Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Rear sag 65mm  (Read 381 times)

Offline Nigellufc

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 18 z900rs candybrown
  • Town / City: Leeds
Rear sag 65mm
on: October 11, 2020, 05:58:26 PM
As said rear sag 65 mm, guessing i screw adjusting ring downwards to lessen it, how much adjust ment is there on standard shock, looks a lot of thread on it, thanks  in advance.
ride fast when its safe,steady when it aint

Online BASS 666

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2020 z900rs
  • Town / City: Belfast
Re: Rear sag 65mm
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 09:48:43 PM
*Originally Posted by Nigellufc [+]
As said rear sag 65 mm, guessing i screw adjusting ring downwards to lessen it, how much adjust ment is there on standard shock, looks a lot of thread on it, thanks  in advance.

apparently the rear shock is rated for someone who is 75 kgs and if you tighten the spring any more than the spring being 190mm then it doesn't work so good ....
i am 90 kgs and have my spring set at 190mm but i am buying a new spring for my weight in the winter ....

Online m_mcdonnell

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: '18 Candytone RS
  • Town / City: South Carolina
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 10:21:02 PM
There are lots of threads on the shock, but you can only use 10mm of them before the spring is at it’s “minimum” length per the shop manual.

Factory setting is ~200mm long, minimum is 190mm long (unloaded).

Offline Nigellufc

• Z900RS Member
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 12:54:23 PM
*Originally Posted by m_mcdonnell [+]
There are lots of threads on the shock, but you can only use 10mm of them before the spring is at it’s “minimum” length per the shop manual.

Factory setting is ~200mm long, minimum is 190mm long (unloaded).
cheers for that, can you buy a stronger spring and fit it yourself on same shock, am 100 kilo

Offline Nigellufc

• Z900RS Member
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 12:56:17 PM
*Originally Posted by BASS 666 [+]
apparently the rear shock is rated for someone who is 75 kgs and if you tighten the spring any more than the spring being 190mm then it doesn't work so good ....
i am 90 kgs and have my spring set at 190mm but i am buying a new spring for my weight in the winter ...
Thanks, am 100 kgs so probs get a new one myself, any idea were from?
Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 12:57:56 PM by Nigellufc

Online m_mcdonnell

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: '18 Candytone RS
  • Town / City: South Carolina
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 06:06:18 PM
*Originally Posted by Nigellufc [+]
cheers for that, can you buy a stronger spring and fit it yourself on same shock, am 100 kilo

I think some people have done that (maybe with HyperPro springs).
The problem is the valving in the shock is marginal even with the stock spring, probably going to be worse with a spring rate it wasn't designed for...

I'd personally (and this is my plan) just adjust the spring to the max (190mm) setting, live with it for a while, and save up for a Nitron R1 or K-tech.
The aftermarket shock will be much better, valved and sprung exactly for your weight (at least the Nitron - not sure how K-tech specifies spring rates).
I think even if you put a stiffer spring on now, you'd eventually want to upgrade further and you'd then be $100+ further behind.

Online silverjoe

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: Alberta
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 05:12:10 PM
I think for average solo street riding the spring is good for up to 195 lbs but you need to set the sag, as posted here no shorter than 190 mm.  For aggressive street or track 150 to 160 lbs ( look up Dave Moss suspension expert)
I weigh 200 with gear and  adjusting the sag on both ends made a big difference, I know a better quality shock would better yet but try the proper sag settngs first.
I don't think Kawasaki  planned on the average RS rider to be 150 lbs, if your talking north america that would be way low.