Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Clutch question?  (Read 2105 times)

Offline smoked21

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: z900ej
  • Town / City: Greenwood,La
Re: Clutch question?
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 11:20:18 PM »
That is definitely not normal part of break in or otherwise.Let the dealer check it soon

Offline kawman

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: New Ipswich NH
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 03:24:38 AM »
thanx to all for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated!
I was at the dealers tonight picking up a couple oil filters and the
radiator guard, spoke with the service dept and they said to bring it in and they will look at it.
My salesman said I could take the demo for a putt and compare them also.
I wonder if it could be KTRC ?
I'll know more tomorrow.
I'll be bringing it to them early afternoon and will fill everyone in as soon as I know whats up.
thanx again
Den

Offline flynbulldog

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: lotobikes
  • Town / City: Greensboro NC
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 06:01:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by IndyTom [+]
It has nothing to do with the slipper clutch.   All a slipper clutch does is prevent the rear wheel from locking up when you downshift into a too low of a gear.

True that a slipper is designed to allow the rear to spin rather than lock up but a slipper clutch often has an odd feeling though the lever when down shifting. The RS is rarely noticeable (I have felt it from time to time) but some bikes like my old MV Agusta Brutale and several Ducatis I've owned had a very distinct clunkieness at the lever. Having said all of that it doesn't sound like what the OP is describing.

I have had Ducatis with dry clutches that chatter on take-off. It can be caused by an imbalance in the clutch springs or possibly a defect in one or more of the plates. I would take it to the dealer and have it looked at.

Offline Ove

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: East of England
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 12:18:15 PM »
I also have a slight grabbing sensation if I'm setting off in 1st at less than 2k revs. I only did this when I was in front of a mate on his cbr600, who seems to pull away in every situation with over 10k revs.

Does anyone know if the slipper clutch and ECU work together? I have always blipped the throttle when applying front brake and downshifting at higher rpm for engine braking. I'm ok at it, but i never managed to get it 100% coordinated 100% of the time, but it seems always spot on with the RS, i suspect its helping me out? It definitely feels like the engine blips up to match wheel speed before the clutch engages, rather than the clutch just slipping, if you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 12:22:08 PM by Ove »

Offline Nutkwaka

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS + 1400GTR
  • Town / City: Maitland NSW
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 12:29:40 PM »
This bike is geared so low (stock) that I can move off from stopped with no throttle, and no chatter.
Glen
2018 Z900RS
2012 1400GTR (Concours)
FarRider #772
IBA #60302      Ulysses #63003

Offline flynbulldog

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: lotobikes
  • Town / City: Greensboro NC
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 12:59:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ove [+]

Does anyone know if the slipper clutch and ECU work together? I have always blipped the throttle when applying front brake and downshifting at higher rpm for engine braking. I'm ok at it, but i never managed to get it 100% coordinated 100% of the time, but it seems always spot on with the RS, i suspect its helping me out? It definitely feels like the engine blips up to match wheel speed before the clutch engages, rather than the clutch just slipping, if you know what I mean.
No, the RS has no throttle servo, only a tps system so theres no way for it to "help" on your down shifts. Seems like you've perfected your down shifts  :028:

Offline Ove

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: East of England
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2019, 02:17:20 PM »
Thanks for info. Doubt it's me! The slipper clutch alone must be helping, by compensating for the cock-ups.  :062:

Interesting some of us have a grabbing and some dont. Variations in run-in, maybe I was too careful? Or different oils? I'm on 2nd lot of oil. Or variations in clutch manufacture / other tolerances?

Mine is only v occasional and not very noticeable. Not worried, unless it gets worse, which I'm not expecting..

Offline kawman

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: New Ipswich NH
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2019, 02:51:28 PM »
More questions than answers I'm afraid,
taximan62 mentioned try to pullaway with more authority and the issue was stoping with him, I actually did start doing this right away and the problem stopped immediately. BUT at the same time like a fool I ALSO shut off the ABS totally before taking off,,,, never change more than one thing at a time! I did not know that It could be turned off completely to begin with.
And it does not stay off, after a restart it will resort to level one again.
Even when I forget to set it back to Zero again the problem has not resurfaced tho.
NOW-To make things even more confusing if I take off with zero or strong authority with or without ABS
and low rpm vs higher rpm,,,, the problem is non existent.
So after putting 400 more miles on the bike since this question arose I have not had the issue again. Very strange! 775 current miles.
The bike is currently in the shop for ABS recall, along with needing a couple other things that I will post on in the main forum(diff topic rider safety ),,
needed the module, the dealer was thinking maybe that could have something to do with it? I can't see how unless the module controls engine rpm thru ignition control? I definately do not know.
I wish I had more of a def answer as to why the issue stopped, but at the same time I'm real glad it did!
At the 300 mile mark I changed the oil using castrol semi synth 10w40 with a factory filter and was enjoying the bike ,,
untill I hit a moose,, I'll repost that wonderful adventure in the main section cause its def a diff topic,,,,
Strange huh,

Thank you
Den

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Noblesville
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2019, 03:55:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by kawman [+]
More questions than answers I'm afraid,
taximan62 mentioned try to pullaway with more authority and the issue was stoping with him, I actually did start doing this right away and the problem stopped immediately. BUT at the same time like a fool I ALSO shut off the ABS totally before taking off,,,, never change more than one thing at a time! I did not know that It could be turned off completely to begin with.
And it does not stay off, after a restart it will resort to level one again.
Even when I forget to set it back to Zero again the problem has not resurfaced tho.
NOW-To make things even more confusing if I take off with zero or strong authority with or without ABS
and low rpm vs higher rpm,,,, the problem is non existent.
So after putting 400 more miles on the bike since this question arose I have not had the issue again. Very strange! 775 current miles.
The bike is currently in the shop for ABS recall, along with needing a couple other things that I will post on in the main forum(diff topic rider safety ),,
needed the module, the dealer was thinking maybe that could have something to do with it? I can't see how unless the module controls engine rpm thru ignition control? I definately do not know.
I wish I had more of a def answer as to why the issue stopped, but at the same time I'm real glad it did!
At the 300 mile mark I changed the oil using castrol semi synth 10w40 with a factory filter and was enjoying the bike ,,
untill I hit a moose,, I'll repost that wonderful adventure in the main section cause its def a diff topic,,,,
Strange huh,

Thank you
Den

You can't shut off the ABS on this bike.   What you meant is the Traction Control.   So is your bike in the shop for an ABS recall or a Traction control recall?    I didn't even know there was a recall on this bike.
I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.

Online exhdrdr

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawasaki Z900RS
  • Town / City: Silver City, N.M.
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2019, 04:04:38 PM »
There was an issue with a wire or line near the back brake on some bikes where the wire or line needed to be re-routed to remove potential of possible wear. My bike was not one of those  included in the recall. Nothing to do with abs as I recall.