Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: DIY snatchy Throttle cure?  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Ivan

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Greenville, SC
Re: DIY snatchy Throttle cure?
Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 04:15:51 PM
All bikes are the same in this regard and you are 100% entitled to your opinion.

I won't do these tests again because it's redundant, and a waste of time to show the exact same results on another bike.... They all do it.  :002:

Offline Notsoaverageguy

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Cafe 900
  • Town / City: Sandiego
Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 04:19:50 PM
Seriously your bike backfires like that. I am not trying to be combative. I really want to know for myself. Part of learning. I honestly am not trying to have a pissing match. I respect all who try to help as you do.
Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler!
(Albert Einstein)

Offline Ivan

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Greenville, SC
Reply #22 on: November 22, 2019, 04:28:19 PM
This bike does it too with a full exhaust... if you go repeatedly on/off just like the videos.

No pissing match... you just want to see it for yourself... go ride your bike and do what I'm doing in the video and you'll see that it does the same thing.
You're turning the engine on and off with the throttle.

An engine needs 3 things to run.

Air
Fuel
Spark at the right time

Remove any one of these and the engine isn't running.

Offline H1ELRZRXZ900RS

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Bellflower
Reply #23 on: November 27, 2019, 11:28:10 PM
I checked the throttle position sensor and it looks like I would have to take off the top starboard motor mount plate to access it. Something I don't think I'll try without a factory manual ($91.00 ouch).

I think the problem is sort of like the clutch on my Scion XB...it has about 1/2" of movement between fully disengaged and fully engaged. I stalled it plenty until my left foot talked to my right foot and adapted. Same thing with my right hand and my left. I'm sure that I'll still get caught once in a while but coordination and some conscientious throttle control and it will work itself out.

Sure do love this thing!!!

Offline flynbulldog

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: lotobikes
  • Town / City: Greensboro NC
Reply #24 on: December 03, 2019, 09:45:53 PM
*Originally Posted by H1ELRZRXZ900RS [+]

I think the problem is sort of like the clutch on my Scion XB...it has about 1/2" of movement between fully disengaged and fully engaged. I stalled it plenty until my left foot talked to my right foot and adapted. Same thing with my right hand and my left. I'm sure that I'll still get caught once in a while but coordination and some conscientious throttle control and it will work itself out.

Sure do love this thing!!!

This answer is just not good enough for me. There are too many really great bikes out there to waste my riding time trying to concentrate on a bike that is difficult to enjoy. When I stop thinking about the bike and start enjoying the ride I know its right. and if this bike wont allow that then its just not something I'll suffer.

Ivan's tune has made the bike a whole lot better for me. This week I'm going to do a new map with his airbox mod and see where that goes. but for now the bike has changed enough with Ivan's help that it is finally really enjoyable to ride. I'll let you know if the new mods help even more.

Offline Mark Kazman

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Bike: Black Z900rs
  • Town / City: Toronto
Reply #25 on: February 14, 2020, 08:22:29 PM
*Originally Posted by Oop North John [+]
Would a throttle tamer replicate the eccentric pulley? One like this: https://www.g2ergo.com/shop/g2-street-tamer-throttle-tube-kawasaki/

And do you think it would have any beneficial effect, apart from a possible placebo one?

The purpose of the throttle tamer is to dampen the snatchiness in first gear for the few millimeters of twisting the throttle - from idle to initial movement.  Will not have an affect for the rest of range.  It's good for having some give within the friction zone, for say, slow manoeuvres.

Offline silverjoe

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: Alberta
Reply #26 on: February 14, 2020, 11:44:08 PM
*Originally Posted by Notsoaverageguy [+]
Yeah so I watched the videos IMHO doesnít match what I am talking about. 1st thatís not our bike and 2 I donít know what other modifications are on that bike. My bike NEVER backfires like that. It looks to me to be a lean misfire which most assuredly can come from shutting fuel down, but is usually preceded by a lean mixture to begin with. AGAIN  I am not saying that a reflash is bad or wrong for that matter. Simple a band aid for something else. I would love to see that same test done with our stock bikes. With that said all I am offering is a possibility to those who want to tinker. And I am sorry if all the explanation is over someoneís head. It might be best for them to reflash if they didnít understand what was said.
Just saying
Do you have a stock exhaust

Offline silverjoe

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: Alberta
Reply #27 on: February 15, 2020, 05:04:50 AM
*Originally Posted by Dirty Dave [+]
I just have to say how much I appreciate Ivan's input to this group.

:047:
:0461: It is refreshing to have someone with Ivan's knowledge and experience rather than opinions

Offline flynbulldog

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: lotobikes
  • Town / City: Greensboro NC
Reply #28 on: February 15, 2020, 01:45:30 PM
*Originally Posted by silverjoe [+]
:0461: It is refreshing to have someone with Ivan's knowledge and experience rather than opinions

I agree, Ivan has many years of experience and gained knowledge, as hes been a known performance tuner of  Japanese fours with a solid reputation. I guess that's why I bought his tune after I bought another tune that didn't fully do the job for me. This thread is about a DIY cure, and I say its any easy DIY: pull your ECU, send it to Ivan, and re-install it yourself when it gets back in a day or so. Instant DIY throttle cure!  :082:

Seriously though, this is the quickest and easiest way to do the job right and make your bike run it's best, The cost is really pretty reasonable (especially compared to my Ducatis!) and you are done screwin around...  it's a no-brainer to me.

Guys I have no affiliation with Ivan and I have no reason to post this other than to help other Z900 owners, I'm just a happy customer that believes his tune is the best available.
Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:49:21 PM by flynbulldog

Offline Danno

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Fort Wayne
Reply #29 on: February 15, 2020, 03:53:22 PM
Sent my ECU to Ivan last Monday....from UPS store in northeast Indiana, at 6PM, to his South Carolina location. He called me to say it had been programmed and on its way back on Wednesday.  I had it back and in the Z before 2PM on Friday.  That timing certainly surpassed my expectations. Firing up the Z bought a more reasonable fast idle and smooth warm up.  If ride ability, once the snow/ice/cold is gone, is as good as the time service, I will remain one happy camper. 
2018 Z900RS  - 2019 BMW F850GSA