Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Standard suspension Vs after market.  (Read 1186 times)

Offline iannicholasriley

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS cafe 2020
  • Town / City: Calpe
Standard suspension Vs after market.
on: October 22, 2020, 06:55:42 PM
Having just picked up my new 2020 cafe version I have set up the susspension that seems right for me, was much too soft from the dealer.
I class myself as rider that likes to push on a bit, lots of mountain roads near me. some of those roads have great surfaces some not so good. I find on the not so good which are mainly bumpy the bike starts to fill a bit stiff on the front end like does not want to absorb the bump and you really feel it through the bars. Its so good on the other roads i think its just a fact to live with or is my set up wrong. This brings me on to the benefit of an after market shock for the rear or re valve in the front,  could i have your views on this mine is that unless you are doing lots of track work the standard set up is good enough would like to hear from you.

Online Toro

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Yamaha MT-01/Z900RS
  • Town / City: Stuttgart
Re: Standard suspension Vs after market.
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 01:13:07 PM
The standard suspension is ok for moderate speed, but for a more ambitious rider it's better to change things.
I had the 'Kawasaki street box' from Hyperpro mounted. The performance is much better, perfect for me  :152:
best regards

Offline Notsoaverageguy

• Forum Supporter
    and Approved Vendor
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Cafe 900
  • Town / City: Sandiego
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 03:08:01 PM
A LOT depends on your weight. How much do you weigh? A non aggressive rider can get away without a re-spring (unless we are talking about 100lbs)  and be happy with how it feels. But (as noted) if you are an aggressive rider and donít weigh 160-180 yor never going to make it feel good for you on the bumpy stuff. ANY bike even a hard tail Harley can feel good on a smooth road. But when we encounter the bumps while carrying a lot of speed we overwhelm the springs and ask more of the suspension then it was designed for. The bike is more than capable of very fast riding in a canyon over street bumps, but was not sent out of the factory as its mission. Thatís why people buy the ZX series. This bike was designed to look the part of its retro heritage, which it excels in spades. But I assure it can be fine tuned to please the most demanding and aggressive ride out there. My suggestion to you is to first get the correct spring rate going for your weight  set the proper sag front and rear and then if you canít adjust for the ride your looking for I can help. But the first thing I will tell you to do BEFORE you spend money with me is to get the right springs. That is NEVER a waste of money. Hope this helps.
Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 03:10:02 PM by Notsoaverageguy
Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler!
(Albert Einstein)

Offline mfairplay

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Cape Cod, Mass.
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 04:15:38 PM
I learned quite a bit just reading the suspension threads about the settings people have tried and went from there.  Start by making sure your sag is in range for your riding weight. Several threads here will walk you through it if it's new to you.

Offline iannicholasriley

• Z900RS Member
Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 07:06:20 PM
*Originally Posted by mfairplay [+]
I learned quite a bit just reading the suspension threads about the settings people have tried and went from there.  Start by making sure your sag is in range for your riding weight. Several threads here will walk you through it if it's new to you.
Hi thanks for the tip i have set the sag front and rear just playing about with the settings, i am close to a setting that works

Offline iannicholasriley

• Z900RS Member
Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 07:18:03 PM
*Originally Posted by Notsoaverageguy [+]
A LOT depends on your weight. How much do you weigh? A non aggressive rider can get away without a re-spring (unless we are talking about 100lbs)  and be happy with how it feels. But (as noted) if you are an aggressive rider and donít weigh 160-180 yor never going to make it feel good for you on the bumpy stuff. ANY bike even a hard tail Harley can feel good on a smooth road. But when we encounter the bumps while carrying a lot of speed we overwhelm the springs and ask more of the suspension then it was designed for. The bike is more than capable of very fast riding in a canyon over street bumps, but was not sent out of the factory as its mission. Thatís why people buy the ZX series. This bike was designed to look the part of its retro heritage, which it excels in spades. But I assure it can be fine tuned to please the most demanding and aggressive ride out there. My suggestion to you is to first get the correct spring rate going for your weight  set the proper sag front and rear and then if you canít adjust for the ride your looking for I can help. But the first thing I will tell you to do BEFORE you spend money with me is to get the right springs. That is NEVER a waste of money. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your comments, I weigh around 90KGs and ride pretty aggressively as i used to do quite a lot of racing. My feel for the bike is more that the front needs work rather than the rear shock. I find its able to work well however when i hit a reasonable size bump in the road i feel like it could be snatched out of my hands. At first i thought that i had gone to hard on the compression, so i softened it up which made it feel spongy under braking. I have set the sag I weigh 90KGs and have the pre load 6 turns out from the hardest setting and 4 clicks from hardest on the rebound. Compression is 3 clicks out from the hardest. I do not feel at the moment the rear shock is failing maybe i would on the track, what do you suggest for the front is it a re valve or new internals. I have heard of people having them sent to K Tech. What i am feeling with the front end is it normal or are my settings a lot different than others.

Offline Nigellufc

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 18 z900rs candybrown
  • Town / City: Leeds
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 10:03:13 PM
I get the same as you mate, im 100 kg myself and been tinkering with front for a while, either too harsh or too soft, tho think am somewhere near now, prob me overthinking, still love the bike tho, Prob expecting too much from  my adjustments  to deal with some of our crappier bumpridden roads
ride fast when its safe,steady when it aint

Offline TexasJock

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Dallas, TX
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 03:25:17 AM
I think you have too much compression damping. I am only a couple of clicks in from fully open. Rebound 3 clicks out from fully closed. This works for me. I may add a couple clicks on compression when on the track.

Offline iannicholasriley

• Z900RS Member
Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 07:02:44 PM
*Originally Posted by TexasJock [+]
I think you have too much compression damping. I am only a couple of clicks in from fully open. Rebound 3 clicks out from fully closed. This works for me. I may add a couple clicks on compression when on the track.
Hi thanks for the comments, when you say open i assume you mean from soft I will try softening the compression a little and try a little more pre load. May take me a while as i have busted my shoulder today. The Ohlins front street cartridges look a great option as does the rear shock, have you heard of anyone using those front end cartridges.
Ian.

Offline Phil

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: z900RS / Z125 Pro
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 10:44:24 PM
Having come from a very well setup ZRX1200R with Ohlins front and rear, and all my bikes for the last 20 odd years having had at least an Ohlins rear shock, I struggled with the lack of feel and undersprung nature of the OE shock setup, to be fair they cant make it to suit everyone.

Having installed a K-Tech Razor R rear shock and SSK fork piston kit I am now VERY happy with how the bike feels, and everyone that rides it comments on how planted and stable it is. I too like to use "all of the bikes abilities" :745: as most of the guys I ride with are on much "faster" bikes than my Z900RS, I have no trouble keeping up with them in the twisties now :046:

The Razor R shock has 4 way adjustment too, Preload, Comp, Rebound and Length :028:

Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 11:08:44 PM by Phil
Phil
18 Z900RS Jaffa
17 Z125 Pro KRT

ZRXOA 8225 (Once a ZRX owner, always a ZRX owner)