Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: chain lube  (Read 2667 times)

Online Oop North John

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: NE Scotland
Re: chain lube
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2019, 07:25:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by MexicoMike [+]
However, I have to admit I can't really argue with the people that actually make the chain as far as the best way to care for it...even if I don't do it!

Not many commercial companies tell us how to make things last longer, so they get less money out of us, so two of them telling us effectively the same thing has to be noted And ignored if you want to.

They might of course be making more money from the care products than from the chain / sprockets, in which case  :013:

Offline MexicoMike

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2019, 08:31:02 AM »
Well, it IS in the best interest of manufacturers to ensure that you need to buy a new product from them rather than having the old one last a long time... :112:

So maybe the Tsubaki/DID lubrication instructions actually CAUSE wear so you'll have to buy another chain sooner rather than later.  Wow, that's really cynical, no? :038:

Well, re that, here's my favorite example re advertising that I was directly involved with:
 "High Performance" mufflers that claimed a 13HP increase over stock mufflers on a small block Chevy with accompanying dyno chart that "proved it," 13 more HP by just changing the mufflers!  The mufflers actually produced 7HP LESS than new stock mufflers but they did produce 13HP more than clapped out/clogged stock mufflers. Not surprisingly, the company chose to use the dyno test comparing their muffs with the clapped out stockers while omitting any mention of that. 172:  I did the dyno testing. :164:

MexicoMike
1973 Norton Commando, BMW R9T (Mexico)
2017 BMW R1200RS (Texas, USA)
2019 Z900RS Cafe (UK)

Online Hillie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2019, 02:04:58 AM »
Not using a wire brush makes sense, unless you really don't care about the fact that you're messing up the O-rings.  :002:

Offline MexicoMike

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2019, 07:26:53 AM »
"Not using a wire brush makes sense, unless you really don't care about the fact that you're messing up the O-rings. "

Tsubaki specifically shows a wire brush; DID specifically says NOT to use one.  Both are showing how to lube their own chains. :112:   SO...who is right, either of them? Neither of them?   Are they both right based on the design/components of their own chains?   Are they both wrong  because they are giving instructions that will actually cause more wear so they can sell another chain? :157:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 07:27:55 AM by MexicoMike »
MexicoMike
2019 Z900RS Cafe (UK)

Offline CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold CA.
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2019, 07:35:22 AM »
Are the brushes really wire brushes?  Nylon bristles with a cleaner solution would work quite well and not destroy the O rings.  Not keeping the O rings pliable and not washing out the lubricant they hold is what kills chains.

Offline Travelman

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS / FJR1300
  • Town / City: South Shields
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2019, 09:40:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]
Are the brushes really wire brushes?  Nylon bristles with a cleaner solution would work quite well and not destroy the O rings.  Not keeping the O rings pliable and not washing out the lubricant they hold is what kills chains.

I think your comment is intended to be sarcastic but still it gives me an opportunity!  :002:

ď...not washing out the lubricant..Ē

Iíd have thought thatís exactly what sensible lubing is about, not washing out the lubricant. As far as Iím aware, the problem is that the seals in the rings can dry out from the outside, resulting in eventually the sealed lubricant seeping out, at which point the chain is finished. Lubing, however itís done, both prevents the seals from drying out and helps prevent the ingress of external factors (WD 40 acts as an external factor) such as rain and dust, which can ultimately breakdown the seals. Eventually, of course, stresses take their toll so thereís a limit to just how long even a well maintained chain can last.

Iím not an expert and this is just what Iíve gleaned over the years.

Online Hillie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2019, 02:00:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]
Are the brushes really wire brushes?  Nylon bristles with a cleaner solution would work quite well and not destroy the O rings.

I use nylon brushes too, but a wire brush uses metal wire as bristle material. Works well to get stubborn crud off metal surface, works equally well to eat up rubber bits and pieces... So nylon is preferred there, with decent brush action and no appetite for rubber rings. :002:

Offline rickyb

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Candy z900rs
  • Town / City: Lincoln
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2019, 11:32:54 AM »
Nylon brush for me ; wire-too harsh and then Wurth Dry Chain lube-KTM 990smt had it's first chain at 20k miles-pretty ropey by then though! It just went all of a sudden and started brushing the tyre!!! Sprockets actually looked fine but did the lot just in case!
Suzuki uf50, HondaCG125 ,Triumph Daytona955i, KTM990smt.

Offline MexicoMike

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2019, 01:42:08 PM »
But with folks claiming 30k+ with chains that have never been lubed, 20k with regular lubrication seems to make the point for no lube!  Admittedly, the conditions of use would have to be identical to get any real "science" involved in the discussion.  BUT Frankly, I find the subject to be quite the head-scratcher. :112:

OTOH, I guess I don't find it that much of a head scratcher since I don't really pay much attention to the subject (or the chains) in real life.  :110:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 01:44:36 PM by MexicoMike »
MexicoMike
2019 Z900RS Cafe (UK)

Online Evangelos K

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2019, 03:07:26 PM »
I clean and lube the chain every 2-3 tanks.  It does not take long, keeps the chain looking new.  Will you get more miles maintaining the chain?  I believe you will, but not too many more. What is physics and a fact though, for those never lubing the chain: rust is real, and dry METAL TO METAL friction is real too and never good. My 2 cents.   
2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
2017 Honda CBR1000RR ABS
2013 Triumph Street Triple R