Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Anyone tried this shield?  (Read 372 times)

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold

Offline IThrowSparks

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Cottage Grove, MN
Re: Anyone tried this shield?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 08:16:50 PM »
I had the Kawasaki version on the bike.
All it does is cover the gauges.
No wind protection at all.
Its tiny.
You Don't Have To Know It All..
You Just Need To Know Enough.

Online RetroZ

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900rs
  • Town / City: Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 08:10:42 AM »
It ain't pretty!

Online MexicoMike

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 07:24:17 AM »
My experience with windscreens for normal riding - as opposed to tucked into a racing-type position/fairing - is that they don't work! :435:

Unless we're talking about a dedicated, serious touring bike - Gold Wings, big BMW Tourers, etc, all the usual windscreen does, IMO, is shift the wind blast from a manageable, in your chest area, to a miserable, helmet-buffeting pummeling that has your eyes vibrating after an hour at interstate/motorway speeds.

I have tried multiple windscreens on various bikes - including 4 different ones on my BMW R1200RS - and none of them provided anything useful. I've found that the most important thing is to keep a helmet either in clear air or completely shrouded by the windscreen.   That requires either a very low windscreen - like the Cafe's, a very tall one that you have to look through, or tucked in on your Ducati Panigale :018:

One issue that can be confusing is that one windscreen can be reported as working great by one person while another thinks it sucks...even though both people are the same height.  Of course, this can happen for two reasons - a different 'tolerance' for any turbulence, and the fact that two people of the same height can have dramatically different leg/torso sizes.  So their head height above the seat and in relation to the windscreen is quite different even though standing side by side they may be of identical heights.

I have ridden behind fairings that did a great job but, in every case, they were too ugly for me to consider.  For those of you old enough - the Vetter Windjammer was on a lot of Honda 750's back in the day; it worked great but left a bit to be desired in the looks department... :005:  You might be able to find a used one! :008:

https://farm8.static.flickr.com/7038/6962435333_7a81b0e410_b.jpg
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 07:27:10 AM by MexicoMike »
MexicoMike
1973 Norton Commando, BMW R9T (Mexico)
2017 BMW R1200RS (Texas, USA)
2019 Z900RS Cafe (UK)

Offline NKOTB 900RS

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: West Sussex
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 08:45:38 AM »
I had a similar screen on my GSX1400 and gave absolutely no wind protection at all. In the end, I decided that as it didn't do anything I dumped it. The screen I have on my RS came from Webike and I think it does a decent job, particularly as I'm a shortarse at around 5'7''. I think it comes down to personal choice in the end.
Kawasaki H1E; Triumph Bonneville Newchurch; Suzuki GSX1400
Triumph Thunderbird; Suzuki Bandit 600; Kawasaki GPZ500
Honda CB750W; Honda VTR500; Honda VTR250 (work hack)
Suzuki T250 (work hack); Kawasaki KH500; Laverda 750SF2
Yamaha RD200

Online Oop North John

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Inverurie
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 08:54:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by MexicoMike [+]
My experience with windscreens for normal riding - as opposed to tucked into a racing-type position/fairing - is that they don't work! :435:

Best screen for not having any issues with it, is no screen. I've had various bikes over the years and the one consistent thing is that if the bike has one, and there's a forum for it, then the biggest bitch / post count will be how to get the nirvana of no turbulence and protection.

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 09:56:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Oop North John [+]
Best screen for not having any issues with it, is no screen. I've had various bikes over the years and the one consistent thing is that if the bike has one, and there's a forum for it, then the biggest bitch / post count will be how to get the nirvana of no turbulence and protection.

Then they’re expecting too much from a wind screen.