Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Heavier bar-ends  (Read 468 times)

Offline Contrasens

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawa Z900rs
  • Town / City: Leonberg
Heavier bar-ends
on: January 13, 2020, 09:16:46 AM
I get numb hands after about 1 hour of riding, so I was thinking to replace the bar-ends with something heavier. Does anyone replace them? Any recommendations?

Also, does anyone know how much the bar-ends weigh?

Online mfairplay

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Cape Cod, Mass.
Re: Heavier bar-ends
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:53:16 PM
I've used aftermarket bar ends on some bikes but to be honest, I don't think they did much to negate vibration. My purpose in buying them was mainly for cosmetics.  I've read some riders fill the handlebars with sand or buckshot but I don't know how well that works. You might also consider changing the grips and trying a different pair of gloves...
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by the Man!" Peter Fonda as Heavenly Blues in "The Wild Angels"

Offline Larry

• Z900RS Pro
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 12:46:59 AM
Have not used these myself but have seen various good reports over the years on other bike sites, seems cheap and easy enough to try anyway...https://www.grip-puppy.com/

Offline Contrasens

• Z900RS Pro
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 06:06:57 AM
Hehe, I have them since 1 year or so. They help, but not solve the problem...

Offline CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold CA.
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 07:02:41 AM
*Originally Posted by Contrasens [+]
I get numb hands after about 1 hour of riding, so I was thinking to replace the bar-ends with something heavier. Does anyone replace them? Any recommendations?

Also, does anyone know how much the bar-ends weigh?

You may have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, CTS.  Have a nerve conduction test done to see how well the nerves are entering your hand. Tingling and numbness everywhere but the little finger?

Offline Contrasens

• Z900RS Pro
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 07:44:35 AM
No. Numbness in ring finger and little finger only, both hands. Tried different pair of gloves, and I am very careful with the handlebar - I barely touch it, am am not leaning on it or grab it. Tried also on other bikes  - no problems.
Anyway, when touching the bar ends lightly (pointer fingers for instance) during riding, the vibration is definitely there.

Will buy heavier weights, already found something at 240 - 260gr. each and see what happens. Unfortunately is still winter here, even though no snow and temperatures sometimes that make me think that riding could be an option all year long (Germany!).

Offline Andyb1962

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Jaffa
  • Town / City: Rotherham
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 08:16:40 AM
I have Reynaurds which causes tingling in finger ends and numbness . Caused by riding bikes fir many years and BP . Heated grips help

Offline Ove

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: East of England
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 10:42:03 PM
One of the tricks on the Royal Enfield singles is to bolt a cross brace onto the handlebar.  Like on scramblers. Hitchcocks  in the UK sell them and Ebay do a variety of adjustable versions. It does work. They're fairly cheap, and pretty invisible, might be worth a go?

Offline m1shooter

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Plant City, Florida
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 03:42:56 PM
I have fairly substantial nerve damage in my arms (Cubital tunnel syndrome.) I too have been fighting this on my Z. It is mostly do to rider position/ergonomics. Bringing the seat down (ergo seat) and the bars up (Z1000 bars) have helped a lot as it takes some of the weight off of my hands. The foam over-grips help too. My next step will be to lower the back of the  bike, to take even more weight off my hands.

Oddly, my old ZR7 didn't give me any issues, even though it looked like the angle was worse.