Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 1000 miles, major(?] issue...  (Read 6116 times)

Offline m_mcdonnell

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: '18 Candytone RS
  • Town / City: South Carolina
Re: 1000 miles, major(?] issue...
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2019, 10:12:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Evangelos K [+]
The ECU is set to provide the same optimal, as per factory, output, so no matter the freer flow, the ECU will read and adjusts to factory values.

ECU’s are tuned for emissions.  I’d bet they have a very conservative “max fuel” they are allowed to give, based on whatever measurements it can make (air flow, temperature, O2, etc.)

If you have a very free flowing exhaust, the bike (not just yours, but the bike in general) could still be running very lean even with the ECU maxed out on a stock tune.  There would simply be no more “adjustment” left for it to make.

Online m1shooter

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Plant City, Florida
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2019, 10:38:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by m_mcdonnell [+]
ECU’s are tuned for emissions.  I’d bet they have a very conservative “max fuel” they are allowed to give, based on whatever measurements it can make (air flow, temperature, O2, etc.)

If you have a very free flowing exhaust, the bike (not just yours, but the bike in general) could still be running very lean even with the ECU maxed out on a stock tune.  There would simply be no more “adjustment” left for it to make.

You get it. The stock tune is looking for values between X and XX. When you free up flow and reduce concentrations lower than X, the stock tune can't do anything about it because it isn't set that low. This is no different than changing jets in a carb setup to compensate for changes in elevation, air intake, or exhaust. Someone that lives near sea level and a lot of humidity like myself and the OP may not see any issues related opening up the exhaust because of air density whereas someone living in the high mountain desert may find their bike unridable with the same tune and mods.

Online Hillie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2019, 11:51:13 PM »
The ECU is set to provide the same optimal, as per factory, output, so no matter the freer flow, the ECU will read and adjusts to factory values.

Don't believe the hype! :002:

You read optimal and you think performance, but it really means "optimal" for environmental purposes. "Screw that guy who wants to blast along the freeway, we need to save a few drops of gasoline here!"

And hey, if the factory setup was optimal, why did you change the exhaust? ;-)

Online Evangelos K

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2019, 01:22:42 AM »
I don’t know what to tell you.... every body with a full system then should have same issues. On every bike. NO ONE DOES. This is not the cause. .
2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
2017 Honda CBR1000RR ABS
2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Online Evangelos K

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2019, 01:23:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hillie [+]
Don't believe the hype! :002:

You read optimal and you think performance, but it really means "optimal" for environmental purposes. "Screw that guy who wants to blast along the freeway, we need to save a few drops of gasoline here!"

And hey, if the factory setup was optimal, why did you change the exhaust? ;-)

Key words “as per factory” optimal.
2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
2017 Honda CBR1000RR ABS

Online Evangelos K

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2019, 01:27:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by m1shooter [+]
You get it. The stock tune is looking for values between X and XX. When you free up flow and reduce concentrations lower than X, the stock tune can't do anything about it because it isn't set that low. This is no different than changing jets in a carb setup to compensate for changes in elevation, air intake, or exhaust. Someone that lives near sea level and a lot of humidity like myself and the OP may not see any issues related opening up the exhaust because of air density whereas someone living in the high mountain desert may find their bike unridable with the same tune and mods.

To clarify: are you saying you know 1st hand of an example of any bike that with a full header and exhaust setup started having issues because of that?   No way   This is not the case.  Common, everyone who makes  full systems would be out of a job....
2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
2017 Honda CBR1000RR ABS

Online m1shooter

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2019, 01:27:22 AM »
I don’t know what to tell you.... every body with a full system then should have same issues. On every bike. NO ONE DOES. This is not the cause. .

I agree with you that the baffle isn't what is causing the issue with your bike. Where we disagree is the understanding of how a stock tune is able to deal with the variances in data received when changes are made from the stock control sets it expects.

Online m1shooter

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2019, 01:29:28 AM »
To clarify: are you saying you know 1st hand of an example of any bike that with a full header and exhaust setup started having issues because of that?   No way   This is not the case.  Common, everyone who makes  full systems would be out of a job....

Have you read any of the multiple replies I have made where I have written that I agree that the baffle isn't the issue? Let me write it again..... The baffle isn't causing your issues.

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Noblesville
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2019, 02:23:06 AM »
Are you returning the bike to the dealership to have them further fish for the true cause of your problems? 
I am still curious what the actual issue is and if they will ever find it. 
I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.

Online Evangelos K

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2019, 03:17:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by IndyTom [+]
Are you returning the bike to the dealership to have them further fish for the true cause of your problems? 
I am still curious what the actual issue is and if they will ever find it.

Yes, probably Thursday this coming week when I go on vac. Work has me tied up this weekend being duty manager.
2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
2017 Honda CBR1000RR ABS