Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Strange rattle after cleaning/relubing chain?  (Read 10689 times)

Offline hansvdc

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Oudenaarde
Re: Strange rattle after cleaning/relubing chain?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2019, 04:50:29 PM »
Lubed the way it should be done, checked a couple youtube vids before I started. Like I said before, the noise is not there when the bike is rolling with clutch engaged or when slowing down, it only appears when throttling. I have no paddock stand to try this out in the garage.

Offline Hillie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2019, 05:06:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by hansvdc [+]
Lubed the way it should be done, checked a couple youtube vids before I started. Like I said before, the noise is not there when the bike is rolling with clutch engaged or when slowing down, it only appears when throttling. I have no paddock stand to try this out in the garage.

Just wanted to make sure the rollers got your attention. :)

Without a stand, get a friend, put the bike on the side stand and stand on that (left) side. Hold the left handlebar and grab around the seat or the frame on the right side with your right hand. Now roll the bike more onto the side stand, as if you want to tip it over it. You'll find your rear wheel come off the ground a bit. Make sure you stand firm and have proper hold, it'll be a bit of muscling you need to do. Now your friend comes in to roll the rear wheel and you can identify the sound better without engine noise, wind noise and traffic to be concerned about. Plus your friend can put his ear around the parts to identify the source, if any. If you can't reproduce it, it may be something else, although the timing hints strongly to something of a chain issue. Rear brake drag? Thought I heard a little bit of pad/disk slide, but I couldn't really tell in the short clip.

The fact you don't hear it when slowing or using the clutch seems to indicate to me it's not really a chain thing. Maybe just a bike noise that you only noticed now? If you have some fellow bike friends close by, ask them if they hear anything weird, or a good mechanic you trust.

Offline hansvdc

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2019, 11:30:13 AM »
So went to the dealer today, they took it to a test drive and said they couldn't hear anything  :013: Typical. When I showed them the video I took, even then they said 'nope, can't hear anything'. Only thing they said was that by cleaning the chain, it might have a different sound than before because the links are more flexible. Also asked about the chain being maybe a bit loose (got about 5cm of slack which seems too much). Nope, they didn't even wanna take a look at it, it's fine.

Drove to my friend's house (who lives 3km from dealer and has the same Z900RS), he took it for a drive and immediately noticed the noise. Definitely a chain-noise. His chain has way less slack than mine too. Not going back to the dealer, they always make me feel like an idiot asking to check things, everything is always "ok" and it seems the main goal is to get me out of there asap (friend has same feeling). So asked a local dealer (other brands) if he would like to take a look at it, awaiting response...

Anyway, I suppose it's definitely not a mechanical problem since dealer won't take a risk letting me ride a bike within guarantee with a problem, might indeed be that cleaning the chain has made the noise characteristic a bit different, and this coupled with a possible too loose chain (dealer said cleaning might have caused the links to get a bit further apart than before) might be the cause of the buzzing sound when there's tension on the chain. Maybe the chain just rubs the swing-arm. Dunno, hope the local motorcycle dealer has more than 3mins time to take a good look at it.

Kinda disappointed, bought 2 X Z900RS together with my friend 2 months ago, very friendly during the sales talk but once delivered, they got no time. Really annoyed by this. Anyway, on topic... do you guys think a chain that's a bit too loose might cause a buzzing/rattling noise that wasn't there before?

Offline peter88

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2019 JAFFA
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2019, 11:31:41 AM »
So you're saying after cleaning the chain I should go for a ride to warm up the chain? So without any lube applied? Not sure why I would be paranoid, figured it couldn't hurt asking if I did something wrong.
Yes that is correct, ride it until warm without any lube, it is a sealed chain so you won't damage anything. 

Online Oop North John

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: NE Scotland
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2019, 12:08:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by peter88 [+]
Yes that is correct, ride it until warm without any lube, it is a sealed chain so you won't damage anything.

In which case, you might as well lube it when it's cold then?

Offline Hillie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2019, 02:07:32 PM »
Kinda disappointed, bought 2 X Z900RS together with my friend 2 months ago, very friendly during the sales talk but once delivered, they got no time. Really annoyed by this.

For this reason I learned to do all kinds of things myself. Buy some tools, get the service manual and check some good YouTube sources (never delboy's garage!) and start looking at things yourself. For the stuff you don't want to do, talk to other bikers and find a mechanic they have good experience with. Forget your dealer.

Offline hansvdc

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2019, 03:17:34 PM »
Brother-in-law just checked the chain, lessened the slack a little bit but the noise when throttling/accelerator/driving in gear stays. Always goes away when slowing down or when clutch is engaged, but as soon as I accelerate....bzzzzz, coming from front sprocket. We checked that area, clean as can be. So I suppose the cleaning of the chain somehow changed the noise characteristics of it. I definitely feel a slight more buzz too than before. Re-lubed more than enough now. Out of ideas :(

Suppose the chain cleaner I used (and forgot to rinse off) got between the o-rings and thus messed up the fluidity of the chain, would that be possible cause for this issue? In other words, would a chain with these bad o'rings make this buzzing sound?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 04:11:12 PM by hansvdc »

Offline Vester86

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Jaffa 2018
  • Town / City: The Netherlands
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2019, 05:02:05 PM »
try some thick grease that you apply with a brush. i noticed some of the noises too after i was spraying my chain on holidays, now i applied my own grease again and the noise (+some slight vibrations) are gone

Offline hansvdc

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2019, 06:26:56 PM »
Which product would you recommend or do you use?

Offline Vester86

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Jaffa 2018
  • Town / City: The Netherlands
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2019, 11:08:34 PM »
Motorex Bike Grease 2000. have my current pot for about 2 years now (for 2 bikes) & not even halfway