Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: chain maintenance  (Read 878 times)

Offline matt

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Ohio
chain maintenance
on: August 07, 2020, 08:07:03 PM
Hello everyone, I've owned several bikes before the Z and all were shaft driven so chain maintenance is new to me.  I've recently set the chain slack according to the parameters given in the service manual.  My concern is that I did not make adjustments to each side evenly.  I attempted to start with each side equal given the markings on the bike and make the same number of turns on each side.  What I did notice when lining up each side in the beginning was that I could have been off a turn even though they still looked equal.  Anyone got a surefire way to ensure they're lined up properly.  Thanks.

Online Oop North John

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: NE Scotland
Re: chain maintenance
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 08:37:12 PM
I use one of these: https://www.profi-products.de/en/profi-cat-laser/

Easy to use and I think accurate.

Offline m_mcdonnell

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: '18 Candytone RS
  • Town / City: South Carolina
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 08:43:05 PM
Here's a cheap but effective tool.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0048

Clamp it to the sprocket, look at it from the back, and if the rod is lined up  (parallel) with the chain then everything is good to go.

Offline matt

• Z900RS Member
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 12:20:49 AM
Thank you guys.  Got me some tools on the way.  :047:

Offline Michael_A

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Odessa
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 12:34:04 AM
What I have done for years is use two 8 foot florescent light tubes. Lash them to the bottom of the rear wheel (bungees before and after the wheel so they are snug against it) with the bike vertical using bungee cords, and prop the front of the tubes up with a 2x4 just forward of the front wheel. Have lots of burnt out tubes in the shop I save just for this. Becomes apparent very quickly if the bike is not tracking correctly. BTW, in reviewing the Kawasaki shop manual I do have to take some exception to their guidance on chain tension. I think it calls for between .5 and 1.5 inches; I would aim for the 1.5 inches minimum (I'm recalling this from memory as I don't have my manual in front of me at the moment. Point being, aim for the higher end of the spec.). The bottom end of the spec seems (to me, anyway) uncomfortably tight. Planning on doing a vid just on this topic soon, and am hitting up some local shops to donate some really badly worn sprockets and chains so that can be shown visually so people know what to look for. Anyway, personally, I advocate for running the chain on the looser side of the spec FWIW. Oh, and the calibration lines on the swing-arm are never, ever, equal or correct on anything I have ever worked on and trying to eyeball tracking is futile.

Offline matt

• Z900RS Member
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 01:14:36 AM
Michael, I'd sure like to see that setup! Sounds like a weird science experiment but very interesting and look forward to your video.

Online Nutkwaka

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS + 1400GTR
  • Town / City: Maitland NSW
Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 02:02:10 AM
I just use a pair of inside calipers, and measure the gap between the end of the swingarm and the adjuster block, so the gap is the same on both sides. And yes, the adjustment marks on the swingarm are minimally different, ie, not aligned.
Glen
2018 Z900RS
2012 1400GTR (Concours)
FarRider #772
IBA #60302      Ulysses #63003

Offline Dirty Dave

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2018 Jaffa
  • Town / City: Montreal
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 01:51:46 PM
Motion Pro also makes an inexpensive chain slacksetter measurement tool which I like.

18 Z900RS Jaffa
97 Honda Valkyrie
79 Honda GoldWing

Offline Michael_A

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Odessa
Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 03:41:55 PM

Offline Jared030858

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Swannanoa
Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 03:45:06 PM
Measure the length of the adjusting bolt thats exposed. If the same amount of bolt is exposed or within a mm or two youre fine.