Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Ohlins package inquiry?  (Read 1328 times)

Online Hillie

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
Re: Ohlins package inquiry?
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 01:50:05 AM
*Originally Posted by Notsoaverageguy [+]
I am a little disappointed in Kawasaki though, they spec them out from Showa to only have the dampening (both compression and rebound) from just the one side. And they do preload from the other side.

So are you saying the preload nut on one of the legs is of no use, and the rebound screw on the other leg has no use? Or is that per side of each leg? Only one of the legs has a compression adjuster...

Offline Notsoaverageguy

• Forum Supporter
    and Approved Vendor
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Cafe 900
  • Town / City: Sandiego
Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 01:56:32 AM
The 2012-18 spec on the 6r and 10r has Essentially 2 different legs. They both have springs on the Zx series but only 1 cap has dampener adjustment and the other cap has preload from the top. They have these EXTRA heavy shim stack on the pistons to make up for it only being on 1 leg. Interesting discovery in my research on the Versey which has 41 mm bottom tube also (like or RS and Cafe) only has 1 massive spring on 1 side. All the dampening is done on the other side with a non rebuildable cartridge. No that is pretty close to the bottom of the barrel.
Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler!
(Albert Einstein)

Online Hillie

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 03:48:40 AM
Ah, you were talking about the zx6r suspension, not the RS.

Offline Notsoaverageguy

• Forum Supporter
    and Approved Vendor
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Cafe 900
  • Town / City: Sandiego
Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 08:01:35 AM
Thatís correct, the RS has rebound adjustment on both legs, and both cartridges are the same. Itís the bottom bracket on NonBPF (like the RS ) that have the compression adjuster built into it. As you can see on the RS no adjustment on the left side for compression. And the reason I called the RS bottom of the barrel is because not only is there no com, adjustment but the cartridges are all steel along with the rods. I know itís a small thing but the ZX line gets all aluminum. BTW I did at first change out the pistons from a standard ZX 10r with shim stacks in the stock RS cartridge. And that alone was a fairly big improvement. That is probably the cheapest fix for stock forks, considering those parts are dirt cheap. And if you can do it yourself and have no money itís a no brainer. Consider also you can buy a race tech gold valve and install the 6r piston set up fairly inexpensively. Itís no match for a BPF but a lot easier if you donít have the skills or equipment to go that route.
Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:03:01 AM by Notsoaverageguy
Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler!
(Albert Einstein)

Offline green one

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: rotselaar
Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 06:42:07 AM
what year zx10/6 would that be?
and wich parts exactly does one need?
thanks