Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: DIY snatchy Throttle cure?  (Read 14485 times)

Offline treybrad

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Austin TX
Re: DIY snatchy Throttle cure?
Reply #40 on: December 28, 2020, 03:24:07 PM
*Originally Posted by awaK [+]
Here is how I proceeded and how I set the TPS to its new setting. I followed the guidance of Friedel and made the same tool with a TT25 bit and a wrench for loosening the TPS fixation screw. I also used Kawasaki special cable"Throttle Sensor Setting Adapter: 57001-1538" to readout the value of my TPS and then set it to its new value. I recommend highly this relatively cheep adapter, it makes things easy. I also followed the recommendation of the workshop manual for the TPS setting value.
The whole procedure (loosing the TPS fixation screw, moving slightly the TPS sensor -definitively only about 1 if not less) and re-tightening the TPS fixation screw is definitively noting for the faint hearted or for any with the gross motor skills. The room for the tool is quite limited and the slightest movement of the TPS sensor affects its value. Re-tightening the TPS sensor also slightly changed its value, so that I needed a few try and error until I got the desired value set.

Has anyone else other than Friedel and awaK attempted to adjust their TPS sensor? TPS adjustment was a common tweak on the 2nd gen SV650 back when I was riding one, and I remember it made a big difference. My RS isn't bad, but it could be better. $20 for the adapter and a little time seems like it's worth messing with, I'm surprised it took me so long to stumble onto this thread...

I'm sure a flash would help, but getting the bike as good as it can be stock should only make the flash that much smoother if I do decide to flash it down the road. If anyone else has attempted this and has tips, tricks, or things to avoid I'm all ears before I dig into it.

Offline awaK

• Z900RS Junior Member
Reply #41 on: December 31, 2020, 09:16:57 AM
Seems that there is not a lot of other riders who did the adjustment of the TPS...  :187. Just a feedback from myself. I have now 24'000 km on the clock. 8'000 km since I did the TPS adjustment. For me it was a full success and still is. I like the way the bike reacts. The transition from closing the throttle (with strong braking of the bike resulting from fuel cut off) to slowly reopening the throttle is now smooth as it should have been from the beginning. I can only encourage you to try the adjustment. I even appreciate the motor braking as I does not anymore jerk at reopening the throttle. If you want to do it, just follow the description in posts above and set the TPS value to the HIGHEST value of the range as stated in the manual.

Offline treybrad

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Austin TX
Reply #42 on: December 31, 2020, 03:03:11 PM
Thanks awaK, it's definitely on my list to mess with this winter. Worst case I'm out $20 for the adapter, best case it smooths things out enough that I don't want to bother with a $300 ECU flash.

Offline Notsoaverageguy

• Forum Supporter
    and Approved Vendor
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Cafe 900
  • Town / City: Sandiego
Reply #43 on: December 31, 2020, 04:25:27 PM
*Originally Posted by treybrad [+]
Thanks awaK, it's definitely on my list to mess with this winter. Worst case I'm out $20 for the adapter, best case it smooths things out enough that I don't want to bother with a $300 ECU flash.

I do it for 250$ plus shipping. I originated this thread, and can tell you now from experience that it IS the fuel cut off that makes the biggest difference. However that being said tps adjustment on any FI engine is not a waste of time.
Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler!
(Albert Einstein)

Offline Shau70

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Bike: Z900rs
  • Town / City: Taunton somerset
Reply #44 on: January 01, 2021, 09:59:37 AM
There are a few ideas on this issue, However i had my ecu remapped and this has solved the snatchy throttle. Not a cheap option but it allows the engine to run how it should, with the right fuel and air mixture. My bike runs smoothly in all gears, its like a different bike. :002:

Offline Gowerclub

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2019 cafe
  • Town / City: Porlock
Reply #45 on: January 01, 2021, 12:07:50 PM
Interesting to read Shau70 - my RS is fine out of the box - its my brand new bonnie thats crap!!! I'm over at Porlock...
Don' t die wondering

2020 Triumph Bonneville T100
2011 Triumph Street Triple
2013 Triumph Tiger 800

Offline Nobby

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900rs
  • Town / City: Haute Loire
Reply #46 on: January 01, 2021, 12:28:42 PM
*Originally Posted by Gowerclub [+]
Interesting to read Shau70 - my RS is fine out of the box - its my brand new bonnie thats crap!!! I'm over at Porlock...

Sounds familiar, the Z is a little bit snatchy but not enough to bother me, I had a Bonnie T120 before which was a lot worse

Offline Rigsey

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Welwyn Garden City
Reply #47 on: January 01, 2021, 10:55:40 PM
This is an interesting one as my RS is also fine as standard, I like the engine braking too, if you want to experience snatchy throttles try one of the latest batch of 1000cc sports bikes, my GSXR can be interesting especially around 4500, all to do with Euro 5 regs apparently.

Rigsey