Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !



Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Whatever you do with this bike, ditch those OE Dunlops at the first opportunity  (Read 2085 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline kernowjim

  • Z900RS Member
  • **
  • Posts: 83
  • Bike: 2020 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Torpoint
  • Country: gb
The factory fitted Dunlop (Sumitomo) GPR300's are the worst tyres fitted to a bike that I've ever had.  Don't even bother trying to adjust the suspension whilst these tyres are fitted.  I swapped mine out after 500 miles for relatively inexpensive sport touring tyres (Bridgestone BT-023's) and even in the early stages of scrubbing in the new tyres, the difference is like night and day.  I cannot understand why Kawasaki have fitted such crap tyres to a new bike for the sake of saving a few Yen.

Get rid ASAP!

Offline Travelman

  • Z900RS Member
  • **
  • Posts: 96
  • Bike: Z900RS / FJR1300
  • Town / City: South Shields
  • Country: gb
Must just be me but I like the Dunlops. I致e been meaning to change them for a while purely because of wear but I知 tight and keep putting off, though probably not for much longer as I知 nudging 8k miles. Did over a thousand wet miles in Scotland last week and I found them to be still reasonably precise and secure. However, I値l soon find out when I change, probably to Pirelli チngels.

Offline kernowjim

  • Z900RS Member
  • **
  • Posts: 83
  • Bike: 2020 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Torpoint
  • Country: gb
*Originally Posted by Travelman [+]
Must just be me but I like the Dunlops. I致e been meaning to change them for a while purely because of wear but I知 tight and keep putting off, though probably not for much longer as I知 nudging 8k miles. Did over a thousand wet miles in Scotland last week and I found them to be still reasonably precise and secure. However, I値l soon find out when I change, probably to Pirelli チngels.

I honestly think you'll be surprised at how good this bike can be on decent tyres

Offline kernowjim

  • Z900RS Member
  • **
  • Posts: 83
  • Bike: 2020 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Torpoint
  • Country: gb
*Originally Posted by kernowjim [+]
I honestly think you'll be surprised at how good this bike can be on decent tyres

If you want my OE Dunlops, I can sell them to you!

Online Oop North John

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • *
  • Posts: 395
  • Town / City: NE Scotland
  • Country: gb
*Originally Posted by Travelman [+]
Must just be me but I like the Dunlops. I致e been meaning to change them for a while purely because of wear but I知 tight and keep putting off, though probably not for much longer as I知 nudging 8k miles. Did over a thousand wet miles in Scotland last week and I found them to be still reasonably precise and secure. However, I値l soon find out when I change, probably to Pirelli チngels.

As OEM tyres go they're way better than ones I had on a SV650 and Tracer 700, they got changed after a few miles. All those miles, and all the over two thousand miles on the Z900RS were in Scotland. Maybe the Dunlops suit the roads north of Hadrians Wall? Saying that I'll probably go for Michelin Road 5's when they get more worn, and they've only got just over 3mm left.

Online TallyRex

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • *
  • Posts: 916
  • Bike: 900 Root Beer, V1K
  • Town / City: Tallahassee
  • Country: us
I never had any problem with the OEM tires.  Switched to Mich road 5s at about 4500 miles

Offline kernowjim

  • Z900RS Member
  • **
  • Posts: 83
  • Bike: 2020 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Torpoint
  • Country: gb
*Originally Posted by Oop North John [+]
As OEM tyres go they're way better than ones I had on a SV650 and Tracer 700, they got changed after a few miles. All those miles, and all the over two thousand miles on the Z900RS were in Scotland. Maybe the Dunlops suit the roads north of Hadrians Wall? Saying that I'll probably go for Michelin Road 5's when they get more worn, and they've only got just over 3mm left.

Dunno really, I'm Cornwall so likely still got the same Celtic Crumbly infrastructure!  :008:

Online Oop North John

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • *
  • Posts: 395
  • Town / City: NE Scotland
  • Country: gb
Up here they just love to surface dress the roads, ie spread a thin layer of tar and then cover it with an inch or two of chuckies ( gravel chips, small stones) and let the traffic roller them into the tar. Not nice when there's big bands of them on the road, or just after they've laid it as you get loads of tar splatters  :013:

When it's done well it does give a grippy, though abrasive surface, and I never get the massive miles others do out of their tyres.

Offline Killer_01

  • Z900RS Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
  • Bike: Z900RS Caf
  • Town / City: Lisbon
  • Country: pt
I've actually had worst tyres, nonetheless, I agree with kernowjim in everything. Biggest mods I've done in my bike, rated with how better they made the bike:

S22s tyres - 10 out of 10
Rear shock SAG - 8 out of 10
Front Ohlins cartridges - 8 out of 10
Kaoko "Cruise control" - 5/10
Full Zard exhaust system - 4 out of 10
16 tooth front sprocket - its in but not tested yet.

So yeah, in my experience, tyres were the best mod, money/improvement ratio very very good too!
Happy Zed Caf commuter..

Offline mfairplay

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • *
  • Posts: 235
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Cape Cod, Mass.
  • Country: us
The Dunlops seem fine to me, certainly as good as any stock tire on the bikes I've owned. I'm content to let them wear out in their own good time. I'm never in a hurry to change motorcycle tires. I do it myself and it's a PITA.