Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: ECU flashing  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Dirty Dave

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Montreal
Re: ECU flashing
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2019, 12:28:18 PM »
Good point MexicoMike.

I had good results taking care of everything else but only had the snatchy problem completely resolved
after addressing the on/off fueling situation (flash). Bypassing the O2 sensor really helped as well.

I am completely satisfied with my results after the 2WDW flash but this debate will probably outlast me.

:159:

18 Z900RS Jaffa
97 Honda Valkyrie
79 Honda GoldWing

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Noblesville
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2019, 01:54:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by MexicoMike [+]
Just curious...could any of the "snatchy throttle issues" actually be chain or transmission snatch?  I've had bikes that exhibited that to a considerable degree which made throttle-off to throttle-on produce a fair 'jolt,' especially noticeable if done in a turn.

No, it's definitely a fueling issue to comply with stricter emissions.  They tune these bikes very lean from the factory and the 2018's had this on/off type throttle cut off which is very annoying when coming out of a turn and adding more throttle.  It's jerks you forward due to the lack of fuel in the off throttle.   I heard they addressed this issue in the 2019 models.  Still not perfect but better than the 2018's.   The ECU flash took care of the fueling issues and a lot more.  Bike is as smooth as glass and the way it should have come from the factory.     Definitely not a chain or transmission issue.
I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.

Offline RetroZ

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900rs
  • Town / City: Glasgow
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2019, 03:19:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by IndyTom [+]
I heard they addressed this issue in the 2019 models.  Still not perfect but better than the 2018's.
I heard the opposite, there were no changes to the fueling between 2018 & 2019 models, they are exactly the same?

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2019, 05:29:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by RetroZ [+]
I heard the opposite, there were no changes to the fueling between 2018 & 2019 models, they are exactly the same?

I heard it both ways.  Some people complaining about it and some don't.   I wonder if the ones that have the 2019 ever rode the 2018 to compare.   Either way,  I can't say for sure since I have never ridden a 2019.  But I will remedy that issue at AIM show at the end of September.   Planing on riding a ton of bikes and hopefully one of them will be a 2019 Z900RS.    I know one thing the Guhl Motors Flash did address all the little quirks on my bike and then some.  The throttle is nice and smooth and the Traction control can be turned on and off on the fly, The rev limiter raised, the O2 disabled and the fueling adjusted where it runs like a champ.   No complaints.   :028:
I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.

Online Hillie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2019, 02:49:26 AM »
Out of curiosity, what does disabling the O2 sensor bring?

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2019, 03:56:18 AM »
It allows for a richer air/fuel mixture whereas with the O2 sensor enabled it would throw a code and a check engine light and more than likely put the bike into Limp mode.   

Offline Ove

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: East of England
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2019, 04:53:25 AM »
No, it's definitely a fueling issue to comply with stricter emissions.  They tune these bikes very lean from the factory and the 2018's had this on/off type throttle cut off which is very annoying when coming out of a turn and adding more throttle.  It's jerks you forward due to the lack of fuel in the off throttle.   I heard they addressed this issue in the 2019 models.  Still not perfect but better than the 2018's.   The ECU flash took care of the fueling issues and a lot more.  Bike is as smooth as glass and the way it should have come from the factory.     Definitely not a chain or transmission issue.

Mine's a 2019 model. It had an on/off throttle  sensation from new. I complained at my 1st service and asked if there are any ECU updates. My dealer checked and reported  back there weren't  at the time, but adjusted the throttle  grip free play and the chain. It's been fine in the 2500 miles since and I no longer think about it.

Online Hillie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2019, 05:52:29 AM »
It allows for a richer air/fuel mixture whereas with the O2 sensor enabled it would throw a code and a check engine light and more than likely put the bike into Limp mode.

Fair enough. I'd expect it to not disable but rather use the O2 information and modify the code throwing threshold. But it makes sense, thanks!