Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Gear shiftin from 5th to 6th clunky  (Read 17685 times)

Online Vester86

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: KTM DUKE 690R
  • Town / City: The Netherlands
Re: Gear shiftin from 5th to 6th clunky
« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2019, 10:30:33 AM »
yeah me to. the wifes KTM Duke 390 has it also. iím just ignoring it :)

Offline Maxacceleration

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: '19 Cafe RR
  • Town / City: Central Wa
« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2019, 06:08:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]
Just over 2,700 miles and almost ready for the Amsoil change and so far the gearbox works perfectly .  Lightest clutch pull Iíve ever had and clutchless shifts are just as smooth.  When I raced that Ferrari...in Mexico, I power shifted every gear around 9,500 revs with just a slight pull on the lever.  Perfect. :001:

Were you eating barbecued iguana??! In Mexico?
Old is new again

Offline Evangelos K

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2019, 09:21:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Vester86 [+]
yeah me to. the wifes KTM Duke 390 has it also. iím just ignoring it :)

To clarify, that was a response to me, about the ďcable snapĒ?
2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Online Vester86

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: KTM DUKE 690R
  • Town / City: The Netherlands
« Reply #173 on: June 06, 2019, 07:41:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by Evangelos K [+]
To clarify, that was a response to me, about the ďcable snapĒ?
yes

Offline hansvdc

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Oudenaarde
« Reply #174 on: June 10, 2019, 08:26:54 PM »
Got 1000km on the z900rs today, shitfing still bothers me so gonna have it serviced asap. Neutral to first is the normal clack, but shifting up still is way too hard for my liking. First to second is harder and more clacky than neutral to first. Tried different techniques, always same. Second to third and third to fourth etc sometimes goes a little better, especially when I put some pressure on the shifter before shifting. But even then it sometimes clacks. 5th to 6th is always pretty loud, but that is normal from what Ive read.

Anyway, really hope this is due to the run-in oil and will improve. Could this happen when the clutch isnít engaged well enough? I always pull my clutch all the way to the handle, but maybe the movement itself is nit enough so a cable needs to be tightened? Got no experience at all with this. I checked the clutch free movement and it is about 3mm as required in the manual.

It is such a great bike, too bad the shifting feels so bad on mine. It is constant clack clunk clack when shifting up. Downshifting also makes a noice but it is less loud.

Offline Evangelos K

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2019, 01:08:24 PM »
I donít know what kind of oil is in the stock bike new (I believe the break in oil is a myth) but doing the 600mi oil change was a VAST improvement. Vast is an understatement. I did not have loud clungs, but like I posted above; the inconsistency of the shifts, and that clutch cable snap feeling were the worse closer to reaching the 600mi.

I always notice improvements with fresh oil on all my bikes, which makes sense with all the beating the oil gets by the engine, trans and clutch, but man... this is by far the most I have noticed.  I used a proprietary ďmix and matchĒ blend  :008: since Iím not throwing away good oil.  2 qt Castrol semi-synth, 1 qt Castrol full-synth, 1 qt Motul 7100 full-synth, all 10-40. No issues, and the cable snap was only felt once, minor, on aggressive double down-shift from 4 to 2nd.
2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Offline hansvdc

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Oudenaarde
« Reply #176 on: June 11, 2019, 01:10:34 PM »
Well, I'll see. Got an appointment to get is serviced next friday. So will know shortly. Going to ask specifically that they double check the gear shifting of course.