Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Tune Comparison: 2Wheel Dynoworks vs. Ivans  (Read 3237 times)

Offline flynbulldog

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: lotobikes
  • Town / City: Greensboro NC
Re: Tune Comparison: 2Wheel Dynoworks vs. Ivans
Reply #20 on: November 09, 2019, 08:28:00 PM
For you guys that want to eek out every last horsepower without compromising ride-ability I talked with Ivan today and learned that he is working on some airbox mods to go with his tune. I dont know exactly what he's doing just yet but he'll post dyno results on his website when he gets the formula worked out. For me I'm pretty happy with just fixing the throttle issue and not worried about every last HP, but some of you may like what he's doing so I thought I'd let you know that more is coming.

Offline Dirty Dave

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Montreal
Reply #21 on: November 09, 2019, 09:37:43 PM
Brock also offers velocity stacks for supposedly a bit more umph but at $40 something a pair
(you keep 2 you have) I found it steep for rubber.

Don't really wanna know how good Ivan is as my brain is now a coupla thousand miles away
getting a re-flash.   :006:
18 Z900RS Jaffa
97 Honda Valkyrie
79 Honda GoldWing

Offline flynbulldog

• Z900RS Pro
Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 10:56:34 PM
It was a little chili today but I was under a little pressure to get out on the 900RS to get my annual state inspection. Boy am I glad I did. Finally, I'm having such a blast riding the Z, the throttle is so much better and the bike is really strong with instant response, I was almost giddy riding around today and honestly guys that has never been the case on this bike before Ivans tune. The change has been transformative for me. its like a whole new bike, the Z900RS has come alive. I am loving this thing now.   :152:

:305:

So I jumped back on Ivans website after I got home and found some updates. Looks like he has finished his airbox mods and posted the results. The mods straightened out the HP curve at 5000 and bumped the overall HP to 121 at the rear wheel. - Thats impressive. Not sure if I want to do that to my bike or not. I might have to give him a call and get the details. All the gains are way at the top of the RPM range but it doesnt seem like there's anything to loose. anyway If anybody does it post here and let us know how it goes. here's a link  http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/z900rs_airboxmod.htm
and the dyno chart

Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:58:19 PM by flynbulldog

Offline TallyRex

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 900 Root Beer, V1K
  • Town / City: Tallahassee
Reply #23 on: November 20, 2019, 12:23:44 AM
Glad you stayed with it and are finally enjoying your bike   :046:

Offline flynbulldog

• Z900RS Pro
Reply #24 on: November 20, 2019, 12:48:52 AM
*Originally Posted by TallyRex [+]
Glad you stayed with it and are finally enjoying your bike   :046:

Thanks Tally, Me Too. But I'd still like to ride a bike like yours that owners say have good throttle control right from the factory. It would just be interesting to see if all the bikes are the same or if they are varied.

Online Hillie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
Reply #25 on: November 20, 2019, 01:17:18 AM
There's some variation in user experience and probably also between bikes. I didn't experience a problem, but flashing the bike made the throttle smoother/easier for me. Besides all the benefits I was really looking for. But any improvement to any bike that the owner enjoys can only be encouraged and celebrated!

Online Killer_01

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Café
  • Town / City: Lisbon
Reply #26 on: November 20, 2019, 09:34:26 AM
There's some instructions on how to do the airbox mod, this guy is really an awesome person! It's a real shame it doesn't reach overseas. I wonder what would happen if I modded my airbox without the flash..  :187:

Offline Maxacceleration

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: '19 Cafe RR
  • Town / City: Central Wa
Reply #27 on: November 20, 2019, 05:56:51 PM
Glad to hear, flynbulldog, you have found a workable solution to an otherwise fine bike.
We all perceive our bikes slightly different, and they may well be different, from bike to bike (doesn't support an even quality control?)
I jumped onto 2WDW because I was not going to run the stock pipe. I knew that before my purchase. So 600+ miles on my stock pipe/map then into a full system w/map. My bike was always smooth & still is (haven't rode it in a month)...
I have a 2010 Triumph Scrambler... beloved bike, but not such a powerful bike. It has been known for having snatchy fueling (yes an FI bike). At this very point, my Z900RS is smoother the my Scrambler (mapped also) re on/off transition (noticeable or corners). For comparison.
Not trying to minimize your particular issues, but IMO FI bikes can be more touchy on fueling. They can also be very smooth. How well do the mfg's get it??
I have two old 4 cylinder carbed bikes that carburate quite well with out snatch. Although carbs don't alway like the full on 'whacked open' ham fist style.
Point being... Its hard to compare apples to apples, from bike to bike. And everyone's different feel for their bike, and needs. Your bike has appeared to be worse than others...
But... it sounds like you have uncovered a good alternative dyno/mapping shop too.
The good news is, you have found a solution for you and your bike. Win win.  :028: :028: :028: Enjoy your winter and rip it up this spring!
Old is new again

Offline Feelooz

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Kawasaki Z 900 RS
  • Town / City: Orléans
Reply #28 on: November 21, 2019, 05:17:51 PM
Flynbulldog,

I really enjoy that you found the definitive fix to that snatchy throttle who seemed to be worst on your bike than many others, and that for two reasons:
First, I'm sincerely glad for you that you at last enjoy your bike
Second, you are not going to sell it, so you are not going to leave this place, and we'll keep on reading your always interesting posts and your always smart point of view.
Kawasaki Z 900 RS - Suzuki 1200 GSX - Triumph Bonneville T -100 - Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Triumph Speed Triple 955 I - Triumph Sprint ST 955i - Triumph 900 Legend - Yamaha 1200 XJR - Norton 850 Commando MK2 - Kawasaki 1100 Zephyr - Yamaha 750 FZX - Yamaha 1100 XS - Kawasaki 1000 ST - Suzuki 600 DR - Honda CB 750 F2 - Kawasaki Z 650 B1- Triumph Bonneville T120 (1972) - Yamaha 650 XS 1H1 - Honda CB 350 K4 - Jawa 350 Californian - Jawa 250

Offline flynbulldog

• Z900RS Pro
Reply #29 on: November 22, 2019, 12:38:11 PM
*Originally Posted by Feelooz [+]
Flynbulldog,

I really enjoy that you found the definitive fix to that snatchy throttle who seemed to be worst on your bike than many others, and that for two reasons:
First, I'm sincerely glad for you that you at last enjoy your bike
Second, you are not going to sell it, so you are not going to leave this place, and we'll keep on reading your always interesting posts and your always smart point of view.

Wow, Thank you feelooz, I'll try to live up to that  :821: 

Your post got me thinking about how I could contribute more here, I think that if I decide to do the airbox mod and ivans latest flash maybe I should start a DIY thread? Would anybody like to see a "how-to" on the airbox and ECU?