Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Review of Ivanís Flash, Highly Recommend  (Read 12188 times)

Offline sklover

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 18 Candytone
  • Town / City: bothell
Re: Review of Ivanís Flash, Highly Recommend
Reply #60 on: July 02, 2020, 04:28:26 AM
The 16T is a moot point vis a vis a reflash.  Just mention it to any shop, no diff.  I'd remove the throttle tamer if I was getting a stock reflash, it won't be needed.

Vroom Vrooom

Offline silverjoe

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: Alberta
Reply #61 on: July 02, 2020, 07:23:12 PM
The sprocket is a personal choice for how you ride so it's up to you.
The throttle tamer shouldn't be needed but you could try it on and off, again a personal choice.

Offline Paulbiz

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Clifton
Reply #62 on: July 07, 2020, 07:17:21 PM
Hey Guys, thinking about doing  Ivan"s ECU Flash, airbox mod, and getting the Akra headers...I was wondering if there happens to be any "How To" videos or instructions on the forum (or elsewhere) that describe in detail how to remove the ECU, remove and mod the airbox, replace the header, etc. ?

I did a search and got a ton of hits but almost all were reviews related to performance and not the How To in doing the mods. Im not a mechanic but I can do my own maintenance and a bit beyond so I think this would be a fun project for me. That said, I was a bit confused by the instructions on Ivans website on doing the airbox mod and removing the ecu (not Ivan's fault - I just need more details!)  Thanks, any help is appreciated!  :305:

Offline Azcafe

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Cave creek
Reply #63 on: July 07, 2020, 08:09:29 PM
I did these exact steps (but didnt change the intake snorkles). The WD40 trick works well, be liberal. The rest was  experience, figuring it out on the fly, and beer.
Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 08:46:25 PM by Azcafe
Kevin

Offline Paulbiz

• Z900RS Pro
Reply #64 on: July 07, 2020, 08:44:49 PM
The more I look at Ivan's pics of the airbox mods the more sense it all makes now. I also read through the Akra headers installation instructions. Seems pretty straightforward but things can start to get pricey quick with these mods. For example, the K & N filter alone runs $60 + US, two velocity airbox stacks will run you another $60+, Akra header is about $650-700, Ivan's ECU flash is $350, new gaskets for the headers are $20+ a piece , etc. Not to mention tools and other materials. Im not complaining just trying to be realistic as to what it would cost to do the full Ivan setup. Total would run about $1300-1400. So to gain approximately 19 more horsepower and a much smoother power delivery over stock it will run about 70 bucks per horsepower added. Seems like a really cool project and would make Z900rs everything it should be motor-wise! VERY tempting....but if I do it I know I'll then be lulled down the mod rabbit hole and suspension mods would need to come next...my poor bank account. Maybe I'll just get the ECU flash, a K and N filter, do the airbox mod  and call it a day?!  :084:  :008:

Offline Azcafe

• Z900RS Member
Reply #65 on: July 07, 2020, 08:50:58 PM
good plan. Ivan talked me out of the K&N and snorkles, but did recommend removing the partition in the airbox due to me having him raising the redline.
Kevin

Offline Paulbiz

• Z900RS Pro
Reply #66 on: July 07, 2020, 08:56:13 PM
Thanks Azcafe, was the reasoning behind talking you out of the K & N and stack mods because with an ECU flash alone (i.e. without a replacement header) there wouldn't be any significant gains in performance by replacing the stock air filter and modifying the stacks?
Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 08:58:32 PM by Paulbiz

Offline Azcafe

• Z900RS Member
Reply #67 on: July 07, 2020, 08:59:10 PM
Ivan explained (and the dyno charts on his site confirm) that the gains are minimal and only at the top end of the rev range. Since its more of a daily rider for me, I opted out.
Kevin

Offline Dirty Dave

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2018 Jaffa
  • Town / City: Montreal
Reply #68 on: July 07, 2020, 09:32:06 PM
" Maybe I'll just get the ECU flash, a K and N filter, do the airbox mod  and call it a day?! "

Get the Sprint filter instead. Seems to be the way to go for flow & longevity.
Research it just in case I'm fulla crap.
18 Z900RS Jaffa
97 Honda Valkyrie
79 Honda GoldWing

Offline jerryhk91

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Salt Rock
Reply #69 on: July 07, 2020, 10:14:49 PM
Hey Paulbiz , At first the ecu was being stubborn at removing after looking at his instructions, but just squirt silicone spray between the rubber case it rides in and the ecu , don't be stingy with it ...lol . Spray around all sides and it will the slip right out . That was my problem at first because the  rubber holds the ecu tight but that took care of it .