Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Engine protection  (Read 1260 times)

Offline chris!

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Graz
Re: Engine protection
Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 09:01:38 AM
*Originally Posted by kes2463 [+]
I have the Hepco & Becker ones, pleased with them one is.....  :123:

got them as well and I agree  :123:

Offline MexicoMike

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 09:39:21 AM
From my recent experience, I would say that engine protection is less important than tank protection.  When my Cafe was found laying on its side when I walked out to the parking lot, the engine was not touching the ground except for the very bottom of the side cover in an area which is not visible at all if the bike is upright but the tank was dented and the fairing scraped.  Obviously, if the engine protection is "prominent" enough, I guess it would also keep the tank/fairing off the ground.  Actually it was the handlebar hitting the tank that dented it, not the tank itself hitting the ground.  There was enough flex in the handlebar to hit the tank when it fell.
MexicoMike
1973 Norton Commando, BMW R9T (Mexico)
2017 BMW R1200RS (Texas, USA)
2019 Z900RS Cafe (UK)

Offline DirtyHarry

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: East Sussex
Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 01:58:54 PM
*Originally Posted by MexicoMike [+]
From my recent experience, I would say that engine protection is less important than tank protection.  When my Cafe was found laying on its side when I walked out to the parking lot, the engine was not touching the ground except for the very bottom of the side cover in an area which is not visible at all if the bike is upright but the tank was dented and the fairing scraped.  Obviously, if the engine protection is "prominent" enough, I guess it would also keep the tank/fairing off the ground.  Actually it was the handlebar hitting the tank that dented it, not the tank itself hitting the ground.  There was enough flex in the handlebar to hit the tank when it fell.

Fair enough comment Mike, my major concern is coming off at speed which tends to wear stuff down  pretty rapidly as Iím sure youíre aware. Looking at a photo in another post today about a bike going over it appears that those bars protected the tank quite well, although the left case cover does seem to have  a scrape or two on it. Maybe a combination of bars for the main engine and R&G case covers for the lower parts. At the end of the day youíll be lucky to come away with no damage at all, I think itís more damage limitations than anything else and what would be the best compromise without destroying the aesthetics of the bike that Iím looking for.

Online silverjoe

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: Alberta
Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 08:15:20 PM
Sorry I did not see this post earlier, I have an RS not cafe, I am using the National Cycle Plexistar 2 Windshield Fairing - N8332-01 you need to order the mount kit for 1 and 1/8 bars. I  then used some bicycle inner tube on the smaller part of the bar as they are tapered.
I love the wind protection I can ride for many hours in comfort, riding without it on the hwy it not fun at all

Offline RS900SJT

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: San Angelo
Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 02:23:40 PM
*Originally Posted by silverjoe [+]
Sorry I did not see this post earlier, I have an RS not cafe, I am using the National Cycle Plexistar 2 Windshield Fairing - N8332-01 you need to order the mount kit for 1 and 1/8 bars. I  then used some bicycle inner tube on the smaller part of the bar as they are tapered.
I love the wind protection I can ride for many hours in comfort, riding without it on the hwy it not fun at all

Pictures please.