Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Replacing The Radiator  (Read 582 times)

Offline PK Driven

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Atlanta
Replacing The Radiator
on: February 24, 2020, 08:09:37 PM
Hey all,

So a few months I took a spill going about 20-30 mph. Thankfully nothing happened besides a bruised wrist and ankle.

My bike did receive a bent radiator, a dent on the gas tank and a few other things as well, but I've slowly repaired the little things. I'm probably going to keep the dented gas tank as a reminder.

Anyways, this past weekend I tried to replace the radiator and could not figure out how to drain the coolant. I was expecting a coolant drain plug that I could easily unscrew to drain the coolant, but no go... I double checked the manual, but it recommends taking the bike to the dealership for any coolant related maintenance...

Has anyone done any work on the radiator? Do you think I could unhook one of the hoses that lead to the radiator and drain the coolant that way or am I taking a trip to the dealer?

The bike has been running just fine with a bent radiator. I haven't noticed it run any hotter than usual, but that probably has to due with the colder winter months and would like to get the problem resolved before temps start to ramp up.

Let me know what you peeps think.

Thanks!

Online Evangelos K

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
Re: Replacing The Radiator
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 10:38:53 PM
Thatís what I did when I replaced the coolant for track use.  Disconnected and drained from the hose.
2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
2017 Honda CBR1000RR ABS
2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Offline PK Driven

• Z900RS Junior Member
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 02:56:17 PM
Cool beans. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy thinking I could drain the coolant through the hose.

I'll work on this over the weekend and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Offline ZZ

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS jaffa
  • Town / City: South
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 09:55:18 AM
Mate I havn't bothered to look in the manual (same as you) but most liquid cooled bikes have the water pump driven from the transmission somewhere, Usually behind the front sprocket cover you might see a thing like a snail shape. Then look for a bolt with a sealing washer. Undo the bolt and all the coolant drains when you want to change it. If you only want to replace the radiator then just drain that. When you refill it pays to have the filler at highest point to avoid air locks. Run it till the thermostat opens then check level after it cools down again. I usually do this outside so I can rinse off any spilled coolant immediately. You know to check level at the bottle right, not taking the cap off. Generally not a good idea to mix different coolants so I favour the change the lot method.
Sorry, Atlanta too far away.
Z1,Z1A,Z1B,Z900A4,GPz1100BI,ZR1100A1 and still gottem

Offline silverjoe

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: Alberta
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 05:05:25 AM
*Originally Posted by ZZ [+]
Mate I havn't bothered to look in the manual (same as you) but most liquid cooled bikes have the water pump driven from the transmission somewhere, Usually behind the front sprocket cover you might see a thing like a snail shape. Then look for a bolt with a sealing washer. Undo the bolt and all the coolant drains when you want to change it. If you only want to replace the radiator then just drain that. When you refill it pays to have the filler at highest point to avoid air locks. Run it till the thermostat opens then check level after it cools down again. I usually do this outside so I can rinse off any spilled coolant immediately. You know to check level at the bottle right, not taking the cap off. Generally not a good idea to mix different coolants so I favour the change the lot method.
Sorry, Atlanta too far away.

Just checked the service manual, on the left side of the bike on the water pump there is a drain bolt at about the
5 o'clock position.

Offline PK Driven

• Z900RS Junior Member
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 04:09:34 PM
Sounds good. I'll double check the service manual for the drain bolt.

I should be able to get this done over the weekend. I may post some before and after picks.

Thanks again for the help.