Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Z900RS or Triumph Speed Twin  (Read 4575 times)

Online MexicoMike

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
Re: Z900RS or Triumph Speed Twin
Reply #30 on: September 29, 2020, 09:34:39 AM
As far as fairings - they can be quite the rabbit-hole!  I bought a BMW R1200RS in '17.  It's a nice bike, with all the modern bells/whistles but the buffeting at helmet level would have my eyes vibrating in an hour at speeds above 70MPH.  I have (so far) purchased 3 different screens for the bike.  None of them have eliminated the problem though one is better than the others.  BUT...do you know what eliminated the buffeting?  Yep, a test ride with NO screen mounted.  NOTE: I'm talking about helmet buffeting, NOT wind pressure against the body.

My RS Cafe has has no helmet buffeting with the same helmet.  Neither does my R9T with Wunderlich "Daytona" fairing (pretty much the same size as the Cafe's fairing/screen), nor does my '73 Norton   Commando  .IOW, although the R1200RS is, in theory, the easiest, most comfortable bike to ride, it is the least comfortable for me to ride at high speeds due to the buffeting.

I have found that in evaluating fairings/screens, people can be the same height and have totally different results from the same screen on the same bike.  The primary reason is that the height itself is affected by the ratio of trunk to leg-length.  A 6 footer with long legs, short trunk may have a totally different "wind/buffeting experience" than a 6 footer with short legs/long trunk.  Of course, individual tolerance for buffeting probably varies as well.  My eyes start vibrating after about an hour at 80mph on the R1200RS; it doesn't happen at all on the other bikes though there is a lot more wind pressure to deal with.
MexicoMike
1973 Norton Commando, BMW R9T (Mexico)
2017 BMW R1200RS (Texas, USA)
2019 Z900RS Cafe (UK)

Online Oop North John

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: NE Scotland
Reply #31 on: September 29, 2020, 09:42:48 AM
I've found that the Givi Airflow, if available for your bike MexicoMike, worked when nothing else did, apart from removing the screen. Not the prettiest screen, but very adjustable.

Online Nutkwaka

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS + 1400GTR
  • Town / City: Maitland NSW
Reply #32 on: September 29, 2020, 11:06:09 AM
Maybe have a look at Laminar Lip. I put one on my GTR, solved all buffeting issues.
Glen
2018 Z900RS
2012 1400GTR (Concours)
FarRider #772
IBA #60302      Ulysses #63003

Online Hillie

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
Reply #33 on: September 29, 2020, 04:11:41 PM
I had a look at the speed twin as well when it just came out here. Looked nice, ergonomics felt good in the showroom, but the price difference was far too significant to ignore for me.

I would mind a speed triple at some point though. :)

Offline kernowjim

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Torpoint
Reply #34 on: September 29, 2020, 08:24:16 PM
The Speed Twin is a girl's shopping bike.

Furthermore, Triumph are VERY close to going out of business, so I wouldn't waste your money on them.

Offline Evangelos K

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
Reply #35 on: September 29, 2020, 08:33:05 PM
*Originally Posted by kernowjim [+]
The Speed Twin is a girl's shopping bike.

Furthermore, Triumph are VERY close to going out of business, so I wouldn't waste your money on them.

Your first comment is an indication about the validity of your second one.
2018 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx
2017 Honda CBR1000RR ABS
2013 Triumph Street Triple R (sold, July 20 :(]

Offline kernowjim

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Torpoint
Reply #36 on: September 29, 2020, 11:38:56 PM
*Originally Posted by Evangelos K [+]
Your first comment is an indication about the validity of your second one.

Totally credible?  Yes I couldn't agree more.

Offline Jayzonk

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: London
Reply #37 on: September 30, 2020, 04:11:17 AM
Well...if the triumph sped twin is a shopping bike, it certainly doesn't have much storage....no panniers offered for it by Triumph,  just a tank bag,  so it doesn't seem to me to be much of a shopping bike,  or a girl's bike, for that matter. 
Secondly, I don't see any indications that Triumph is going outbof business at all.  They've had good bikes sales, and continual product development over the last few years, so i don't really see the signs of a distressed company.  Even if they were, I suspect they would get a bailout by the UK government, because of the iconic nature of the British brand.  Either that or they would be a seriously hot commodity for a buyout by the parent company that owns the KTM and Husqvarna brands, or even one of the European car companies.  I really think Triumph is here to stay.   

Offline Jayzonk

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: London
Reply #38 on: September 30, 2020, 04:30:35 AM
So i test rode the triumph Speed Twin today,  as well as an Africa Twin.  I rode my CBR1000 80 miles to the first dealer, then 25 miles to the next, then 80 miles home.  So here's what I've found out:
1) there's no chance in hell that I will ride my CBR that far again in a short time span.  Sore knees, wrists, hips, and numb numb hands (especially the throttle hand). 
2) Speed Twin.    The bike feels manageable, right from the minute i swung my leg over it.   It's a right-sized motorcycle that you can easily maneuver,  avoid potential accidents,  and handle curves easily. It moves easily from side to side, and leans into turns fairly well, but not as well as my CBR, of course, but the triumph will have a longer rake, im sure.   I also noticed on right hand turns from a dead stop, the triumph carves a longer radius than my sportbike....it's just something that's different, not necessarily good or bad.  It's likely that way because of the longer rake, but also because there isn't so much rider weight over the front wheel, creating pressure on the tire, which helps the bike turn.  It had a very comfortable seat, and it is long enough to allow me to readjust my position when required.   It has a good seat to peg distance too, for a standard bike.  Overall, it felt comfortable. 
The engine sound is smoother than a v Twin,  but raspier than an online four.  I felt the power was adequate, but nothing mind blowing, which doesn't bother me.  Letting the clutch out of first gear felt long, given that I am used to riding the supersport.  Engine braking is also much stronger than what I'm used to.  The handlebars are narrower, and I found my pinky finger hanging over the outside edge of the clutch lever.  Also not a big deal. 
All in all, a great little package. And I'm eager to compare it to the Z900RS and the Tracer 900. 

Online Hillie

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
Reply #39 on: September 30, 2020, 04:36:50 AM
If levers are the biggest thing, they can be changed and don't cost too much.