Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Givi 30L panniers  (Read 860 times)

Offline MilliniumFalcon

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: San Diego
Givi 30L panniers
on: July 25, 2020, 07:44:34 PM
Just thought I'd post up some pictures of my setup with the Givi 30l Dolomiti (DLM30B) boxes on my cafe...  Please move this post if it should go somewhere else...

*jesus this photo thing is tedious!
Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 08:28:45 PM by MilliniumFalcon

Offline MilliniumFalcon

• Z900RS Member
Re: Givi 30L panniers
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 08:00:24 PM
The Givi side panniers racks (PL4124 SPECIFIC SIDE CASE HARDWARE) are supposed to require and mount to the Givi main tail rack (SR4124 SPECIFIC REAR RACK), however Amazon managed to lose my main tail rack somewhere in Georgia for 2 weeks prior to my trip, so I had to fabricate a bracket in order to mount the side racks without the missing main rack.  The main rack hangs from the 4 rear mudguard mounting bolts under the tail (as well as the two bobbin mounting points) and provides a third attachment point for the side racks which also use the bobbins bolts along with the passenger footrest pivot bolts.  Frankly the whole stock givi main and side rack setup lacks continuity, so I wasn't all too mad about the lost shipment - also saved $212.50 since my homemade bracket only cost $7.50 worth of 1/8" steel.  I added a couple extra holes and bends outboard of the necessary mounting holes, however I didn't end up using them for anything with my particular luggage setup.  The side luggage racks comes with a rear turn signal and license plate relocation bracket that utilizes the stock mudguard/license plate mounting setup, bummer to add even more stuff back there haha, but it works, and my aftermarket tail tidy interfered with the boxes. 

Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 08:42:25 PM by MilliniumFalcon

Offline MilliniumFalcon

• Z900RS Member
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 08:26:59 PM
Should add that I also bought the SL102 SECURITY KEY LOCK SET to replace the lock barrels in both panniers so I could use the same key for both panniers, as the panniers are mostly used as top boxes and don't come as a set.  And also, buying direct from givi in the US is not recommended as they charge fulllllll retail, meanwhile nearly all US based online retailers have been authorized to give 20-30% discounts...  Tour and Ride .com is a good one.  Givi USA customer support over the phone is pretty great too.

The panniers worked great, the racks etc are quite well done, required no extra drilling or fiddling, fit great even with my homemade bracket.  Everything is surprisingly light weight.  The boxes can unclip off the rack with the key and a push of a button, click back on perfectly easily, and are locked to the rack and locked shut simultaneously in order to remove the key.  Truthfully a crowbar could easily pop them off the rack and pop them open, as the locking mechanism has some plastic weak links...but better than nothing.    I also got the matching inner 30L bags so I could accurately pack things into each side without having to guess on size etc and possibly needing to repack due to things not fitting etc.  Pretty slick.  The panniers have a seal around the shell that could possibly be water proof if you don't overpack the contents and cause the seam to be more open than intended.  The setup survived multitudes of wheelies with an occasional hard landing, a few dirt roads, and an occasional test of the bike's top speed... 
Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 08:30:27 PM by MilliniumFalcon

Offline equ

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Bike: 2019 jaffa
Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 10:46:57 PM
They look great, thanks for sharing. Givi, in general, makes quality stuff. I'm going with a top box solution, but I love the look of the black Dolomitis.

Offline Rufus2010

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Minnesota
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 04:31:22 AM
Boy, those mounting racks sure hold those panniers far away from the bike. Looks like if you could modify those racks you could get the panniers tucked in 3 or 4 inches.
Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 04:33:03 AM by Rufus2010

Online CaliZed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS God
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold CA.
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 04:45:00 AM
*Originally Posted by Rufus2010 [+]
Boy, those mounting racks sure hold those panniers far away from the bike. Looks like if you could modify those racks you could get the panniers tucked in 3 or 4 inches.

:0461:

Online CaliZed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS God
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold CA.
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 04:46:15 AM
Crater Lake is one of the great wonders of the world.  Beautiful!  Say though, with alll that gear, were you on a summer long tour? :008:

Offline MilliniumFalcon

• Z900RS Member
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 04:48:15 AM
*Originally Posted by Rufus2010 [+]

You're right it does kind of look like that, a big part of the optics is a wide angle camera lens and close up shots making the perspective skewed.  Physically, the determining factor for the width of the rack is actually the swingarm (due to huge rear tire) and its relationship to the bottommost part of the racks - the swingarm has to be able to travel along its arc without hitting the bottom of the pannier setup.  What would look appropriately narrow and tight to the bike at the top of the rack would actually be too narrow at the bottom where the swing arm needs room.  As the racks are now, they only clear the swingarm by an inch, slightly less even.  You could have the racks flair out at the bottom to clear the swing arm and in at the top to be tighter to the bike, but the orientation of the panniers to the bike would look kind of "bowlegged".

My old BMW airhead ('74) runs such a narrow rear tire and swingarm that its racks looks way more tucked in to bike. 
Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 05:22:29 AM by MilliniumFalcon

Offline MilliniumFalcon

• Z900RS Member
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 05:15:02 AM
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]
Crater Lake is one of the great wonders of the world.  Beautiful!  Say though, with alll that gear, were you on a summer long tour? :008:

Hahaha yes some serious overpacking took place, particularly given the fact that I didn't see a single cloud in 7 days!!  Truth of the matter is that like a total sell out, I drove from the southernmost city in california  to the northernmost with my bike and all my gear thrown in the back of the van.  One shot straight down the 5 freeway behind I giant godsend of a windshield, about 11 hours due to LA traffic, to kick the trip off in Oregon.  I was expecting to be able to pack the night I arrived and take off on the bike in the morning...however upon arrival I was greeted by riders in riding gear, and notified that we changed plans and were leaving to camp the first night due to my buddy's wife not being fullllllly informed that 6 men were planning to spend a night in her house mid Covid Era...long story short, I just strapped the whole damn kit on the back of the bike and took off.

Offline Rufus2010

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Minnesota
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 05:26:15 AM
*Originally Posted by MilliniumFalcon [+]
You're right it does kind of look like that, a big part of the optics is a wide angle camera lens and close up shots, but the physically the determining factor (for width) is the swingarm (due to huge rear tire) and its relationship to the bottommost part of the racks - the swingarm has to be able to travel along its arc without hitting the bottom of the pannier setup.  What would look appropriately narrow and tight to the bike at the top of the rack would actually be too narrow at the bottom where the swing arm needs room.  As the racks are now, they only clear the swingarm by an inch, slightly less even.  You could have the racks flair out at the bottom to clear the swing arm and in at the top to be tighter to the bike, but the orientation of the panniers to the bike would look kind of "bowlegged".

My old BMW airhead ('74) runs such a narrow rear tire and swingarm that its racks looks way more tucked in to bike.

I still donít get it. I read what you say and look at the pictures and I cannot see where tue swingarm is anywhere near the mounting rack. The lower front attachment points are on the passenger foot peg mounts, well outside of the swingarm, and the tear lower mounting points ate on the license playe holder, well behind the swingarm. I just canít see what you are describing.
  The muffler is much closer to the swingarm than any point of the rack.

Edit:
  Maybe the lower front attachment points are inboard of the passengee foot peg mounts by quite a bit? I canít tell. But even if that is so, Iím not talking about the mounting points. They would stay the same. They would have to. I am talking about modifying the frame outboard of the mounting points.  The mounting points stay the same, but the frame is reworked so that it doesnít stick out so far.

Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 05:44:02 AM by Rufus2010