Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Suspension Sage Measuring Tool  (Read 1025 times)

Offline silverjoe

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: Alberta
Suspension Sage Measuring Tool
on: January 13, 2020, 01:26:26 AM
https://motool.co/products/slacker-digital-suspension-tuner-v3
Sage measuring tool with remote digital read out looks interesting.

Offline Killer_01

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Café
  • Town / City: Lisbon
Re: Suspension Sage Measuring Tool
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 08:37:27 AM
This is an amazing tool, if you have a shop, or if you are always dealing with you sag, for us normal riders, even the ones owning more than one bike, a ruler tape is more than fine, and it's always an excuse to call a friend home and have a good time around the bike (even if you spend some money  on beer to pay the friends work, you would still have margin to adjust several times and for each time you would have the extra fun involved).
Happy Zed Café commuter..

Offline Evangelos K

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 10:47:41 PM
I got one last week.  Just played with it, have not used it yet to set anything with this moody wet weather. It is very convenient, quick, and looks like  it will work great.  Not sure it will help measuring sage though.  I use teaspoons for that  :008:
Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 10:50:06 PM by Evangelos K
2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
2017 Honda CBR1000RR ABS
2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Offline silverjoe

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 07:30:29 AM
Ya got me, must of been the shots I took to the head during my amateur boxing career.

Offline TexasJock

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Dallas, TX
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 12:34:55 AM
I use one of these and find it a fantastic tool. Makes setting preload without help easy. Just pop the front in a wheel chock and off you go. Talking about preload on the RS I was really surprised how little preload was dialed into the rear as delivered. On mine there was 28 mm free sag, add me into the equation and we were at 58. Reducing the free sag down to 10mm gets right at the 40 mm Mark. If anyone heavy rides this bike with the stock setting will be blowing right though the stroke and probably run into clearance issues. At 190lb I could probably go up to the next spring weight and wind out a bit of preload but it’s not bad as it is. Just thought I would share my findings. Bye the way the front as stock has 20 mm feee sag and 12 more when I sit my arse on it. So I did not make any adjustments.

Offline silverjoe

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 02:35:02 AM
Thanks for commenting on the use of the suspension sag tool. I am thinking of getting one.
The suspension sag setting you arrived at are very close to what I did as well, although I added a bit of front spring preload. I weigh 200 with gear.

Offline TexasJock

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Dallas, TX
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 03:19:35 AM
Good to know someone got similar results to me. A lot of over complication in some of the discussions on this subject. If I was to really simplify I would say:

Set the rear preload to a free sag of around 10 mm
Sit on the bike and if the total sag is more than 40mm change spring to next next weight
If total sag is less than 30mm change to next lower spring rate
If between 30mm and 40mm go ride the bike and enjoy.

Just my opinion.