Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: experience with ecu flash vs. dyno tuning?  (Read 453 times)

Online Otown

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Ottawa
experience with ecu flash vs. dyno tuning?
« on: October 09, 2019, 01:31:32 PM »
If this has been discussed a hundred times already I apologize but nothing really came up on my quick search.

I plan on changing my exhaust over the winter and want to get the most out of my bike so I was planning to get the ecu flashed by 2wdw. A buddy of mine told me to check with a speed shop in the area to look at a power commander and dyno tune instead. The guy at the speed shop talked about how a flash is a generic map that doesn't work the same on all bikes since they are all a little bit different and a dyno tune will dial in the bike better. That all makes sense, but the price difference is astronomical. To ship my ecu and pay the conversion (I'm in canada) I would be looking at around $450-$500, to get it dyno tuned and power commander installed I would be looking at $1300-$1400. I guess my question is if anyone has experience with both, how much of a difference does the dyno tune give you above the ecu flash?  I am 99% sure I am going with the ecu flash strictly based on the price difference, but if there is a huge difference perhaps I would save a little longer for the dyno.

Offline Dirty Dave

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Montreal
Re: experience with ecu flash vs. dyno tuning?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 10:53:50 PM »
IMHO yes, all of our bikes can be slightly different but we aren't going for perfection to win
championships at the drag strip. I'm sure the Power Commander is used to dial in the fuel
map, etc put then that info is used to flash the ECU. No huge difference me thinks.

I am fer sure no expert, just what I've learned on the infernal internet.

:034: :034:
18 Z900RS Jaffa
97 Honda Valkyrie
79 Honda GoldWing

Online Otown

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Ottawa
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 01:18:17 AM »
Kind of what I was thinking, no need to shave a couple seconds off a lap time I’ll never be doing anyways.

Offline Killer_01

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Café
  • Town / City: Lisbon
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 08:57:57 AM »
I'm not sure but I believe that with a flash you can deal with some factory stuff, like eliminating the O2 sensor, Air injection system, fuel shut off, KTRC being left in the last position used (like if you prefer it off, it will stay off when you restart the bike), and some restrictions that may come from factory too.
With a Power Commander you'll only be able to compensate where the oem fuel map lacks, but there's a wider band of fuel compensations if I'm not wrong, so, in the end, maybe 1 or 2 more hp, but for me it does not justifies the price over the flash.

Offline IThrowSparks

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Cottage Grove, MN
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 11:50:46 AM »
For me the 2WDW Flash has worked perfectly.
It eliminates the O2 Sensor and AIS.
As soon as I started the bike after install I noticed a difference in idle and sound. (For the better)
The bike runs great and pulls hard through the RPM range.
It runs cooler and isn't herky jerky at low speeds rolling back on the gas.
This flash has been tuned on our model bikes at their shop and adjusted per the end users setup.

I'm not a big fan of piggy back units as I've seen some fail under the worst conditions.
Don't get me wrong some work great, but I like having the option to being able to send the ECU back to 2WDW to have adjustments made for life.
Or even just returning back to the stock MAP.

Just My Opinion.. 
You Don't Have To Know It All..
You Just Need To Know Enough.

Offline Killer_01

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Café
  • Town / City: Lisbon
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 12:23:35 PM »
Yes, I forgot to mention being able to change the temperature which the radiator fan starts, it will run cooler since the fuelling it's more homogeneous, but that will help too when outside temperatures get higher.

If I were on the W2W's range, I wouldn't even consider anything else. Just my 50 cents.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 12:26:35 PM by Killer_01 »

Offline ochmaheed

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Peterhead
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 04:03:48 PM »
Just had my ECU flashed then run on dyno to fine tune it. Guy who did it said it is a far cheaper and better option than a powercomander. As said in other posts other issues can be cured with the flash that the powercommander cant do.
It has made an improvement in the bike and well worth the £400 spent.