Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Removing the cat box - bad idea?  (Read 7248 times)

Offline kernowjim

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Torpoint
Re: Removing the cat box - bad idea?
Reply #20 on: October 02, 2020, 11:01:28 AM
*Originally Posted by BASS 666 [+]
you obviously didn't read my post .. i said look at this guys VIDEOS and see how it runs .. he has the bike on the dyno and shows how its fueling so you can see for yourself you are wrong ....

Then post a link to the ACTUAL video?

Offline Notsoaverageguy

• Forum Supporter
    and Approved Vendor
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Cafe 900
  • Town / City: Sandiego
Reply #21 on: October 02, 2020, 04:16:00 PM
*Originally Posted by kernowjim [+]
"BTW I did re-flash my ECU after many miles with a WB o2 sensor and smoothed out the highs and lows, and did not feel a bit of drivability difference then either"

Forgive me if I'm missing something here but how can you state in one sentence that the flash 'smoothed out' the highs and lows but couldn't feel the difference, so on what basis can you state the benefit of the flash?  If it was running correctly why go the expense of the flash at all?

By hi’s and low’s I mean on the fuel map table in the Woolrich software (that I bought and can flash ECU’s as part of my business) . I used my Zeigtronics tuning hardware to shoot for “best AFR” . It didn’t cost me anymore to do. The AFR was real close to begin with but why not make it perfect? Especially when I already had the means. Flashing off the fuel cut off, turning off the EGO , lowering the cooling fan temp and turning off the EVAP system really makes the RS a real sweet bike.  I bought all the software thousands of miles AFTER the de-cat. So I am talking from experience. If you de-cat it’s not going to run in any negative way to stock. Watching that guys video is not relevant since we started out this thread by talking about using the stock muffler. If Kawasaki tuned this bike with a specific “back pressure” tune they would have used an exhaust butterfly valve to control it like on the Zx series bikes. But they didn’t. So their back pressure tune is NOT critical. The tuning I do is by the seat of the pants, and not a Dyno. Dyno’s have there place when you are chasing after the last bit of HP or you want bragging rights. Honestly on the RS I think most of just care about the ride and not the bragging rights to a graph that has a line higher than anyone else’s. That’s why I sell an ECU flash that quite honestly is all you need to make the RS one sweet ride for 250$.
There is a intake volume that controlled by the secondary butterflies, that is tuned in to match the cam. You definitely can change the feel and drivability if you change that. I do NOT change that in my flash. Maybe later I will play with it (cause I can) but I like the RS throttle response just the way it was designed. If you turn THAT off you will definitely feel a drivability issue then.
Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 04:21:09 PM by Notsoaverageguy
Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler!
(Albert Einstein)

Online BASS 666

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2020 z900rs
  • Town / City: Belfast
Reply #22 on: October 02, 2020, 05:18:47 PM
Then post a link to the ACTUAL video?

Offline kernowjim

• Z900RS Pro
Reply #23 on: October 02, 2020, 07:56:04 PM

I'll admit I'm really surprised and I stand corrected - I've honestly never seen a euro 4 bike follow the stock curve once the exhaust has been altered in any way.  Good to know.

Online BASS 666

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2020 z900rs
  • Town / City: Belfast
Reply #24 on: October 02, 2020, 08:03:44 PM
I'll admit I'm really surprised and I stand corrected - I've honestly never seen a euro 4 bike follow the stock curve once the exhaust has been altered in any way.  Good to know.

i was surprised myself .. i have a set of headers here and i didn't want to put them on until i got a flash but now i know i can use them when i want ....

Offline Evangelos K

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
Reply #25 on: October 02, 2020, 08:36:33 PM

Now, that's a garage!
2018 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx
2017 Honda CBR1000RR ABS
2013 Triumph Street Triple R (sold, July 20’’ :(]

Offline kernowjim

• Z900RS Pro
Reply #26 on: October 02, 2020, 09:01:21 PM
i was surprised myself .. i have a set of headers here and i didn't want to put them on until i got a flash but now i know i can use them when i want ....

Still too loud for me though and I like the chrome shiny bits of the stock exhaust, even though they're a pain to look after

Offline bansheebeat

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Bangkok
Reply #27 on: October 27, 2020, 03:04:14 AM
Yesterday I had a local exhaust shop saw off the cat & box and make a new midpipe. I'm so far really happy with the result - the pipe is beautiful (I wish I would have got a picture before they put the heat shields back on). The sound is good - louder than I anticipated but not obnoxiously so (quieter than my Ninja 650 with a Delkevic system). I plan on taking it for a flash this weekend.

Can't really tell a difference from this angle, but I think the bike looks MUCH better without the big box sticking out the bottom.

Offline Nigellufc

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 18 z900rs candybrown
  • Town / City: Leeds
Reply #28 on: October 27, 2020, 08:10:50 PM
Nice
ride fast when its safe,steady when it aint

Offline Gowerclub

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2019 cafe