Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: New owner - initial questions/thoughts  (Read 5757 times)

Offline Pappy

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Eustis, Florida
Re: New owner - initial questions/thoughts
Reply #60 on: December 24, 2020, 03:21:55 PM
Coconut oil ! super high burn rate and has all kinds of fun uses!

Online peter88

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2019 JAFFA
  • Town / City: Sunshine Coast
Reply #61 on: December 24, 2020, 11:17:48 PM
Or......you could try cooking with your favorite brand of motorcycle oil so you have a fair comparrison.....then decide !

Offline Sanctuary

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS, ZX6R, ST3 x2
  • Town / City: Wellington
Reply #62 on: December 25, 2020, 07:43:19 AM
*Originally Posted by JoH [+]
All this oil talk got me thinking I should go green for 2021.

Go Motul 300V then. Hopefully someone gets the joke...
A play on words, or words on play
Last chapter, verse in the final act
Words well scripted, each sentence choking
Inaudible gag, blanket which suffocates
As you eat another's words, malnourished, you starve.

Offline Nigellufc

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 18 z900rs Jaffa
  • Town / City: Leeds
Reply #63 on: December 25, 2020, 07:22:46 PM
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]
Longer change intervals, smoother shifting, cooler running motor.  Synth is simply a better motor oil.  Iíve used Amsoil in all my bikes for years with no problems whatsoever.  My Hayabusa has almost 70,000 miles on it and after nearly 15 years Iím still running the original clutch.  I change it every 5,000 miles or so.
Ah, cheers for that
ride fast when its safe,steady when it aint

Offline Ride70

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Lancaster
Reply #64 on: January 26, 2021, 03:06:09 AM
Fuzz monster,
What till itís time for new tires!

Offline wke002

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Member
  • Bike: z900rs
Reply #65 on: January 26, 2021, 06:42:56 AM
Hi, newbie here. Just joined, my history of bike for the last 5 years, Harley Street 750 - Triumph T100 - Tracer GT and beyond 5 years ago, not riding except during childhood with a Honda C70.

Z900RS was supposed to be D bike i wanted and in the end got a Tracer Gt, reason they stop importing these bikes since 2018 and they were pretty hard holding on to an old price, but i supposed nothing has change thru 2021 except for the colours?  (am a big sucker for analog twin dial, and wish they have twin exhaust like CB1100RS/EX)

reason for the urgency, my dealer just got these USED 2018 Z900RS about an hour ago, mileage 16,000km (9941 miles) and am all excited. call him immediately to test ride the bike tomorrow morning, in fact have just applied leave tomorrow, just to go test ride (fyi, i have never tested the Z900RS).

I know i could dive myself in with an immense of information here, but i might skip some important points, hence my urgency of seeking your help what to look out for.

1. what should i be looking for tell tale sign for a 16k used bikes. feel free to list the things i should be looking out, even it sounds stupid.
2. Engine, Gearbox , electronic, ECU - the more crucial heart of a bike.

to be honest, at time of writing now, am all too excited, brain does not function well... cant wait for tmw to test ride the bike. 

I Thank You all and look foward to your contribution knowledge and wise advice.

Online TallyRex

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS God
  • Bike: 900 Root Beer, V1K
  • Town / City: Tallahassee
Reply #66 on: January 26, 2021, 10:40:20 AM
Welcome -

You should check for service history - oil changes, valve clearance, tires.  If those items have been completed per factory requirements, then you're good to go

Offline FuzzMonster

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: TX
Reply #67 on: January 26, 2021, 12:45:57 PM
OP here after an absence...

Havenít ridden the RS since December, nor my Harley.

After many years of kidney disease (slow progression) they got to the point of dialysis being required. So thatís what Iím doing three days a week now.

Besides that, a few days after getting out of the hospital after being in for 7-8 days, my legs stopped working.  I canít even walk, and require a scooter, or a walker.

Iím hoping the leg thing is temporary. Thatís going on two weeks now.

Offline Pappy

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Eustis, Florida
Reply #68 on: January 26, 2021, 03:27:43 PM
Wishing you the very best in your recovery and for the use of your legs again!
I would look for service history as well but am betting the valves have not been checked nor would they need anything. Listen for a noise in the top end just for peace of mind. Other than that I would look for tire wear, chain wear and if the bike has been down.

Offline Sanctuary

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS, ZX6R, ST3 x2
  • Town / City: Wellington
Reply #69 on: January 26, 2021, 08:44:18 PM
*Originally Posted by wke002 [+]
Hi, newbie here. Just joined, my history of bike for the last 5 years, Harley Street 750 - Triumph T100 - Tracer GT and beyond 5 years ago, not riding except during childhood with a Honda C70.

Z900RS was supposed to be D bike i wanted and in the end got a Tracer Gt, reason they stop importing these bikes since 2018 and they were pretty hard holding on to an old price, but i supposed nothing has change thru 2021 except for the colours?  (am a big sucker for analog twin dial, and wish they have twin exhaust like CB1100RS/EX)

reason for the urgency, my dealer just got these USED 2018 Z900RS about an hour ago, mileage 16,000km (9941 miles) and am all excited. call him immediately to test ride the bike tomorrow morning, in fact have just applied leave tomorrow, just to go test ride (fyi, i have never tested the Z900RS).

I know i could dive myself in with an immense of information here, but i might skip some important points, hence my urgency of seeking your help what to look out for.

1. what should i be looking for tell tale sign for a 16k used bikes. feel free to list the things i should be looking out, even it sounds stupid.
2. Engine, Gearbox , electronic, ECU - the more crucial heart of a bike.

to be honest, at time of writing now, am all too excited, brain does not function well... cant wait for tmw to test ride the bike. 

I Thank You all and look foward to your contribution knowledge and wise advice.

May be overkill but I'd ask for an oil sample and then get someone to analyse it (on top of getting service history). I wish I'd done this on a previous used bike I bought...that will tell you how much wear is going on inside the engine/gear-box.

https://www.oillab.co.nz/services/oil-analysis/
A play on words, or words on play
Last chapter, verse in the final act
Words well scripted, each sentence choking
Inaudible gag, blanket which suffocates
As you eat another's words, malnourished, you starve.