Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: slight rough idle and surging at steady lower speeds  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Pappy

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Eustis, Florida
Re: slight rough idle and surging at steady lower speeds
Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 06:55:56 PM
Seafoam is a weakling compared to Techron in the bottle. Read what is in it.
The two most effective fuel injector and fuel system cleaners are polyisbutylamine (PIBA) and polyetheramine (PEA).
Seafoam doesn’t contain either of them.

Offline silverjoe

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: Alberta
Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 09:28:48 PM
*Originally Posted by vancouver z [+]
update on the surging... still slightly rough on idle, but its 2500rpm in 2nd gear where its really noticeable.  just seems to want to surge slightly, just enough to be a bit annoying.   pulls strong and smooth in acceleration no matter how aggressive in any gear.  suggestions?
Is your bike stock or modified?

Offline vancouver z

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: vancouver
Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 06:33:35 AM
16T sprocket and throttle tamer.  otherwise stock.  i dont recall it ever doing that.  and yes, i could avoid steady 2500rpm, but sometimes i just like the sound as i ride.  just dont like the surging.

Offline sklover

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 18 Candytone
  • Town / City: bothell
Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 07:40:56 AM
This may or may not be relevant to your situation, but here's what happened to me:  about 9 thousand miles or so ago (have 12,850 now) I noticed sometimes I had rough running, and inconsistent smoothness at idle.  Seeming to misfire sometimes, inconsistently, revving it from idle in neutral would sometimes produce a misfire/backfire.  And a general down on power feeling.  Sometimes I'd go to WOT and swear I was missing 20 whp.  After a bit the big DUH factor kicked in.  When I was putting gas in her, I would ride up to the pump, and I was mostly using an off brand, and fill er up with the highest octane, 92 in my area.  Anyway, all these pumps I was using have only 1 (one) hose that comes out of the big housing, splitting off from the 3 grades down in the housing.  So whatever gas was last pumped would be the first gallon or gallon plus that flowed into my bike.  Each time any customer got gas, the fuel shutoff leaves the grade of last used fuel from the internal splitter to the nozzle.  So every time I was gassing up I was randomly and most probably usually getting the first gallon of shite 87 octane Kawi killer gas.  And I liked to get gas alot when down to a half tank so when ever I started I'd be full.  I started religiously fueling only at chevron or 76 and only at older stations that had the individual pump nozzle per grade.  Presto, problem went away.  Now problem is morphed into trying to find a pump when I pull in where the last sale was 92 octane.  What's happened is that all the older stations near me have retro fitted their pumps to the one nozzle style so I can no longer just confidently pull up and use the individual 92 pump.  Now I have to make a big production of finding a pump that last pumped 92.   :003:  I've even had to once finally offer to give a random stranger a free gallon of gas cause I couldn't get a last used 92.  That was frustrating but the fellow was understanding an happily took the first gallon then moved to the next pump.  So in my case the fuel situation is crucial.  I do have the 2WDW reflash, and not even the stock one at that, mine was tuned on the dyno, so I may be more sensitive than most.  Anyway, sorry fer the long windedness, but my problem did go away.  Moral of the story: very fuel sensitive machine.

Online CaliZed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS God
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold CA.
Reply #14 on: June 28, 2020, 08:11:12 AM
I contacted the weights and measure department here in CA with a similar inquiry some years back.  I was told that using different octanes does not affect the one you choose.  Of course we have those awful space gun nozzles to deal with here but I was assured that none of the previous octane would be pumped into my tank if I chose a different octane that was previously pumped.  91 is the highest octane here and I randomly use that or the mid grade 89.  No change whatever in power or performance.  I also run 89 in my Hayabusa with no problems either.

Offline vancouver z

• Z900RS Member
Reply #15 on: July 01, 2020, 07:07:14 AM
always chevron... and here we still have the separate hose for the highest octane.  seafoam done... still kinda surges trying to hold steady at 2500-3000 rpm if in 2 or 3 gear.

Offline TallyRex

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 900 Root Beer, V1K
  • Town / City: Tallahassee
Reply #16 on: July 01, 2020, 12:11:19 PM
Sklover,

I think using the unbranded gas was your problem, not the amount of 87 gas left in the pipeline.  The first 6 months I had my bike, I thought it was supposed to take 87, then I re-read the manual and now I use 89.  Never had a problem

Offline Dirty Dave

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2018 Jaffa
  • Town / City: Montreal
Reply #17 on: July 01, 2020, 02:41:30 PM
I understood we should use 90+ octane.

That's what the sticker on my tank said.
Owner's manual says, "Use clean, fresh unleaded gasoline
with the following conditions.
Antiknock Index of 90 or more
Up to 10% of ethanol contained."

I go outta my way to use ethanol free gas still available
in a coupla stations here.
18 Z900RS Jaffa
97 Honda Valkyrie
79 Honda GoldWing

Online Notsoaverageguy

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Cafe 900
  • Town / City: Sandiego
Reply #18 on: July 01, 2020, 06:01:22 PM
Dont know if you mentioned it. How many miles on the bike?
Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler!
(Albert Einstein)

Offline vancouver z

• Z900RS Member
Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 02:23:55 AM
8000 miles