Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Smartmoto-Electronics Fan Switch????  (Read 2636 times)

Offline BMHS

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: West Bend, WI
Re: Smartmoto-Electronics Fan Switch????
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 04:15:55 AM »
So,
I decided that I had some extra time on my hands, and so I began the process of modifying the fan relay switch so I could use it from the handlebars...
* The first thing to do was to get 5 colors of high quality 22 gauge multi strand wire, Amazon, $22.00 US.
* The second was to add 60" of wire to the switch end, and shrink wrap the soldered joints and about 3 feet of the wire harness.
* I then went back & mounted the switch back on to the handlebar mounts, raised the fuel tank, four 6mm bolts, very easy, and ran the harness through the frame.
* I removed the battery, found the relay box, and also found that there was no spare room for anything else down in the pocket. Making the harness was not hard, just a little time consuming, soldering on their end with the 4 wire connectors was not hard.
* Trying to fine a good place for their male/female connectors was really a pain. They did not allow enough wire length between the two connectors to position them without stress.
* I had to remove the fuse box's out of the way, & unplug the rectifier, so that I could get into the area & cut back some of the main harness end tape, to make room.
* So, all ended well, and all the systems work, including the fan relay switch
Would I do it again, not so sure. I ended up with a wiring system that is just as reliable as when it was stock, but I have been working on engines & bikes for 40 years.
If you are new to this, I would no recommend this temperature fix.
Brian

Online MexicoMike

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 07:32:06 AM »
If the engine is overheating, shouldn't the bike be taken to the dealer to have them correct the problem?   :187:
They would check to be sure the fan activates at the proper temp and correct that, as opposed to having to operate a switch to turn it on.  If it's not working properly, I'm sure it would be a warranty repair.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 07:35:57 AM by MexicoMike »
MexicoMike
1973 Norton Commando, BMW R9T (Mexico)
2017 BMW R1200RS (Texas, USA)
2019 Z900RS Cafe (UK)

Offline Oop North John

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Inverurie
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 08:08:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by MexicoMike [+]
If the engine is overheating, shouldn't the bike be taken to the dealer to have them correct the problem?   :187:

Nobody's said that their bike has overheated after I asked the question earlier, so is this a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?

If it gives people piece of mind then all well and good  :002:

Offline BMHS

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: West Bend, WI
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 05:35:22 AM »
Guys,
Let me add a few facts to this discussion...
Most motorcycles, and most car engines have a cooling system that operates between 180 F & 220 F.
The Z900RS has a warning light that comes on at 239 F, that's way too hot.
Most current engines in bikes & cars have thermostats that open 200 F / 210 F, and close at 170 F / 190 F. They can vary from that, but those are sort of normal numbers for smog engines.
The Z900RS thermostat opens at 144 F, fully open at 167 F, and closes at 131 F. The reason is that the bike has a fairly small radiator, because it's a retro styled bike.
The fan comes on at 212 F, and goes off at 208 F, which is way too high, by about 20 degrees, with very little temperature spread.
What all this means is that in heavy traffic, urban riding, low or no air flow through the radiator, it gets hot rather quickly, and the fan does not react, until it's pretty hot.
There is no doubt that when you have the ECU remapped for about $300.00 , they can, and do reset the fan to come on at a lower temp, which is good.
But, if you do not want to remove the Cat, and leave the stock exhaust system on the bike, a remapped  ECU is pretty much not worth it, due to the narrow band O2 sensor, still in the system, with the PAIR  air system.
So...
Tonight I took a 25 mile ride to see how the fan switch worked in real life. Most of my 1700 miles of riding so far, the temperature bar system on the dash has been at 3 bars for normal riding, (70 f / 85 F outside air). If it's a cool night (55 F / 60 F), and I'm doing 70 mph, it at  2 bars. If I stop at lights in town it's 4 bars, if I get in heavy stop and go traffic in Milwaukee, it's 5 bars. I have seen 6 bars once in heavy traffic, on a 90 degree day, that's 1 off of the high temp light. The bottom line during my ride tonight is pretty simple, the fan switch drops the temps by one bar, or it will drop the 4 bar to 3 bar, 5 bar to 4 bar, etc. If I stopped at a light that was long, I would see the 4 bars go to 3 bars as I was sitting at the light. Pretty simple.
Now the down side...
They included a little blue LED to let you know that switch is turned on, makes sense. Holy crap in the LED bright. When it finally got dark, the light was just glaring at me. So, back in the shop, I took a black paint pen and put a drop on the top of the light, so all I see is what's around the sides. Problem fixed.
So...
The bottom line, with the extra wire, etc, I have about $60.00 US invested in the whole deal, less my time, and it works good enough to leave it on the bike.
Brian
PS #1, Here's a day & night photo of the dash.
PS #2, look for my ad later this Fall for my new Titanium exhaust system that I am not going to use.

Online Hillie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 05:58:23 AM »
Thanks for the pics and explanations!

Online MexicoMike

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 07:06:05 AM »
It's important to remember that 239F is where the OVERHEAT light illuminates and that's exactly what it's telling you - the engine is overheating and continued operation at that (or higher) temps will damage the engine.  Most modern car engines have a similar overheat light actuation temp - 240F is pretty common. 

FWIW, the "fan-on" temp in many car engines nowadays is 215F-220F.  So from that aspect, the RS operation seems pretty typical.

Frankly, I agree with an earlier post that the "issue" is totally about what we like to see from temp gauges - operating in about the middle of the scale.  If Kawasaki had calibrated the segments so that 210 was in the middle of the scale, this "issue" wouldn't exist.  Related - I wonder if the ECU reflash that 'lowers" the temp that the fan activates, simply recalibrates the segments?  :112:
MexicoMike
2019 Z900RS Cafe (UK)

Offline halbie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Portland
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 07:57:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by MexicoMike [+]
Related - I wonder if the ECU reflash that 'lowers" the temp that the fan activates, simply recalibrates the segments?  :112:

With 2WDW flash, my fan comes on noticeably sooner and more often than stock.

Online MexicoMike

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 08:07:58 AM »
Just curious, do you happen to know at what temp the reflash triggers the fan? 

It would be easy enough to determine the temp difference, if not the precise figure, with an infrared temp gun shooting the radiator before/after reflash.  But since I have no plans to reflash my ECU, I won't be able to do that test!  :015:
MexicoMike
2019 Z900RS Cafe (UK)

Offline Mastrocinque

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawa Z900-RS Brown
  • Town / City: São Paulo
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 11:21:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by BMHS [+]

But, if you do not want to remove the Cat, and leave the stock exhaust system on the bike, a remapped  ECU is pretty much not worth it, due to the narrow band O2 sensor, still in the system, with the PAIR  air system.

I’ve seen a lot of members in this forum that flashed the ECU with the stock headers and cat.
As far as I can tell, they’re pretty much happy with it.
Paulo Mastrocinque

Offline exhdrdr

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawasaki Z900RS
  • Town / City: Silver City, N.M.
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 11:29:17 AM »
I was told by 2wheel on the phone that the fan comes on 10 degrees lower than stock.