Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !



Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Changing to fully synthetic oil appears to have fixed my gearbox problem.  (Read 4430 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ozdriver

  • Z900RS Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 252
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Melbourne
  • Country: au
On another thread some time ago, I said that my bike would jump back into 4th after really winding it on in 5th. It would only happen on a trackday, never on the road. It didnít matter how carefully I shifted to 5th, it would jump back into 4th and at around 7000 rpm or so, and that wasnít good. I got around it by short shifting in 5th and going straight to 6th, which meant losing a lot of speed.
Anyway, I was using Motul 5100 oil at the time. Prior to a trackday the other week, I changed to fully synthetic Motul 7100. The gear change problem seems to have completely disappeared. Take that how you will. Maybe the synthetic  oil handles the heat better, after all, everything runs a lot hotter at a trackday including tyres.

By the way, these trackdays at Phillip Island arenít just for full-on sport bikes, you can take any road bike and ride in the appropriate group. Itís just a means of going fast without worrying about cops or other vehicles.

Offline Evangelos K

  • Z900RS Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 272
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
  • Country: us
I swear by 7100.  My Z only has a litter of it in it currently, mixed with Castrol semi sync, and Castrol full sync (you Can absolutely mix brands, just saying) .  My other 3 have full 7100 and it is a night and day difference. 
I had about 4 instances at the track, at least you went back to downshifting, mine went in limbo (false neutral) and felt like the chain was about to fly off. Oh well, it will get full 7100 next change, but for sure it wonít get more track time.  Not the right bike for it, and I have 2 more up to the task.
2018 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx
2017 Honda CBR1000RR ABS
2013 Triumph Street Triple R (sold, July 20íí :(]

Offline eccles

  • Z900RS Member
  • **
  • Posts: 41
  • Bike: z900rs
  • Town / City: worcester
  • Country: gb
my dealer has told me that fully synthetic oil should not be used before 10,000 miles and that is Kawasaki policy

Offline Ozdriver

  • Z900RS Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 252
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Melbourne
  • Country: au
*Originally Posted by eccles [+]
my dealer has told me that fully synthetic oil should not be used before 10,000 miles and that is Kawasaki policy
Oh well thatís ok then, because thatís exactly when I changed mine,

Online Oop North John

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • *
  • Posts: 412
  • Town / City: NE Scotland
  • Country: gb
*Originally Posted by Ozdriver [+]
Oh well thatís ok then, because thatís exactly when I changed mine,

I wonder what magic happens as the clock ticks past 9 999.99 miles that suddenly makes synthetic ok?

Offline Evangelos K

  • Z900RS Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 272
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
  • Country: us
*Originally Posted by eccles [+]
my dealer has told me that fully synthetic oil should not be used before 10,000 miles and that is Kawasaki policy

LOL!
2018 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx
2017 Honda CBR1000RR ABS
2013 Triumph Street Triple R (sold, July 20íí :(]

Online Hillie

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • *
  • Posts: 828
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
  • Country: us
That dealer is an idiot. And another reason, together with $120/hour rates and always charging book prices, not actual hours, why people don't use them for regular service anymore.

Offline Notsoaverageguy

  • Forum Supporter
    and Approved Vendor
  • Z900RS Master
  • *
  • Posts: 556
  • Bike: Cafe 900
  • Town / City: Sandiego
  • Country: us
 :169: :211:  :028: old school thinking, :151:
Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler!
(Albert Einstein)

Offline silverjoe

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Pro
  • *
  • Posts: 357
  • Bike: Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: Alberta
  • Country: ca
*Originally Posted by Ozdriver [+]
On another thread some time ago, I said that my bike would jump back into 4th after really winding it on in 5th. It would only happen on a trackday, never on the road. It didnít matter how carefully I shifted to 5th, it would jump back into 4th and at around 7000 rpm or so, and that wasnít good. I got around it by short shifting in 5th and going straight to 6th, which meant losing a lot of speed.
Anyway, I was using Motul 5100 oil at the time. Prior to a trackday the other week, I changed to fully synthetic Motul 7100. The gear change problem seems to have completely disappeared. Take that how you will. Maybe the synthetic  oil handles the heat better, after all, everything runs a lot hotter at a trackday including tyres.

By the way, these trackdays at Phillip Island arenít just for full-on sport bikes, you can take any road bike and ride in the appropriate group. Itís just a means of going fast without worrying about cops or other vehicles.
The jumping back to fourth does sound weird, usually under acceleration if they are gong to disengauge it would go to a neutral. On some bikes the engaugement coggs on the gear are cut at a negative angle to hold the gear in under power. I have seen bikes jump out of gear under acceleration and that was because they were straight cut and got rounded so not enough area to hold them in but that was years ago when I worked in a Suzuki and then a Yamaha shop.

Online Phil

  • Z900RS Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 213
  • Bike: z900RS / Z125 Pro
  • Country: au
Funny, my dealer (a good mate) put fully synthetic oil in mine at the first service. I have 20k on it now with no issues.

I had never bothered with fully synthetic oil on any previous bikes, always semi syn. I now use full in both bikes (especially now that my z125 pro is bored and stroked with a race head)

I am a convert, fully syn all the way.
Phil
18 Z900RS Jaffa
17 Z125 Pro KRT

ZRXOA 8225 (Once a ZRX owner, always a ZRX owner)