Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: ECU reflash review (Ivan's)  (Read 8594 times)

Online Salnap

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Springfield Mass
Re: ECU reflash review (Ivan's)
Reply #50 on: July 29, 2020, 10:22:47 AM
i thought Ivan and 2wdw did free reflashes...

Online Hillie

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
Reply #51 on: July 29, 2020, 05:02:40 PM
2wdw does and I think more will.

Offline MilliniumFalcon

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: San Diego
Reply #52 on: July 30, 2020, 04:26:00 AM
I think I'll have to pop for this if I hang on to my bike....funny how you can ride a bike without realizing that you're compensating for something odd about your bike...in my case I was almost always waiting until after what would be my normal throttle roll on spot in order to stand the bike up a biiiiit more and get a little more pointed out at the exit before rolling on the throttle, just because the light switch from off to on throttle had subconsciously programmed me to protect myself against mid corner throttle drama.  I was even going so far as to trail brake in longer and seriously point and shoot corners just to keep from having the throttle snatch catch me out mid corner.  I didn't even realize it until a buddy of mine I used to race with mentioned that I could go faster mid corner-exit, and I had to try to figure out why I was being slow.  Once I figured it out and started trying to use the throttle like I should, that's when the fueling issues became blatant!  I had been totally riding around the issues without even realizing it!

Offline Dirty Dave

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2018 Jaffa
  • Town / City: Montreal
Reply #53 on: July 30, 2020, 01:18:02 PM
It is a shame that we have to pay extra to make the Z safe.

Now I know that some here don't have a serious problem with
the Euro 4 restriction mess but I did. Almost dumped the bike
once, not to mention threatened engine longevity running
too lean & hot.

Maybe the "solution" is for manufacturers to make track only bikes
for fun applications. A Vespa for in town use and a rocket for weekend
track fun.

18 Z900RS Jaffa
97 Honda Valkyrie
79 Honda GoldWing

Online Notsoaverageguy

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Cafe 900
  • Town / City: Sandiego
Reply #54 on: July 31, 2020, 01:51:50 AM
So I guess this would be a good place to post this. I have 6500 miles on my cafe and did not have a "complaint" with the throttle action. But I was coming off of a ZX10R monster that had just enough power (to much  :007:) now that bike I would say was twitchy on the throttle. My wife described it (the few times she rode it) as a bull coming out of a pen at a rodeo leaving a traffic light  :005: I guess I just was used to it. But heres the point. I just started down another rabbit hole, and bought the Woolich Racing Tune software for my RS.  I was already familiar with it as I had it on my Ninja. Plus I never pay anyone to work on my bikes if the tools are available to me. So the first mod I did was turn off my PAIR system. Turn off the EGO (I installed a Zeitronix one for fuel mapping) and turned off Fuel shut off (which is what I am assuming Ivan is doing) and rode the bike through my favorite twisties.  :305: I do love this part about tuning a bike the test rides :046: Conclusion? I have to say it smoothed out the throttle response IMMENSELY. I was surprised. The way I would describe it is the difference between a carburated  bike and a fuel injected bike. I know that sounds funny, but I can always feel the difference between the 2. That is unless the bike is real heavy, say like a Harley or Goldwing. Weight smooths out the off on digital switching. Thats why cars get away with it much easier.  Yeah some are worse than others but thats what FI is. It does not have the natural flow of fuel to the need or demand of the engine. Engineers do there best to predict response but usually never as good as good old fashion fuel flow physics. So while I still stand by my original statement that I did not experience a problem with Mona in stock form. I wont be turning on fuel shut off anytime soon. But now comes the fun part, more test rides to log data. And when I get it just right I will add the quick shifter.  THATS what is at the bottom of the rabbit hole  :082:
Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler!
(Albert Einstein)

Offline RexMonster

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Denton
Reply #55 on: August 01, 2020, 01:40:53 PM
That's awesome Notsoaverageguy!!

It's funny, I was just telling a guy yesterday who has never performed any motor/performance mods on his bikes over the years, about what kind of programming is being done by the manufacturer and how these modern bikes are significantly tailored for compliance.  He did admit that he's loves his bike the way it is but has been tempted to do mods and does question why a modern bike with fuel injection isn't super smooth like he thought it would be.  It was a long conversation and I explained that you don't need to go all out, spend lots of money and get crazy with mods to fix these things.  Reprogramming the ECU keeping the stock setup on the bike can be done!!  It's like the cake with the icing.  I had mentioned guys like Ivan and others that do these things at a very reasonable cost with a guarantee that if you need to go back to the stock set-up for any reason they'll do it with no problems.  Turning off the fuel shut off at closed throttle is worth it alone.  Anyways........I'm hoping he finds the right person to do it and he ops to just go for it.  It's awesome seeing someones reaction to a better setup on their beloved bike for the first time.   :156: 

Once bitten by that Mod Bug.............we all know what happens............ :745:

Offline MilliniumFalcon

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: San Diego
Reply #56 on: August 02, 2020, 07:51:19 PM
*Originally Posted by Notsoaverageguy [+]
So I guess this would be a good place to post this....

Would you recommend someone who can barely work a computer jump down the rabbit hole?

Online Notsoaverageguy

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Cafe 900
  • Town / City: Sandiego
Reply #57 on: August 03, 2020, 04:24:51 PM
Woolich Racing has awesome support. If you have a question less than a day and they get back to you thoroughly answering the question. Plus even before you buy you can watch YouTube videos and see if you think itís over your head.
Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler!
(Albert Einstein)

Online Hillie

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
Reply #58 on: August 03, 2020, 04:38:36 PM
Hmm, now I'm tempted to look into this. :)

Offline foureyes

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Cafe - Green
  • Town / City: Burton on Trent, UK
Reply #59 on: August 03, 2020, 08:17:52 PM
I might have missed it... Or even forgotten... But has anyone in the UK done this yet?
Pistonheads: lukeyman
Daily Driver: Renault Zoe
Other Toys: Clio 197 & MT09-SP (Sold! Woop! What next?)