Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Strange rattle after cleaning/relubing chain?  (Read 2022 times)

exhdrdr, hansvdc and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TallyRex

• Z900RS Master
  • Town / City: Tallahassee
Re: Strange rattle after cleaning/relubing chain?
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2019, 11:40:50 AM »
Hans,

In over 50 years of riding, I've never had a chain buzz.  If your old chain (that you said wasn't bad) didn't buzz, then perhaps you could re-install it.  If no buzz, then it very well might be the new chain

Offline Nutkwaka

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS + 1400GTR
  • Town / City: Maitland NSW
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2019, 01:53:17 PM »
I believe there is a chain guide on the top of the swingarm, near the front sprocket. May be worth checking?
Glen
2018 Z900RS
2012 1400GTR (Concours)
FarRider #772
IBA #60302      Ulysses #63003

Online Hillie

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2019, 09:46:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by hansvdc [+]
Facts are :
* no buzzing first 2.5K when I did nothing to the bike myself (except for first service at 1.000km by dealer)
* cleaned and lubed the chain, first time I did this, but followed instructions/youtube vids how to do it correctly

Do I understand you correctly in that you rode 1500km, or almost 940 miles, since your first service, without ever lubing the chain?

Offline Sath182

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: RS Cafe
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2019, 09:52:09 PM »
Not good for it, but that still wouldn't be enough to really damage the chain. Not unless OP was offroading the entire time.

Online hansvdc

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Oudenaarde
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2019, 10:19:58 PM »
Dealer told me to do nothing until first service, but weather was good too, never rode in rain. Like I said before, noise started after first clean/lube, not before. Compared to my friends z900rs today, noticed a similar buzz but way less pronounced and at a very low frequency, mine is way higher pitched. Sounds a bit like a hum on his, and angree bees on mine.

Offline peter88

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2019 JAFFA
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2019, 01:27:29 AM »
 I just listened back to the Honda video you posted & if your chain sounds like this then I don't really hear a problem, because it just sounds & looks like a clean and "very dry chain" on the Honda making the noise.  it did make me wonder if you have applied the lube to the outside of your chain "instead of the inside" ?  Which would mean you have a dry chain running around the sprocket & making a similar noise to the Honda.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 01:49:13 AM by peter88 »

Online Mastrocinque

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawa Z900-RS Brown
  • Town / City: São Paulo
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2019, 03:25:43 PM »
Hans,

I can understand your worryness. Every time I do something myself to the bike, it always makes me worry a lot and pay a lot of attention to the bike afterwards.

If you still don't find out what is happening after taking the RS to other dealers/bike shops, you could try installing your friends chain, just to check it if the noise is the same once his chain is on your bike.

I know it's a lot of trouble, but it may be the only way to put the meter to an end.

Keep us posted.
Paulo Mastrocinque

Offline Rudders

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Liphook
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2019, 03:51:37 PM »
So fair weather biking only for me, bike is Z900rs cafe, ridden pretty gently, not revved high. Unlikely to ever get wet. How often do people recommend cleaning/lubing and what products do folk use?
Grinning!

Offline TallyRex

• Z900RS Master
  • Town / City: Tallahassee
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2019, 06:33:02 PM »
Rudders,

Some say 250 miles to lube but individuals differ.  I suggest you lube when the rollers get shiny and clean it when the links get grimy

Online exhdrdr

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawasaki Z900RS
  • Town / City: Silver City, N.M.
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2019, 07:27:34 PM »
I don't ride in wet weather and I clean and lube my chain every 500 miles.  How you clean it and how you lube it is just like what kind of oil you put in the engine, use what you like.