Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Z900RS OEM Tyres  (Read 29957 times)

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold CA.
Re: Z900RS OEM Tyres
Reply #110 on: November 09, 2019, 06:43:42 AM
Pics?

Online Hillie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
Reply #111 on: November 09, 2019, 01:43:42 PM
I haven't had any cold(er) weather concerns about the stock tires. I'm at about 6200 miles, I probably ride like a granny as I still have decent thread left, but no issue in 30s and 40s weather either, much like Evangelos. Never scraped the feelers, but my strips are almost non-existent. I'm much fatter than him though, so that might be a geometry change based on suspension compression.

My big concern with the tires is wet roads, they tend to feel as if they slide around more easily to me. On my previous bike I'd just switched to Pirelli Angel GT II before I traded it in, got about 3000 miles on those, and they were great on wet roads too, so that'll be my choice soon for a replacement for these.

Offline Evangelos K

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
Reply #112 on: November 09, 2019, 03:06:40 PM
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]
Pics?

Mean while on the track?  No, unfortunately.  I set my go pro 1st time on a chest mount since I’m out of adhesive bike mounts... and I got a couple “nice” videos of... the tank and my knees.... :008:

But here are 2 of the peg and tire. Actually it seems I have less than 1/6” strips.  Not good. I have been getting quicker on the track, but I lean too much.  Last time I almost lost the Street Triple scraping the exhaust, which lifted the swingarm.  And that is an aftermarket exhaust sitting higher...

Here is couple of me on the Street Triple

Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 03:33:00 PM by Evangelos K
2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
2017 Honda CBR1000RR ABS
2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Online Hillie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
Reply #113 on: November 09, 2019, 03:37:31 PM
Move your upper body more to the inside of the turn, so you can keep the bike more upright in turns. Even a little bit of extra shift helps quite a bit I found.

Online Killer_01

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Café
  • Town / City: Lisbon
Reply #114 on: November 11, 2019, 11:05:07 AM
*Originally Posted by Evangelos K [+]

Fresh off a track day just 7 hrs ago.  I disagree 100%.
57F, so cool and not the best grip.   OEM tires were THE LAST thing of concern.  Actually of almost no concern.
As you said, right after the 1st round, the feelers had to come off.  Scraped on every turn.  Then, I scraped the actual pegs, but it was much better. Again, the cheap in price OEM tires gave me 0 concern. 

What made me nervous and “tight,” besides the pegs dragging.... the rear suspension is, for truck use, unacceptable.  And that is coming from a 150lbs rider, maybe 170 with gear.  I was on the edge riding due to it, and the lack of compression adjustment is a killer.  I did increase some preload, but the bike is just too soft on the compression.  There are some small bumps on a couple turns on the track, that were of no concern on my Street Triple.  Literally, on those 2 turns, while at lean, hitting the bumps made the pegs  scrape.  Overall, the bike feels floating and has kinda of a riverboat handling, at high speed and lean.

The tires did great. Again, being 57F, never did I lose grip, never, and they only slid slightly on the same turn every time when aggressively downshifting, which was predictable and of no concern.  They are nicely scrubbed but not shredded like they would be on a 90F day. Actually the pegs scraping and me being cautious left me with about 1/6” chicken strips, which IS the right way to do it, as on my  Street Triple at the track,  i ride all the shoulder, which might be fun, but leaves no headroom for error.

So, this is definitely not a “track bike” or a canyon carver.  It is a great bike with great suspension limitations, and low peg limitations.  But the OEM tires are nothing to worry about.  The best aspect of the bike, I was reminded again, is the awesome sitting position and the perfect handled bar, for ME (cafe.)  It is just perfection, sporty and not tiresome, and the bike is a joy and effortless to slide from side to side and hang off, with the bars being just right for street and track use.

I have my tyres scraped similar to yours, 0 chicken strips on the rear, actually I don't even have grooves on the right side any more, since the majority of turns on my commute are to the right side, I have small screws for feelers and even those are scraped. I have to admit that I experienced worse tyres than this OEM ones, on other bikes, sport tyres, but I did experienced some better too, this ones are too easy to take to the edge, the profile design is too flat. I understand the bike isn't too much of a canyon craver, and this is becoming more and more a concerning, I'm starting to think about other options. I get the tyres might not be the worst thing about this bike when craving, but they're not good either, and I've saw, read and heard miracles about how much better the bike gets with some better tyres.

Offline Evangelos K

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
Reply #115 on: November 11, 2019, 12:41:29 PM
^^^^
Right, the tires are indeed on the flatter side. I would not worry much about the rear, the front seems to be a steeper profile and thankfully does have some chicken strips left,  because definitely you don’t want to get to the edge of it. 
What pressures are you running?  On a 57F day, 32/32 worked great for the track. I did not get a hot reading because I had no issues with them at the track.  For street, I set my pressure BEFORE a ride and with that day’s temp. to 33F/34R. If you run the “recommended” 42 rear, and seemingly be an spirited rider, on that flatter rear you have no sidewall give and reduced contact patch.
2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
2017 Honda CBR1000RR ABS
2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Online Killer_01

• Z900RS Member
Reply #116 on: November 11, 2019, 02:18:10 PM
I'm running between 34F/~39R, of course at the front there's some beautiful chicken strips, even if I used it on the track I wouldn't dare to explore a lot more, this tyres are the first ones ever to slip on the front entering a corner, never felt this on any other bikes/tyres.. but this could be related to suspension too, so I'll try not to blame the rubber.

I'll try to go down a bit more on the pressures, but rear tyre is very worn in the middle, so it probably wont make it justice. 1 more month and I'll be wrapping the wheels with some Pirelli DR2 or Michelin PRS, with the steeper profile I grown to love. And then some aftermarket rearsets, and then maybe a cat delete/headers, to make room for leaning (with sound as a plus), and then rear shock, and then something else, till I regret I didn't spend the money on something a bit more sportier..  :187: :084:

Maybe a '20 Ninja 1000.. ?

Online Otown

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Ottawa
Reply #117 on: November 16, 2019, 07:50:26 PM
I ordered a set of Pirelli Angel's but went with the sport touring instead of the gt. I figured that realistically am riding 75% of the time on city streets commuting and I'd be better off getting  a few extra km's out of the tires. I do like to ride the bike hard when I can, but I've never been to a track and I don't think I ever reached the limits of the Dunlops so I'm sure these will be able to handle whatever I am capable of throwing at it.

Online Killer_01

• Z900RS Member
Reply #118 on: November 29, 2019, 08:57:11 AM
First of all, lowering the pressure on the oem tyres did help a bit, but they were very worn already so last tuesday I switched both of them with some Bridgestone S22, and boy, how much better!! Night and day diference, dry and wet, better confidence inspiring, more stable and so much more grip!! Those who believe the oem tyres have good grip should try anything else first, even if you feel oem are enough for your riding style, try something else, I bet you wont regret knowing how much better road tyres exists. I'm a cheap guy on most things, but I really don't save on tyres and helmets, they always pay the extra bucks by themselves along the way.