Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Upgrade z900rs cafe to fix it or swap to another motorcycle?  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Entropy

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Member
  • Bike: SV650AL7 2020 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Cleethorpes
Re: Upgrade z900rs cafe to fix it or swap to another motorcycle?
Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 10:14:39 AM
I can empathasize.  I bought a new Yamaha MT09SP because 1) it had uprated suspension components which offered me the possibility of a comfortable ride 2) it was lightweight. I wasn't keen on the looks but the comfort option was appealing.

What I got was a bike that seemed to have rigid suspension with no compliance whatsoever.  It had a terrible off-idle throttle response which would feel initially like a (carburettor) flat spot and then with a slight increase in throttle would chime in like a two stroke hitting its powerband which made for exciting times at road junctions.  A gearbox that worked well if you were in a hurry but was balky at other times.  It was a reincarnation of an H1 Kawasaki.

I didn't get a road test because the "SP" was special ordered and I didn't think that riding the standard MT09 would tell me anything about the suspension.  I investigated sorting the bike's suspension and was told that Yamaha's marketing vastly outperformed the suspension's capability.  I realised by this point I'd bought the wrong bike, it was too unrefined, too uncomfortable and I'd never be content with it.  I suspect that this is your position now.

Online Nutkwaka

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS + 1400GTR
  • Town / City: Maitland NSW
Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 12:07:35 PM
I would say that your problem with the seating position may not be so easily fixed, due to your height. I'm 5' 10", and I can and do ride this bike all day and half the night, no problems. I've done several 1000+km days on this bike, and done them easily. Maybe a KTM 1290 Super Adventure would suit you better.
Glen
2018 Z900RS
2012 1400GTR (Concours)
FarRider #772
IBA #60302      Ulysses #63003

Offline Safrican

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: It's the Green One.
  • Town / City: Great Brak River
Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 12:27:15 PM
I would try a quick 30 minute fix and see what the difference might do; turn the handle bar raisers 180 degrees, that will bring the handlebars back a little. Your back and neck might feel fine at first ... or they are just conveying the problem to where you then do feel it.

I believe it's worth the test and hope it helps.

:028:
Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 12:29:35 PM by Safrican
Another great forum, thanks. I have a YT page with Namibia adventure rides on a Ď16 AT. Ian Levy

Offline Pekki

• Z900RS Junior Member
Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 05:27:47 PM
Thanks for the tip, I will try it out!

Thanks also for all suggestions, I think the wind problem is then specific for my measurements , as I do not have a problem with the upper torso that much but for legs being pushed out, and in longer motorway stints.

And yes, I am worried that I will need to "fix"/change something with a more expensive bike also, or get bored as it will not have enough character or is totally quiet (thanks EURO5  :013:).   

*Originally Posted by Safrican [+]
I would try a quick 30 minute fix and see what the difference might do; turn the handle bar raisers 180 degrees, that will bring the handlebars back a little. Your back and neck might feel fine at first ... or they are just conveying the problem to where you then do feel it.

I believe it's worth the test and hope it helps.

:028:

Offline silverjoe

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: Alberta
Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 07:39:06 AM
 I wear riding pant and don't have a problem with wind wanting to blow my legs out. It kinda sounds like you want or need a full fairing bike. I have a standard RS and run a plexi Fairing 2 in cooler weather with realy good upper body protection . My body likes to have a little walk around about every hour or less. It took me a  while for my butt to not want to ge off the bike every 70 K or so
Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 07:40:39 AM by silverjoe

Online MexicoMike

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 08:19:24 AM
 I suggest that if you are as unhappy with the bike as your post indicates, there is no "fixing" it and I can't see any reason to try to do so.  As has been noted, it's all totally individual - My RS Cafe is the first bike I have ever owned that needs nothing - no changes of any kind.  It is totally stock and there is nothing I don't like about it - UNLIKE the other motos I currently own, all of which have needed mods to suit my riding  - Ohlins suspensions, exhaust mods, fueling mods, brake mods, etc.

But having made lots of mods over the years, the items you are describing are, IMO, too extensive to fix with modifications - at least at a cost effective level.  A "better" bike choice would be the easiest and, in the long run, cheapest option.  Remember that at resale, all those mods you installed drop the value of the bike - the more mods and the more extensive they are, the less the bike is worth in a sale or trade.

SO my advice is to just check it off to experience and begin  a new hunt for the "right" motorcycle! :305:

MexicoMike
1973 Norton Commando, BMW R9T (Mexico)
2017 BMW R1200RS (Texas, USA)
2019 Z900RS Cafe (UK)

Offline Larry

• Z900RS Pro
Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 04:47:56 PM
 "My RS Cafe is the first bike I have ever owned that needs nothing - no changes of any kind."

Agreed. I have the standard, only changes are 16 tooth and Tail Tidy. Kawasaki did a damn good job making the perfected UJM.

Offline shmoengrin

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 01goldwing,85madura
  • Town / City: Medicine Hat
Reply #17 on: September 29, 2020, 04:12:27 AM
*Originally Posted by Pekki [+]
Hi,

So I have a dilemma.

I love my 900, but there is no way I would ride 350 miles on it in one shot. I bought it as an urban assault vehicle. I absolutely love it for 90 minutes, after that, itís time for a beer. While some have called it a touring beast..... not a chance, thatís not what this bike is for
My other ride is an 1800 Goldwing. I can ride all day on it and not be fatigued after my ride. As far as riding in town, it can be done, but itís not even close to the 900 for fun. Again, I need to stop for a beer if riding it in town
Buy a bike for what YOU need it for
Just my $.02
Mat
Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:13:52 AM by shmoengrin

Offline MilliniumFalcon

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: San Diego
Reply #18 on: September 29, 2020, 05:29:24 AM
I can understand where the OP is coming from.  If I had to ride regularly at SoCal freeway speeds I would have the exact same complaints about the RS.  Heck I don't even like riding mine on the freeway for 10 miles!  But that being said, I'm 6'3 and have a blown out lower back, some bikes I can't ride for more than 20 minutes at any speed...but for some reason I can punch out reeeally long 12+ hour 450mile (as I just stated in another thread) days on the RS with only my butt getting a little annoyed.  The difference is that those days are all at twisty canyon road speeds.  I found a sweet deal on a used standard seat too, I find it to be way more comfortable than the cafe seat...

-It sounds to me like the OP is interested in riding at freeway speeds for long distances, in which case I would agree with Notsoaverage guy and say the RS is just NOT the ideal bike, as wind protection can't really be "fixed" at any appreciable level. 

-I'd also recommend the OP search for rental bikes on twisted roads or riders-share to see if other makes and models are a better fit.  I've crossed off a couple bikes I would otherwise have bought by renting them for 24 hours first...that's my new move instead of having to buy the damn things only to find out such and such is a deal breaker!
Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 05:46:07 AM by MilliniumFalcon