Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Cables left side under the seat  (Read 1142 times)

Offline OKZ

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Multiple bikes
  • Town / City: Edmond, OK
Re: Cables left side under the seat
Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 12:41:39 PM
*Originally Posted by mfairplay [+]
You don't understand the purpose of grounding? I don't know if it will help you, but I could post a scan of the wiring diagram so you can see the grounding on the RS (there are multiple points; and not a central point).

I've owned several Kawasakis, Suzukis, Yamahas, Hondas and Aprilias. I've never paid much attention but I know at least a  few bikes had multiple grounding points (for example, the starter, engine and/or battery but also could be switches, lights and anything that draws power).

I definitely understand the j"purpose" of grounding, no sense in being condescending.  My questions is why the pigtails why multiple ones at one location, it's very different than anything i have seen before and my question is legit, i really would like to no why all the pigtails in one spot?
Technology: Man's ability to make simple things complicated.
2018 Z900RS - Hooligan bike
2019 BMW R1250GS - for travel and exploring

Offline mfairplay

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Cape Cod, Mass.
Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 01:46:15 PM
*Originally Posted by OKZ [+]
I definitely understand the j"purpose" of grounding, no sense in being condescending.  My questions is why the pigtails why multiple ones at one location, it's very different than anything i have seen before and my question is legit, i really would like to no why all the pigtails in one spot?

Wasn't trying to be condescending but you're far from clear about what you want to know. First, you wanted to know their purpose. Now you say you want to know why these grounds are in the same area. And this is after saying all the bikes you've seen had wiring grounded to a central spot.  I don't know why Kawasaki did what they did and I regret trying to help.
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by the Man!" Peter Fonda as Heavenly Blues in "The Wild Angels"

Offline TwoSerious

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Elk Grove
Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 03:26:46 PM
The question is why are they all pigtailed like that in one spot. One of these days I might meter this wires and see if they are in  fact grounds.

Offline Motodave

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: NorCal
Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 01:23:04 AM
Count me as another one wondering...I don't have a service manual yet so I don't have a wiring diagram to reference,

My initial assumption was they were accessory wires. I've never seen ground wires like this on any of my bikes. At the risk of sounding dense shouldn't a ground wire be connected to, well ground? Frame or in some way to the negative lead on the battery (direct or through Harness)

Now I'm curious and would love to see a wiring diagram

Online silverjoe

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: Alberta
Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 02:09:05 AM
I have my tank, seat, and air box off right now and i'm finding these type of connectors in more places some around the fuel injectors as well so I think they are to do with  diagnostics. In the picture below you can see the ground below the top frame rail.

Online Hillie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
Reply #15 on: November 22, 2019, 04:07:06 AM
My first thought the first time I took the seat off? "Holy crap, Kawasaki must have gotten a great deal on electrical tape!".

:018:

Offline mfairplay

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Cape Cod, Mass.
Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 09:59:40 AM
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by the Man!" Peter Fonda as Heavenly Blues in "The Wild Angels"

Offline kballowe

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: St Louis, Missouri
Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 04:26:33 PM
*Originally Posted by OKZ [+]
  My questions is why the pigtails why multiple ones at one location, it's very different than anything i have seen before and my question is legit, i really would like to no why all the pigtails in one spot?

Yep, that's a bit weird.  I was thinking the same thing.

The first thing that come to my mind was "hey, what hooks up here ?"

Offline Motodave

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: NorCal
Reply #18 on: November 23, 2019, 01:38:03 AM
*Originally Posted by mfairplay [+]
why these grounds are in the same area........ I don't know why Kawasaki did what they did

Hey thanks for the wiring diagram.

I wonder if there's some miscommunication going on here. The area in red on the diagram with frame grounds (1-5) appears to be the leads that are bolted to the frame, just below the top frame rail in SilverJoes picture, which I think is what most of us picture as a typical ground wire(s). At least I do, won't speak for anybody else.  :002:

What I was curious about ( and I will speak for others  :001:)  were the leads in the same picture by his thumb.

I sent a quick message  to a friend who works on these and he confirmed they are indeed diagnostic leads. I tell you, I really need to get my manual lol. Certainly these leads include ground wires (just going off color codes that i could see on my own bike and cross referencing to the wiring diagram)

Ordering manual this weekend.......