Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: TOURING COMPANIES  (Read 536 times)

Offline RICHINGREEN

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Fairview
TOURING COMPANIES
« on: June 17, 2019, 01:23:39 PM »
Thinking about doing an overseas tour next summer with a tour company before I get too old.  The Alps jump out at me as a destination, but Italy or Scandinavia would also be interesting.
Has anyone here had any experience with These tour companies?
RP

Offline Oop North John

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Inverurie
Re: TOURING COMPANIES
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 01:40:43 PM »
It might help you to get useful information if you let us know whether it's hiring a bike on this side of the Atlantic, or using your own?

The Alps are also in Italy, aka the Dolomites.

Do not buy this book if you only want to have a short tour: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOTORCYCLE-JOURNEYS-THROUGH-ALPS-B/dp/1884313388   :305:

Offline hell-wart

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawa Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: Bingen/ Rhein
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 02:24:37 PM »
Do you want to do a guided tour or rent a bike and drive your own tours?   :305:
My bike history:  Yamaha TY50, Suzuki GT250, Honda CB 650, Kawasaki Z 650, Kawasaki Zephyr 550 + Yamaha XS 400, Harley Sportster 1986 + Kawasaki Zephyr 750 D,
Today: Kawasaki Z900 RS + Harley Sportster 1986

Offline RICHINGREEN

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Fairview
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 02:29:22 PM »
I'm looking at doing a guided tour with a tour company like Beach's or Edelweiss.  A company that supplies the bikes, a tour guide and also makes all of the hotel reservations.  Many also bring your luggage in a van so that you don't need a big touring bike.
RP

Offline OKZ

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Multiple bikes
  • Town / City: Edmond, OK
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 02:46:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by RICHINGREEN [+]
I'm looking at doing a guided tour with a tour company like Beach's or Edelweiss.  A company that supplies the bikes, a tour guide and also makes all of the hotel reservations.  Many also bring your luggage in a van so that you don't need a big touring bike.

I too have been wanting to do this with Edelweiss, then have so many tours all over the works it's hard to pick one.  :027:
Technology: Man's ability to make simple things complicated.
2018 Z900RS - Hooligan bike
2018 BMW K1600B - for traveling in style and comfort

Offline CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold CA.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 03:44:13 AM »
Iíve heard from more than one source that the average speed of these tours is under 35 mph. 

Offline exhdrdr

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawasaki Z900RS
  • Town / City: Silver City, N.M.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 04:29:10 AM »
Well then, that would be great if they supplied Harleys

Offline OKZ

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Multiple bikes
  • Town / City: Edmond, OK
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 11:58:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]
Iíve heard from more than one source that the average speed of these tours is under 35 mph.

From some people I know that have been on a tour or two with them, it depends on the guide and the group your with. Both times that I have heard of the pace was decent when riding through the twisty fun stuff.
Technology: Man's ability to make simple things complicated.
2018 Z900RS - Hooligan bike
2018 BMW K1600B - for traveling in style and comfort

Offline Kilter

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Bike: Tiger1050
  • Town / City: Aurora ON
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 12:09:22 AM »
I've been on three tours with Edelweiss, European Alps (Austria,Germany,Italy,Switzerland) the Canary Islands and most recently Norway. They run a tight ship and having a local/guide is nice for a little history and local knowledge of the days stops and sights. Well maintained bikes and usually supplied with luggage so you can take rain gear etc with you while your personal luggage is either in the hotel or in the 'chase van'. Not cheap but well worth the cost. As for the pace, smaller groups are limited only to the slowest rider, and larger groups can split into two groups when there's two tour guides riding. All the guides have been willing to help plan/share the route if you find the pace of the group to be too slow allowing you to go off on your own and rejoin the group later for lunch/dinner/coffee etc. Only once in three tours did I feel the need to go off with the 'fast group' and break from the tour for a bit. but we had a couple of riders that were not comfortable passing slow moving traffic and that will drive even the most sane man to drink.... Mostly the tours traveled at or above the posted limits on the roads we were on.

The biggest praise I can give them is that I plan to do more tours with them when I can.