Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Renthal Bars and Yamaha Heated Grips  (Read 449 times)

Offline KJens

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: OVERLAND PARK
Renthal Bars and Yamaha Heated Grips
on: May 26, 2020, 01:59:19 AM
I installed Renthal 819-50-BK Bars with Yamaha B67-H29A0-V0-00 Universal Grip warmers last week and have been fairly happy with the results    The Bars are approx.  30mm lower and less swept than stock.  At  78cm wide, they within a few mm of the stock width.  At first I thought the bars were too wide, but I've grown to like them - they kind of have a early 80's Eddie Lawson Superbike vibe.

Avert your eyes from the left mirror as I've managed to sneak an image of my bald self taking the picture.  I chose the Yamaha grips because they are OEM quality, easy to install and have no extra control box.   The leads on the left grip are a bit short though, and with stock bars you might have some exposed connectors, but with the lower bars the connectors tucked in nicely behind the head light.  Some have complained that these grips do not put out enough heat, but they are programmable for different current draws, so read the instructions!   I didn't at first.    Be aware that these grips are a little less than 120mm wide including the thickened edge for the wiring and controls - so if you have large hands this could be an issue.  The grips have Yamaha branding you can see below the green indicators, thus far this has not caused my Kawasaki to have any problems. :038:

Wiring

You can buy two 2.3 mm Sumitomo male terminals and seals from these guys ( http://www.cycleterminal.com/hm-sealed-series-090.html  or ebay), crimp them on the power leads of the heated grips, and then insert them in the male connector already on the connector for the factory heated grips (under the left side cover).  Now your grips will plug into a fused switched power source just like factory.

The red wires are from the Yamaha heated grips which will now easily plug into the female connector just above.

Misadventures with cheap handle bars

I bought some cheap no name bars based on the following diagram:

These should have been exactly the correct size based on my interpretation of the diagram.  I thought that the 210mm dimension would indicate the length of the straight section for controls, but it clearly did not.  These bars only had about 185mm of straight bar at the end which is less than the approximately 200mm needed to fit all the Kawasaki controls.     The quality of the bars was fine, but buying no name parts is always kind of a gamble.

Throttle Tube and Grip Glue

I like to be able to return a bike to stock easily, so instead of removing the stock grips from the stock bars I bought a Motion Pro throttle tube, Part number 01 1042 which was less than $10.00, came in black and worked fine.  The plastic was a little harder than stock and I did have to sand off a ridge so I could install the grip a little further on to the tube (do this before using adhesive).

My wife/daughters no longer have any hair spray which is not some sort of conditioning goop  so I had to find something else to stick the grips.  I was also concerned that with heated grips I should use some sort of better adhesive.   I was doing this on a Sunday, no bike shops were open so I had to do a little research.    Checking the SDS sheet on Motion Pro's newest grip glue indicated it was mostly tetrachloroethylene.   E6000 is a readily available adhesive which is good to 180 deg. F and is also mostly tetrachloroethylene so I used that and it is working fine so far. 

Bar End Mirrors and Vibration

The bar end mirrors I was going to use had a 15mm diameter insert.  Renthal bars have an ID of ~14mm.  I could have drilled out the ends of the bars, but all I had was a 5/8" bit and it would have been a pain, so I just put some cheap Amazon mirrors on.   These mirrors if installed correctly work pretty well.   Vibration in the mirrors or handgrips has not been a problem even without the standard bar end weights, but  people have different sensitivities to this. 

One more picture from the front:

Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 02:07:36 AM by KJens

Offline halbie

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Portland
Re: Renthal Bars and Yamaha Heated Grips
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 05:55:39 AM
Very nice and the info for the oem electric connector is a bonus.

Do those bars just pop right on the clamp? And I'm a little confused by your description of the geometry. It sounds like they're slightly narrower than OEM but you still may have thought they are too wide. Is that correct? And sorry for a really dumb question: what do you mean by "swept" compared to OEM?

Thanks much.

Offline KJens

• Z900RS Junior Member
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 12:49:51 PM
Yes, these bars fit into the clamp.  Generally 28mm or 1 1/8" diameter bars will fit into the stock clamp.  I believe the stock bars are about 77cm wide so these are about 5mm wider on each side (1 cm wider total at 78cm).

Sweep is how far back the bars angle toward the rider which indicated by the 110mm dimension on the red dimensioned diagram.  Its hard to get an exact measure since you can rotate any bar in the clamp to adjust, but  these bars are about 25mm lower and maybe 20 mm further forward than stock.   The 30mm dimension in the original post was an estimate of the combination of these two dimensions. 

Offline Hallard85

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: the lime green one
  • Town / City: Renton, WA, USA
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 07:56:48 PM
Looks great!

Where did you get the black gauge bezels and how involved was their installation???

Offline KJens

• Z900RS Junior Member
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 09:46:29 PM
I'm a bit ashamed to admit this, but google "platidip emblems".   I know there is a bit stigma to this material, but it works well for changing chrome to black,  is reasonably durable, and can be removed if desired.

There are many tips and tricks so watch a few videos.  Use many coats (over 5) to make sure the material is thick enough to be easily removable.  Even with the multiple coats it only takes few hours to do - wait overnight before "peeling" though.

Offline Hallard85

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: the lime green one
  • Town / City: Renton, WA, USA
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 10:12:14 PM
*Originally Posted by KJens [+]
I'm a bit ashamed to admit this, but google "platidip emblems".   I know there is a bit stigma to this material, but it works well for changing chrome to black,  is reasonably durable, and can be removed if desired.

There are many tips and tricks so watch a few videos.  Use many coats (over 5) to make sure the material is thick enough to be easily removable.  Even with the multiple coats it only takes few hours to do - wait overnight before "peeling" though.

Neat, thanks! Did you remove the bezels to plastidip them? or simply mask and paint them in place?

Offline KJens

• Z900RS Junior Member
Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 12:56:48 AM
Just noticed I misspelled plastidip on my previous post....anyway, I took the headlight bezel off when I coated it, but I left the gauge bezel in place.  I  did take the bars out the clamp to have better access to spray the bottom of the bezel.  I masked everything except the bezels.   I think it would have been easier, and worked better, if I used the technique where you mask the general area to be coated, coat the whole area, and peel of the areas you do not want coated.
Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 12:58:19 AM by KJens