Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Z900RS OEM Tyres  (Read 28721 times)

Offline Maxacceleration

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: '19 Cafe RR
  • Town / City: Central Wa
Re: Z900RS OEM Tyres
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2019, 05:31:16 AM »
Thanks Cali.
I am also looking at the Pirelli Phantoms. A bit spendy but a classic tread tire that apparently has good reviews. I had the original versions on a Suzook back in the 80's. Pirelli brought them back modernized.
Old is new again

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold CA.
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2019, 05:45:15 AM »

Online TallyRex

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 900 Root Beer, V1K
  • Town / City: Tallahassee
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2019, 11:11:51 AM »
I am also a big fan of the PR series.  Used PR2s for many years and now have 5s on my RS.  There was one time during a sudden downpour that I was forced to make a quick stop, and I kept squeezing the front brakes harder and harder, just waiting  for the tire to skid, but it never did.  They are incredible in the rain.

Offline JohnG

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Bike: Z900RSSE
  • Town / City: Milton
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2019, 12:51:30 PM »
Good morning all from Canada.
Thought I would add my 10 cents worth to this conversation. Took delivery of my Z900RS in June 2018 and from the very first day, I had doubts and a lack of confidence in the OEM Dunlops.
I found this forum and was doing my homework on replacement tire suggestions with the intent of changing out the tires at 8000Kms. At just over 6000Kms, I picked up a nail in the rear and not wanting to plug repair it, I decided to change out the tires at that stage.
I choose to put on a set of Michelin Road 5's  :047: All I can say is had I known the difference these tires would make to the handling and performance of the bike, I would have replaced the original tires at 150Kms. NIGHT & DAY improvement. Gone are the tar line wobbles. Gone is the feeling that the rear wants to step out under duress. It honestly feels like the bike can be thrown around much easier and with total confidence. I haven't compared the profiles of the OEMS and the Michelins, but the new Road 5's appear to allow the bike to move back and forward from left to right with much more ease at any speed and any type of corner.
In the wet (limited exposure so far) they again inspired a lot more confidence than the OEMs. More banking angle, more speed.
And this week, with temperatures soaring ( 30-36 Degrees C), I managed to get in 350Kms+. The tires again performed exceptionally. No heat degradation, no squirming and again just a total increase in rider confidence.

Maybe the OEMs issues were batch related, maybe its a combination of rider style/climate/road temps that cause such a variance in opinions, I don't know. But all I can say is my Z900 is handling the way I always hoped it would with the addition of these Road 5's.

Safe riding guys!

Offline Maxacceleration

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: '19 Cafe RR
  • Town / City: Central Wa
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2019, 03:59:45 PM »
My response was about researching for replacement tires, which I will study up more on.
As far as the OEM's go, they are serving me well. Taking them down to virtually the very edge pretty confidently. I've had a couple of slips in corners, although I attribute that to sand or gravel in the corners. So many corners have debris in them. I am looking for a marked improvement when I do replace my tires - not sure if that will be late 2019 or early 2020.

On a side note, I never put trust in cornering hard on the 'tar snakes'. I have had several close calls when the squishy tar (in hot weather) lets your tires squirm badly, as in losing the front wheel. I can understand sealing cracks in the road, but it is a danger to motorcycles.
Old is new again

Offline Contrasens

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawa Z900rs
  • Town / City: Leonberg
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2019, 04:00:23 PM »
A quite recent tyre test here. Unfortunately in German (use Google Translate), but I trust them, they are quite good:
https://www.motorradonline.de/zubehoer/tourenreifen-test-120-70-zr-17-und-180-55-zr-17-naessetest-verschleiss-und-landstrasse/

Offline Dirty Dave

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Montreal
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2019, 05:09:17 PM »
Revzilla gives the Road 5 rave revues.

So much emphasis is on wet weather handling though. I try to avoid the rain when possible.
Unavoidable really.

Dunlop Roadsmart 3 is my other current pick. Gotta wear out those stock tires first......
18 Z900RS Jaffa
97 Honda Valkyrie
79 Honda GoldWing

Online TallyRex

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 900 Root Beer, V1K
  • Town / City: Tallahassee
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2019, 09:39:35 PM »
Most of the current sport touting ties are very good.  I stick with Michelin because I have confidence in them and they are the easiest tire for my buddy to install.

BTW- when you change your tires, don't forget to install angled tire valves.  Soooo much easier to fit the chuck on when checking pressure

Offline german.stallion

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2019, 01:48:12 PM »
I had Michelin Road 5 (and PR3 before that) on my old MT-07 and they performed great and lasted around 13k km back and 15k km front (8k miles and 9.3k miles).

Different bike different story though so I am not sure yet.

Offline Chris

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawasaki Z900rs
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2019, 08:42:31 PM »
Just had the bike serviced and new Michelin road 5 fitted. Got a flyer from the guy at the service desk which says Michelin are currently giving £30 back when you buy a set of tyres. Looking forward to scrubbing them in and seeing how they feel.
Current toys in the box are Kwak Z900rs, Ducati 1098S, BMW R1250 gs rally HP.