Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Is the center stand worth it?  (Read 4629 times)

Offline LA-Z5

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Los Angeles
Re: Is the center stand worth it?
Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 05:13:24 AM
All very good points and well taken, thank you!
I guess the weight issue was silly, I was just trying to list all the cons I could think of.
Iíll probably go for the center stand then but Ö got to get the bike first!  :008:

Another question on this issue then. Where can I get the best price for this (MRSP is $274 +tax!)
And is it difficult to install ? (and how long does it take).

Alternatively, if you had it installed by the dealer what did they charge for labor for this?

Offline TallyRex

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 900 Root Beer, V1K
  • Town / City: Tallahassee
Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 09:59:32 AM
I ordered one from the dealer when I purchased my bike and they didn't charge for the install.  You should be able to bargain your way into a similar deal.

Offline Toro

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Yamaha MT-01/Z900RS
  • Town / City: Stuttgart
Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 10:11:55 AM
*Originally Posted by TallyRex [+]
I ordered one from the dealer when I purchased my bike and they didn't charge for the install.  You should be able to bargain your way into a similar deal.
I did the same (+handrail) - no xtra costs - best deal  :152:
best regards

Offline sklover

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 18 Candytone
  • Town / City: bothell
Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 06:23:12 PM
I ordered my center stand (& more) from the Kawi dealer when I purchased my bike.  They matched the lowest price (Partzilla - back then they sold oem parts, don't know anymore) I could find, about 40% less than suggested price if memory serves me.  I think you'll find dealers willing to work with you at the time of sale.  Re install, it was trivial, about 15 minutes except for the "getting the rubber donut inserted into the metal hole" part which took at least 45 minutes by itself and was a royal PITA.  You can save 44 minutes by going right to a vise.  :002:  Also the pulling the double spring over the spring connector pip wasn't easy for old decrepit me but no delay.

Vroom Vrooom

Offline Nobby

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900rs
  • Town / City: Haute Loire
Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 06:24:25 PM
*Originally Posted by Toro [+]
I did the same (+handrail) - no xtra costs - best deal  :152:

Same here, center stand and grab rail fitted free

Offline Ducati900SS

• Z900RS Member
Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 12:31:49 AM
First bike I've bought which didn't have a centrestand. Pennypinching and weight-saving by Kawasaki to meet the market. In 2019 Kawasaki Australia gave $500 cashback after purchase on RS's. Strangely, the dealer gave me a good price on the bike and didn't even mention the cashback. Radguard was part of the dealer deal, so the $500 went towards centre stand, ($295Aust) , fender extender, 16 tooth front sprocket, and small instrument screen. All worthwhile bits which should have been in the design of the bike originally.
In my case, the centre stand is vital for chain maintenance, cleaning, future wheel removal etc- the things we these days use other manner of stands for. My puny 70 year old 70 kg mass couldnt lift the rear end of the RS onto a paddock stand. The centre stand is easy - nearly as easy as my Ducati 900SS, which only has a centre stand and a lot easier than my Suzuki GS1100 G .It's shaft drive so I rarely use it, but am still glad to have it.
So go for it. The hardest part of the installation was getting the rubber bung through the hole in the bracket. You won't notice the weight, as others have said, and only a pretty aggressive or very heavy rider will be worried by grounding the longer hero knobs supplied. It is a bit more visible than on older cradle framed pre cat-converter bikes, but not really an issue. Quality of the genuine Kawasaki stand is up to that of the rest of the bike- very good. Biggest problem was lack of availability in Australia- had to wait about 6 weeks for the ship from Japan.

Online Zulu518

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2018 z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: San Diego
Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 02:13:20 AM
Center stand and grab rail from Kawasaki were my first mods.... when garaged, it is always up on the center stand.  Easy for checking tire pressure, changing oil, tensioning chain, etc.  Installation was straight forward, only tricky part was rigging something to pull the springs, i used a ratcheting cargo strap to stretch the springs and then slide into position, just be careful with whatever rig you set up, the springs are tight, make sure you're not on the receiving end of anything coming lose.  The grab rail was easy to install.. Only thing with the grab rail is that it may need to come off if I decide to put  panniers.  Good luck. :030:

Offline Jim K.

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: '19 Cafe
  • Town / City: New Haven
Reply #17 on: December 02, 2020, 03:50:21 AM
I've got to add that the engineers @ Kawi have done their homework on this one. This is far from the lightest bike I've ever heaved onto a stand, but its the easiest by a long way. They got the geometry just right & the bike almost leaps up by itself. As an aside, I've also got the Givi luggage rack which (in addition to being a sturdy rack)  provides the perfect hand hold for the roll up & back.
Start out slow, then ease up.

Offline LA-Z5

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Los Angeles
Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 05:47:32 AM
Thanks all.
I know I could have negotiated the center stand as part of a deal if I had purchased a bike locally but I only just pulled the trigger on a 2018 with 0 miles and chose to negotiate on the price rather than on accessories that the dealer would have had to order etc.
I consider myself lucky I was able to get one in my preferred color (candy red) - which I am told is much faster :)
I had to drive 200 miles to get it but now I am totally legit on this forum  :152:
Still have to figure out the best price for the center stand + passenger grab bar + reduced reach seat!

Offline Mudslinger

• Z900RS Member
Reply #19 on: December 02, 2020, 12:47:51 PM
candy red? Got a picture?