Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Kawasaki Heated Grips  (Read 31352 times)

Online Seventies four e

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Staffs
Re: Kawasaki Heated Grips
Reply #120 on: October 17, 2020, 08:35:37 PM
Operation heated begins, in the U.K. cradley heath Kawasaki is one of longest established dealerships, they probably sold a couple of original Z1 models although I believe there were on 39 sold. There are now thousands as we have imported lots!
Cradley always recommend Daytona hot grips they fitted them to my 650 versys and they were faultless.  The latest model have switch built into lefthand  grip and look sensational and a fraction of the cost of oem.
I'm confident as fitting seems doable although it does feel like operating on one of my own children!
These 12 pages have been super helpful but I may still need your help and IF my installation is successful I will be there to help others.
Not offered grips and cables up to bike yet but can see no reason to remove fuel tank?  And on page 12 there is some  debate on plug in white wire and battery negative or two pin plug behind left hand panel? As fuse been sufficient on your installations?

Online CaliZed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS God
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold CA.
Reply #121 on: October 17, 2020, 08:57:08 PM
How do heated grips warm the tops of your hands, the part that actually gets cold?

Offline Entropy

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Cleethorpes
Reply #122 on: October 17, 2020, 09:12:48 PM
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]
How do heated grips warm the tops of your hands, the part that actually gets cold?

it was my experience with heated grips on a Street Triple that they don't.  I bought some RST heated gloves that have their own battery - on the low setting they last about 3 or 4 hours.

Online Seventies four e

• Z900RS Member
Reply #123 on: October 17, 2020, 09:14:41 PM
CaliZed9..
Just took a look at average temps in your neck of the woods.. unless I'm mistaken you need not concern yourself with the properties of heated grips.
Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 09:17:50 PM by Seventies four e

Online CaliZed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS God
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold CA.
Reply #124 on: October 17, 2020, 10:19:00 PM
*Originally Posted by Seventies four e [+]
CaliZed9..
Just took a look at average temps in your neck of the woods.. unless I'm mistaken you need not concern yourself with the properties of heated grips.

Not concerned at all, just asking.  When I tour I take my heated gloves.  They’ve worked very well thru eleven western states from sea level to Pike’s Peak. 

Offline Dirty Dave

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2018 Jaffa
  • Town / City: Montreal
Reply #125 on: October 18, 2020, 01:27:48 PM
Never used heated grips but for long trips I use a heated vest to keep my core warm
when needed.

Makes a big difference.
18 Z900RS Jaffa
97 Honda Valkyrie
79 Honda GoldWing

Online Hillie

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
Reply #126 on: October 18, 2020, 03:57:06 PM
For me the hands are the most difficult ones in wintertime, even when I'm all warm and toasty otherwise. Ideally something that blocks the wind better would be enough, but I'm not keen on adding handguards.

Online Seventies four e

• Z900RS Member
Reply #127 on: October 18, 2020, 05:15:07 PM
I think heated grips were very much a BMW thing along with shaft drive obviously northern Europe offers a unique set of challenges,  And for many of us our bike would be our sole mean of transport.  So everything from fairings, proper mudguards, ex army riding kit and long before handguards we had hippo hands I'm sure there is a image out there. Of course the ultimate add on as the family grew was a double adult sidecar!
Rick brett once told me that the bulk of Japanese bike production went to the USA especially the warmer parts were heated grips and weather protection was not really a consideration. And awash with leisure cash that cb750 or kettle was not your sole transport.
Two of my riding friends suffer from vibration white finger from using tools in coal mines and heavy industry without heated grips riding outside of summer is almost impossible.  Most riders in U.K. are probably 50 plus so anything that helps keep us comfortable is very desirable.

Offline Entropy

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Cleethorpes
Reply #128 on: October 18, 2020, 06:08:39 PM
*Originally Posted by Hillie [+]
For me the hands are the most difficult ones in wintertime, even when I'm all warm and toasty otherwise.

me too, nevertheless I fitted handguards to my SV650 (from the DL650 Vstrom) with the intention of removing them for the Summer (I never did).  They do make a difference but I still ended up buying heated gloves.

Online pikerin

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS candy brown
  • Town / City: Vigo
Reply #129 on: October 18, 2020, 07:41:13 PM
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]

They don't, I have OEM heated grips and when it gets very cold, on long trips I also get very cold on the top of my fingers, on the knuckles, this year I mounted a hand guards that, I know, they look horrible on the bike, but they do the trick and yesterday I had a great experience with them on, when spring arrives I will take them off.