Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Help in connecting (TomTom) gps to battery  (Read 531 times)

Offline hansvdc

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Oudenaarde
Help in connecting (TomTom) gps to battery
on: December 02, 2019, 07:50:56 AM
First....I have 0 knowledge of electronics, so consider me an ubernoob :) Anyway, got myself a TomTom Rider 500/550 gps for my Z900RS, mounted it nicely on my handlebar with the included mount but now I need to provide power for the dock. This comes with a small cable with 2 wires (+ and -).

Now how do I connect this to the battery/wiring? Keep in mind I have zero knowledge about this stuff so don't want to mess things up, but on the other hand my dealer charges 100 euro for the installation which seems kinda excessive to me :/ So would like to do this myself. I took the seat off, and there are a lot of wires and stuff under there, no idea what to do now. As far as I can tell, there does not seem to be any 'standard' port or exposed wires to connect this to. I also suppose connecting this straight to the battery is a bad idea due to the gps drawing power when bike is not powered on.

There a little "cigarette plug" to charge devices under the seat, which should be ok for this, but the TomTom comes with the two wires I need to connect. I do have some USB-connector for a cigarette plug but that's not what I need, the gps needs to be charged with the docking/battery cable.

Thx for the help. If there's some sort of guide, I'll need pics to go with it.
Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 07:54:00 AM by hansvdc

Online halbie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Portland
Re: Help in connecting (TomTom) gps to battery
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 05:04:34 PM
I answered this in your previous post about mounting the TomTom, but here is a photo showing the spliced wires of the TomTom and the now-removed cigarette adapter (the blue butt connectors are the splice). I pulled the cigarette adapter and its bracket altogether. I cut the wires going into the cigarette adapter (keeping the main oem black plastic connectors). Then I spliced the wires and ran them up through the frame up to the handlebar.

I intend to clean this connection up this winter, but it works great as-is. My plan to clean it up is to eliminate the splice by installing the TomTom wires into the black oem connector or in an aftermarket connector.

Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 05:06:54 PM by halbie

Offline Ove

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: East of England
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 07:31:56 PM
That's a neat job. My Tom Tom also came with a cigarette lighter plug, so I just ran the cables beside the tank and connected it there

Offline hansvdc

• Z900RS Member
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 07:43:27 PM
Strange, mind does not (Rider500). Only a cable with red/black to connect to the battery, and a USB cable which I don't use (want to charge the gps while it's connected to the dock, which is its purpose too of course).

Offline Double-O-Zombie

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Zonhoven
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 12:07:30 PM
I think the solution proposed by halbie is the way to go here. The 12V connector can be easily removed (you have to cut the cables though) and if you connect the wires (be careful with the polarity), you will also be sure the Tomtom is connected to a switched circuit. If you would connect the Tomtom to your battery directly, it will charge permanently, even when the bike is switched off, and you'd drain your battery. When plugging into the 12V connector, you run the risk that it will disconnect because of vibrations when the engine is running.

100 euros indeed is expensive, doing it yourself will cost you less than 1 euro and gives tons of satisfaction when succesfully done  :018:

Offline hansvdc

• Z900RS Member
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 12:09:22 PM
Since I'm not comfortable cutting wires, I ordered this.  https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B002BWSQO2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Should allow me to connect both wires to this plug and then put it into the cigarette accessory.

Online Hillie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Camas
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 02:15:55 PM
Removing the 12v cigarette lighter socket under the seat does not require cutting cables. There's a little connector, so you can remove and later reconnect it without any modification.

Online halbie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Portland
Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 03:35:15 PM
*Originally Posted by Hillie [+]
Removing the 12v cigarette lighter socket under the seat does not require cutting cables. There's a little connector, so you can remove and later reconnect it without any modification.

True, but if you want to run the TomTom on the cigarette line, the only other options are tapping into the cigarette wires, attaching a cigarette male adapter to the TomTom (apparently OPís solution, but it keeps the cigarette adapter in the bike, which I did not want), or attaching a new, matching connector to the TomTom wires so that it plugs directly into the oem connector thatí remains after removing the cigarette adapter (what I may do eventually).

I donít know a ton about electrics, but I donít think cutting these wires is a big deal.
Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 03:40:41 PM by halbie

Offline Double-O-Zombie

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Zonhoven
Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 10:55:00 AM
*Originally Posted by Hillie [+]
That was my idea as well initially, but after 1 hour of unsuccessful fiddling, I just cut the  :172: wires

Offline hansvdc

• Z900RS Member
Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 06:59:41 PM
Well, received the plug I mentioned, connected the + and - to it, and put it in the cigarette-accessory under the seat. Works! Gps turns on when powering on the bike, turns off when I turn off the contact of the bike. Kinda squished the cable behind the greyish side panel and then under the tank to the front. So this is the only thing that worries me a bit of the wire won't be too lose and won't touch anything hot under there but cannot find any info on how to remove that side panel right above the grey one (left side of bike). All in all, quite happy I made it this far :)