I'm curious as to what they recommend.

So, my question: If you changed your headers, what else did you do?
Yup I changed to the Delkevic headers and have kept the stock muffler. I am finding it a little loud though. I am sill waiting (from China) for an insert type db killer just to take the edge off the growl a bit. I chose the honeycomb type, not the capped end with holes in type.
I have the Woolich flash on the ECU, removed O2 sensor, fitted K&N air filter, and blanked off the PAIR valves and removed their gubbins'. Also I turned down the fast cold idle a little as it was racing on start up.
Of course one doesn't have to do anything if they change the headers, as Akro and Delk state.
 My thoughts on this?
The engine is already running lean on the idle to 5k rev range. Which is causing it to run a little hot, in my opinion. Adding a header and removing the CAT and bread bin has just made it run even leaner but in a shorter rev range, say idle to 4k, in my opinion.
If you had a switch on your bike which put into place the mods mentioned here, so you could ride stock for say 10 miles and then switch the mods on, you would understand immediately why we do it. It feels much smoother and no jerky throttle when trying to slow manoeuvre. It picks up better with a more progressive acceleration and, of course runs and smells cooler.
And while you asked, i changed the god damn awful Dunlops over to Bridgestone S22.
Each to their own i guess, whatever you do, just enjoy!

Offline zed9rs

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Calliope
Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 09:03:38 PM
Hi.
I blocked off the pairs and removed it altogether when I installed my akra headers because I couldn't stand the loud popping and crackling going on. The blockoff kit came with a sensor bypass to plug in and prevent any fault lights.
I found the stock muffler to be too loud with the headers and wasn't happy with it so I ordered the akra muffler. Well, turns out the akra muffler is designed for the akra headers funnily enough... this made all the difference, the note was much better and it quietened it down to a good level.. and still plenty loud enough.
I installed a PC5 and began fiddling with fuel maps with some help with the auto tune and didnt have much success.
 I eventually had enough of fiddling with the PC5 and sent the Ecu to Ivan for a flash tune.. wow what a difference that made.. 121hp atw now and smooth as... definately recommend this. I had the pairs disabled with this as well but left the block off kit on because it still does away with all that unnecessary crap on the bike.
Well that's my experience. I have had the bike for 3 years now and wouldn't change a thing. It runs and sounds great.
Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 09:16:39 PM by zed9rs

Offline mfairplay

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Cape Cod, Mass.
Reply #16 on: February 13, 2021, 10:53:34 PM
I went full monty (deleted O2, PAIR and flashed). 2WheelDyno did the flash. I used them because they were having a sale (and I also like doing biz with a forum supporter). It's too cold to ride, at least for me, so I haven't been able to try out the new toys. Here in New England, winter is just getting started.

Offline bansheebeat

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Bangkok
Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 02:19:04 AM
What if I kept the stock headers but remove the cat and box?

Online timmybiker4

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: z900rs 2019
  • Town / City: devon
Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 05:08:52 AM
*Originally Posted by bansheebeat [+]
What if I kept the stock headers but remove the cat and box?
You could do that, but you never know if you might need the box again. Laws change, especially in this environmentaly consious landscape we are all walking toward. Here in the Uk i would not be surprised anyway!
Also, exhaust flow is compromised by the OEM headers, because of the twin-wall construction they are narrower internally than aftermarket.  Another thing to take into account, if you are concidering those link pipes that you fit after cutting just south of the collection box weld.  The cat is still in the pipe, north of the cut, so seemed a bit pointless to me. Each to their own though.

Offline MRA#900 1996

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS CAFE
  • Town / City: Vero Beach
Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 08:27:55 PM
I put the AKRA headers on and didn't do anything else ( SO FAR) and the bike runs GREAT, big improvement!! .BTW I still have the stock can..
 I  need to pull the ECU soon and send it to Ivan.. Then  it will be a dramatic improvement!!
Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 08:29:24 PM by MRA#900 1996