Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Is the center stand worth it?  (Read 4378 times)

Online CaliZed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS God
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold CA.
Re: Is the center stand worth it?
Reply #60 on: January 12, 2021, 10:25:13 AM
*Originally Posted by Travelman [+]
WD40 does no harm to O rings, it doesnít take much googling to establish this. However itís also not an especially good lubricant for motorcycle chains, being a very mild solution physically. Itís why WD40 has both dedicated chain cleaner and lubricants to fulfill those roles. Ultimately I suspect thereís little difference in O ring chain life between those who use WD40 regularly, those who use other methods, and those who do pretty well no maintenance, and that riding styles and regular adjustment explain variations.

No, WD40 doesnít destroy the O rings but it does wash away the lube that the O rings are designed to keep in place.

Online peter88

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2019 JAFFA
Reply #61 on: January 12, 2021, 10:51:18 AM
*Originally Posted by Travelman [+]
WD40 does no harm to O rings, it doesn’t take much googling to establish this. However it’s also not an especially good lubricant for motorcycle chains, being a very mild solution physically. It’s why WD40 has both dedicated chain cleaner and lubricants to fulfill those roles. Ultimately I suspect there’s little difference in O ring chain life between those who use WD40 regularly, those who use other methods, and those who do pretty well no maintenance, and that riding styles and regular adjustment explain variations.
Why is it not obvious to anyone that when thousands of riders have been using WD40 on their chains for years & years without it causing any issues regarding chain life & has proven just the opposite....that regardless of what anyone thinks......it just works....Also, isn't it even more obvious that WD40 recognised the way their product was being used by those riders and capitalized on it by introducing WD40 Chain Lubricant.....I would bet there is bugger all difference between the two products.....Even WD40 claim that ithe original---in their words ---- Lubricates just about everything.....
Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:04:54 AM by peter88

Online peter88

• Z900RS Master
Reply #62 on: January 12, 2021, 10:52:22 AM
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]
No, WD40 doesnít destroy the O rings but it does wash away the lube that the O rings are designed to keep in place.
  See above.....

Offline Travelman

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS / FJR1300
  • Town / City: South Shields
Reply #63 on: January 12, 2021, 12:02:33 PM
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]

Iím not so sure about that, but I agree thatís probably the underlying objection. The point is that the O rings are incredibly efficient at retaining the lubricant that is sealed in the chain. They are also, presumably, therefore able to prevent ingress of the WD40 into those sealed areas. I really havenít been able to find any meaningful studies on the subject, just endless forum exchanges!

Online peter88

• Z900RS Master
Reply #64 on: January 12, 2021, 12:11:22 PM
Anyway, we are getting a long way from the original subject...lol...

Offline Salnap

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Springfield Mass
Reply #65 on: January 12, 2021, 09:44:30 PM
The center stand is worth the money if you want a center stand.

Offline CraigT

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: South Somerset
Reply #66 on: January 12, 2021, 10:16:11 PM
*Originally Posted by peter88 [+]
Anyway, we are getting a long way from the original subject...lol...
Very true............and I think we need to agree to disagree................ and move on to another topic...... :440: