Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Gearbox issues  (Read 3449 times)

Offline sooty

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Jafa-cake
Re: Gearbox issues
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2019, 09:19:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by DirtyHarry [+]
Lowering the gear shift has improved things for me.

Yes Harry you are right...lowering my shifter has solved the false neutral issue.. had a good ride today & for the 1st time i did not have the issue...... :046:

Cheers
Sooty
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 09:20:58 PM by sooty »
it takes a whole Tank of Fuel before you Can see straight

Offline Hillie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2019, 10:22:42 PM »
Great stuff!

Offline Ozdriver

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Melbourne
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2019, 11:30:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Otown [+]
I have had two instances where I was driving in 6th, approximately 5-10 sec after shifting from 5th, and had the tranny drop back to 5th gear. Both times were when I was pushing the bike, anyone else experience this?
Oh yes, thatís happened to me and now Iíve got major concerns with the transmission. It did it first at a track day at Phillip Island, when I came onto the main straight I revved it out in 5th and it dropped into 4th at around 8,000 RPM. No matter how hard I tried, I couldnít get it to stop doing it, so in the end I short shifted 5th and went straight to 6th. Now I find on the road it will go from 6th to 5th sometime if I rev it hard. Iím pretty sure itís damaged the transmission, itís still under warranty but I just donít trust our local dealer to do a major strip down. Not sure what to do. Itís done 16,000 kms in 18 months. I might change to a better Motul oil as others have suggested.
A mechanic said the gears are designed to drag into each other when engaged, and they could be damaged.

Offline Kris

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Richmond
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2019, 12:15:17 PM »
Sounds f#####

Offline Ozdriver

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Melbourne
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2019, 01:17:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kris [+]
Sounds ###
Itís ok when riding normally or even spiritedly, just when youíre riding really hard.
Hereís the original post of the fault:
https://www.z900rs.co.uk/index.php/topic,1745.msg17743.html#msg17743

Offline sooty

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Jafa-cake
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2019, 09:37:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ozdriver [+]
Itís ok when riding normally or even spiritedly, just when youíre riding really hard.
Hereís the original post of the fault:
https://www.z900rs.co.uk/index.php/topic,1745.msg17743.html#msg17743

I don't think There is any gearbox fault at all, it simply the position of the gear shift lever...before I adjusted my lever I was getting false neutrals mainly on the upshift whether riding slow, normal or hard...now I don't have issues with the box at all... :028:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:40:23 PM by sooty »
it takes a whole Tank of Fuel before you Can see straight

Offline seanile

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900 RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Boston
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2019, 02:50:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ozdriver [+]
Oh yes, that’s happened to me and now I’ve got major concerns with the transmission. It did it first at a track day at Phillip Island, when I came onto the main straight I revved it out in 5th and it dropped into 4th at around 8,000 RPM. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t get it to stop doing it, so in the end I short shifted 5th and went straight to 6th. Now I find on the road it will go from 6th to 5th sometime if I rev it hard. I’m pretty sure it’s damaged the transmission, it’s still under warranty but I just don’t trust our local dealer to do a major strip down. Not sure what to do. It’s done 16,000 kms in 18 months. I might change to a better Motul oil as others have suggested.
A mechanic said the gears are designed to drag into each other when engaged, and they could be damaged.
i took mine to a dealer after experiencing the same thing re: 6th to 5th drops, and they said they couldn't recreate it so it's probably rider error, and they added that kawasaki is unlikely to ever warranty transmission issues unless a fuckload of people experience the same thing. given that, im in the process of trading my 2019 w/3800 miles in. i'm not gonna get saddled with a paperweight because kawi won't admit they did wrong when modding the z900's gears for the z900rs.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 03:37:28 PM by seanile »

Offline Notsoaverageguy

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Cafe 900
  • Town / City: Sandiego
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2019, 04:17:08 PM »
Wow popping right out of gear at 8k is serious. All the tranny problems I had on my Cafe were fixed once I realized the shifter is very touchy as far as getting your foot off of it ALL THE WAY after a shift. The most trouble I see is the 2-3 shift. If my foot even touches the lever after a 1-2 shift it just wonít go to 3rd. It is very reliable if I think about the shift and make sure my foot is off the lever before and after the shift. Then there is the 5-6 clunky feel that I am used to now. Overall love my bike.
On another note. I bought a brand new Ninja 750r in 1987. Rode it everyday to work and back. 45miles of 7k 90miles an hour then 45 miles of canyon rode. To say I looked forward to going to work and back home would be an understatement.  :002: Shortly after I had owned it for about a month the bike would hit a false neutral on downshifting. The dealer was next door to the Ford dealer I worked at. So I dropped it off there several times with the same complaint. Long story short, I gave them permission to tear it down and look into it. They could find nothing. Very shortly after that heading into a turn on the canyon, I went to downshift and it went into neutral the bike promptly stood up and I was in the gravel. Wiped out one side of everything, my leathers and helmet.
Kawasaki bought everything with the stipulation that it was a 1 time deal.
My thinking is, if you bring it in a few times same complaint. Then tell them how you once almost had an accident because it happened. There going to at least tear it down for sure. And maybe we can all find out whatís going on inside there.
Just saying   
Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler!
(Albert Einstein)

Offline Scottrt

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Mankato
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2019, 08:44:52 PM »
Like others, I have found that I must completely lift off the shifter between each downshift or it won't grab the next gear. It otherwise shifts very nicely and my bike had 80 demo miles on it before I bought it , so I am thankful

Offline craigADV

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Bike: Ď18 Rootbeer
  • Town / City: Northern Cambria
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2019, 10:44:13 PM »
I preload the shift lever before my shifts and the transmission seems very smooth. I donít use a lot of pressure, just enough to have it click into the gear as soon as I pull the clutch. Shifting up or down it just clicks into gear effortlessly. Havenít hit any false neutrals yet. Got the bike a couple of weeks ago and have put about 1,000 miles on it.