Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Big Piston Forks  (Read 1396 times)

Offline MIZ900rsowner

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Grand Rapids
Re: Big Piston Forks
Reply #20 on: December 09, 2020, 08:45:24 PM
Hello!

I joined to basically ask Mr. Notsoaveraguy a question regarding the stock OEM cartridges. What tool did you use to remove the cartridges? I ordered a set of Ohlins NIX30s cartridges a while ago and decided this winter to get them swapped out. I was just wondering if you used a racetech or motionpro tool to hold the cartridge.
I see that Motionpro has a 08-0117 tool that fits 41,43,46 &47 mm KYB forks; and racetech has TFCH-03 which works with KYB 46& 48mm open chamber forks.  I was wondered if these tools might work for our bikes. I didn't want to purchase the Kawasaki tool to save some money as I'll only need it twice and then from there on out be using the Ohlins tool. This bike is tracked and I know I'll have to crack into the suspension after each season to change out the fork oil.

Offline Notsoaverageguy

• Forum Supporter
    and Approved Vendor
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Cafe 900
  • Town / City: Sandiego
Re: Big Piston Forks
Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 11:16:55 PM
Normally you do not need a tool to hold the cartridge. A quick blast on the impact gun will loosen and spin the bolt (up through the bottom bracket) off. Same goes for tightening it. My guess you dont need to buy the cartridge holding tool. That tool is mostly used to disassemble the cartridge. I couldnt really tell you which one I would use because I made all my own suspension tools  :034: sorry.
Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler!
(Albert Einstein)